By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBONE this is BIG! Pillaged from NeoGaf

Euphoria14 said:

Okay, after reading different explanations from different people I came to one conclusion on how this works, if we are to trust what the support team said.

1. Gamer buys an XBox One.
  2. Gamer adds (10) people to his/her Family Group. This is called "Family Group" because it is looked at as how gaming functions within (1) household.
  3. These (10) people gain access to Gamer's entire library. However, they can't just play whatever they want, whenever they want. 
  4. When Gamer is playing a title (1) member of Gamer's Family Group can join in and play along with them. This is where the (1) at a time limit comes into play.
  5. If Gamer is playing no games the members of his/her Family Group are unable to play any of Gamer's games.
Out of the (2) scenarios I posted I believe this one to be the most realistic.

This make the most sense and would prevent abuse and it would be their way to remove split-screen multiplayer

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
chapset said:
Euphoria14 said:

Okay, after reading different explanations from different people I came to one conclusion on how this works, if we are to trust what the support team said.

1. Gamer buys an XBox One.
  2. Gamer adds (10) people to his/her Family Group. This is called "Family Group" because it is looked at as how gaming functions within (1) household.
  3. These (10) people gain access to Gamer's entire library. However, they can't just play whatever they want, whenever they want. 
  4. When Gamer is playing a title (1) member of Gamer's Family Group can join in and play along with them. This is where the (1) at a time limit comes into play.
  5. If Gamer is playing no games the members of his/her Family Group are unable to play any of Gamer's games.
Out of the (2) scenarios I posted I believe this one to be the most realistic.

This make the most sense and would prevent abuse and it would be their way to remove split-screen multiplayer

Yes and while not exactly the same thing, it is somewhat similar to when Sony stated how you could be playing a game and if you needed help you could allow a friend to stream the game to their console and have them play portions of your game for you. They are features that try to replicate the advantages of multiple gamers being in one place without actually having to be in one place. Both features require the owner of the game to be playing the game.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Madword said:

1 in ten person who owned an xbox shared a single game with their mates, thats a lot of lost sales if they were all able to play that game. This would be worse for publishers than trade in's to Gamestop.. because at least people are using that cash to buy other games.

Eh,  seems overexagerated.    I mean, what are the chances for example that your ten friends all have the EXACT same game prefrences as you and would buy ALL the same games?

Also think about when your adding people.  Do you personally know 10 people who are going to get an Xbox One?

Ten that share similar tastes to you?

If not then you have to go online to find people.  Where you'll be worried about scammers joining up and never buying a game.  So you'll be hesitant to add strangers.   Sure people on sites like this MIGHT have it made. (while probably still running into your fair share of scammers)

However people on videogame sites are actually a small minority.

I'd guess most people stick with friends they've known in person only.  Who may have very different gaming tastes.

As for used games.  Used games could get well more then 10 times over if we're talking a short 5-9 hour mostly single player expierence.  Which is where games have been going lately.

starcraft said:

It hasnt been said anywhere, but it wouldnt surprise me if you're not allowed to change your 10 people after you've selected them.

I haven't seen anything explicit about that. The only restriction I've seen is that a person has to be on your friends list for at least 30 days before using your games.

But I guess I'm picturing it as a family group of 10 people who all share each other's games rather than YOU pick 10 people to use your games, and each of THEM can pick 10 people to use their games, etc. So I think it makes more sense to let people come and go.

Kasz216 said:

Eh,  seems overexagerated.    I mean, what are the chances for example that your ten friends all have the EXACT same game prefrences as you and would buy ALL the same games?

Also think about when your adding people.  Do you personally know 10 people who are going to get an Xbox One?

Ten that share similar tastes to you?

If not then you have to go online to find people.  Where you'll be worried about scammers joining up and never buying a game.  So you'll be hesitant to add strangers.   Sure people on sites like this MIGHT have it made. (while probably still running into your fair share of scammers)

However people on videogame sites are actually a small minority.

I'd guess most people stick with friends they've known in person only.  Who may have very different gaming tastes.

As for used games.  Used games could get well more then 10 times over if we're talking a short 5-9 hour mostly single player expierence.  Which is where games have been going lately.

Yes of course i am talking about worst case scenario, but its still a scenario that just like used games publishers have no controls over the total number that could use the game.... If certain publishers are trying to shut down the used game market, how would they be happy with this.

From what people are saying here, I do suspect its some kind of co-op option.. join in and play.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

I see it as a marketing strategy in someway. It allows friends to try before they buy. If your friend plays the game and likes the game enough that they want it, they'll go buy it.

In another way, it can save money amongst your family/friends. I have a brother that doesn't enjoy playing some online multiplayer games alone, and would only play if his friends or I are in the game.

Kasz216 said:

Perhaps it's a bargain in response for Xbox forcing the used game sales thing.  I mean, on the face while this sounds awesome.

In reality, just how often will this be used by the average consumer?

To me it sounds like the old rebate "scam".  Even when rebates are thousands of dollars... a lot of the time people just won't send them in.   Regular people, not just real people.

Then add in that at least SOME of that saved money will be spent on other games.  It's probably not as bad as you'd think.

Heck even the more mercanary of gamers are going to be hesiatant about WHO they add as their family.  Unless you can drop and add family at will you want to make sure you don't end up with a mooch. 

Meaning if you can't... we're probably just look at people who know each other well adding each other... and chances are a lot of THOSE people won't play games as much as the couple APLHA buyers.  Meaning they're likely just broadening their horizens.

Could be. But if publishers are blaming rented games piracy used games for all of their woes instead of their own ineptitude, I just can't see them being cool with something so easily exploitable. Seemingly all you'd have to do is go into the "family group" thread on GAF or whatever, have everyone add everyone else so that they're all on each other's friends list for 30+ days (since there is no more 100 friends limit), ask around to see who has the game you want, and join their group.

Then again, if as I speculated (and I now see someone else says it is in the terms) publishers can make it so that you can't share their games, then maybe it will mostly be a first party games thing.

Kasz216 said:
Jazz2K said:
I don't see how this is worst than Sony giving away games to PS+ members.

Sony kicks back a percentage of PS+ subscriptions to the developers who agree to have their games be given away from free on PS+.  Plus these are games who's sales have already dried up by the time they're given away by PS+.

So it's not like I buy FF14 at release, and my 10 buddies and I can play it launch week, instead of say.... 4 or 5 of us buying it.  (not everyone is gonna want to buy FF afterall.)

What do you mean dried up... like they're not going to sell anymore anyway? If Sony gives a cut to devs then I don't see a problem. 

Lets play a game. I need to folks willing to buy the X1 day one. Imaging paying only $6 for a $60 game. :D
...... LOL

Although im sure it won't work like this. Too risky.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Jazz2K said:
Kasz216 said:
Jazz2K said:
I don't see how this is worst than Sony giving away games to PS+ members.

Sony kicks back a percentage of PS+ subscriptions to the developers who agree to have their games be given away from free on PS+.  Plus these are games who's sales have already dried up by the time they're given away by PS+.

So it's not like I buy FF14 at release, and my 10 buddies and I can play it launch week, instead of say.... 4 or 5 of us buying it.  (not everyone is gonna want to buy FF afterall.)

What do you mean dried up... like they're not going to sell anymore anyway? If Sony gives a cut to devs then I don't see a problem. 

I mean, they aren't selling anymore by the time they get on PS+.

Games don't go on PS+ until the bulk of their sales have happened already.  Meaning the people who get it for free are basically the people who weren't that interested and weren't going to buy it in the first place.

While this... in the circles that network to the max, people will get to play games they would of wanted day one for free.