By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBONE this is BIG! Pillaged from NeoGaf

badgenome said:
wfz said:
Wow, third parties are going to hate this, I'm assuming. Now the people don't even have to pay a used game fee or anything. Each game purchase can potentially = 10 playable games.

You and your friends can play COD together without all needing to buy the game. That is huge.

And Activision has never given a shit about used games to the point of using online passes because more used copies of COD = more map packs sold. But if you can share COD (+ presumably all your DLC maps) with 10 people... ruh roh!

I reckon that will be the rub.  You'll still have to buy your own DLC.

That said, outside of games like COD, an awful lot of game sharing already goes on between friends.

It hasnt been said anywhere, but it wouldnt surprise me if you're not allowed to change your 10 people after you've selected them.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

Okay, after reading different explanations from different people I came to one conclusion on how this works, if we are to trust what the support team said.

1. Gamer buys an XBox One.
  2. Gamer adds (10) people to his/her Family Group. This is called "Family Group" because it is looked at as how gaming functions within (1) household.
  3. These (10) people gain access to Gamer's entire library. However, they can't just play whatever they want, whenever they want. 
  4. When Gamer is playing a title (1) member of Gamer's Family Group can join in and play along with them. This is where the (1) at a time limit comes into play.
  5. If Gamer is playing no games the members of his/her Family Group are unable to play any of Gamer's games.
Out of the (2) scenarios I posted I believe this one to be the most realistic.

This makes the most potential since out of everything I've read, and takes a vast amount of the oomph and impact out of the feature, while still being pretty cool overall. It's funny looking at how everyone seemed to think it would be this big and open feature without a variety of decently strict restrictions put into place to avoid exploitation.

I don't see how this is worst than Sony giving away games to PS+ members.

Also, if a game is rented, doesn't that game can be rented like a thousand times while now it would be shared to only ten people.

Owner of the game can always play his game and he can play the game online with only one of his family member at a time. Once the shared copy is being played by a family member, other members can't play the shared game. It's not complicated at all...

I believe there will be some kind of catch though. Since you can share the game with ten family members but you can also "give" the game to someone from your friend list if he's been your friend for at least 30 days and get access to all the games's features... this is where lies the catch I believe.

Since you can give the game and access all features, that means shared games will lack features. I mean, maybe you can share COD with a family member but that shared game can't do much more than single player. Only the owner of the game can invite you to a multiplayer session. Also maybe the single player part of the shared game does not have all features like achievements, different difficulty levels etc...

Just a thought

Ok seriously. There is no one here that can explain the process... Hell, I don't even think that MS knows what they are talking about... This is is the most confusing UI I have ever seen.

So I can play may game at the same time as another person? That's cool
If only one person can play it at a time than what the hell is the point?

Also, how does the DRM fit in with this? If I let's say check in in the morning and so will the rest of my "family" and then disconnect and start a game then so can my "family" right?

Or do they have to connected the whole time? Wtf dude? How is an average Best Buy employee going to explain this s**t?

Jazz2K said:
I don't see how this is worst than Sony giving away games to PS+ members.

Sony kicks back a percentage of PS+ subscriptions to the developers who agree to have their games be given away from free on PS+.  Plus these are games who's sales have already dried up by the time they're given away by PS+.

So it's not like I buy FF14 at release, and my 10 buddies and I can play it launch week, instead of say.... 4 or 5 of us buying it.  (not everyone is gonna want to buy FF afterall.)

Around the Network

I believe you can only have 1 player being shared a game. I can't see 10 players sharing it at the same time considering that could be a massive loophole into another videogame crash..

they can use your games library but 1 game can be used by one person at a time.

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

My understanding is this:

You can have ten people on your gaming list.

A disk owner can play a game at any time under any conditions (likely with or without the disk in the drive). At the same time, one member of their ten person list can ALSO be playing that game.

THAT is pretty awesome. In a nutshell, to all play at once you would need to purchase one game between two, which instantly halves the cost of all games this generation, which more than compensates for having to connect once a day to the internet.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Yeah PSN+ is a different model as Kasz216 says they give money to companies to put them online...

I dont want to call BS, I think most of us are intelligent here enough to just want to understand what it is they are trying to do, because as it stands its not very clear.

1 in ten person who owned an xbox shared a single game with their mates, thats a lot of lost sales if they were all able to play that game. This would be worse for publishers than trade in's to Gamestop.. because at least people are using that cash to buy other games.

It doesn't make sense that's all,

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!