By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Calm down, MS policies are not that bad.

The Fury said:
starcraft said:

Do you own a smartphone?  A smartphone can link your Xbox ONE to the internet for the few seconds authentication takes.

There is plentiful evidence that used games have contributed to some game developers going out of business.  I agree that this is not the sole cause of any one developer going under.

Again, I will emphasise you do not need a good internet connection to play Xbox One.  You simply need an internet connection of any kind.  Even on your phone.

I will also point out what many already have.  If you cannot afford any internet, $400+ consoles already aren't for you...

I don't have a smart phone, no need for one personally, but I have no doubt a phone network would be enough to authenticate the Xbone, as Im sure it's a tiny packet that is sent over however... why should you? Even if it only takes 10 minutes to do this check, you still have to do it.

I just don't buy from what people are saying how used games are hurting the industry and closing developers, if it has an impact it is minor at best. Piracy closes studios, bad money management, bad sales of a product. No one can even tell how much of an affect used games sales truely has as there are no figures. I said in another thread about how I believe that once a developer/publisher sells a copy of the game, they don't need to worry what happens to it, they have their money from that purchase, if the customer wishes sell it because he wasn't enjoying it then let them, this includes all their rights to play the game as well including online. He doesn't own it anymore after that, a new person does, no change in number of owners (and in the case of many online games, a potential customer to buy DLC where the original customer would have let the game sit on a shelf and never purchase DLC at all).

On you last point, I read a post on a new website comments section yesterday. A guy who works in the Navy on an aircraft carrier. He can happily and easily afford a $400 console, his internet connection though is something entirely different situation.

This also stops piracy. Also and yes used games have closed many studios. Look at the record profits of gamestop. All that money is mostly on used games. All that money is not going into the Software market. I'm more concerned about the developers.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
starcraft said:

When game companies do this at present they tend to send through a patch before hand making offline play possible

I'm not willing to make a gamble of hundreds of dollars worth of system/games on that. :P

If it all really went wrong in 'a decade or two' as you said, I think you'd get over it

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I'll put it this way, If sony were doing this with the ps4 aswell I wouldn't buy either. Id probably swallow my dislike for the WiiU and buy one.

Farsala said:

Main reason people might do that is because: Xbox 360 had pay for online Xbox live, PS4 now has pay for online PS plus. Xbox One has no used games, DRM, etc. PS5 now has etc.

OT: There is quite a few MS fanboys that are now not getting Xbox One because of its policies, so it is not just Sony fanboys. This issue is big and will probably be talked about the entire generation, probably more then pay for online Xbox live did.

Well your beef should be with Sony if they choose to adopt MS's practices. Regardless, going all digital is pretty much inevitable. MS is just doing it faster than I anticipated.

The most vocal people hate MS regardless.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Kyuu said:

We do that because you're supporting dangerous policies that, we think, will potentially destroy real gaming for good. you will be grateful to those protesters when MS changes plans and come back to their senses.

With all honesty I don't like Microsoft, I never felt being treated right as their customer. But I have zero problems with Xbox owners. You guys keep antagonizing us for no reason whatsoever.

This is going to destroy real gaming for good? I'm not even sure what that means.

Us guys keep antagonizing you? Elaborate.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

No developer closed because of used games.

Mr Puggsly said:
Farsala said:

Main reason people might do that is because: Xbox 360 had pay for online Xbox live, PS4 now has pay for online PS plus. Xbox One has no used games, DRM, etc. PS5 now has etc.

OT: There is quite a few MS fanboys that are now not getting Xbox One because of its policies, so it is not just Sony fanboys. This issue is big and will probably be talked about the entire generation, probably more then pay for online Xbox live did.

Well your beef should be with Sony if they choose to adopt MS's practices. Regardless, going all digital is pretty much inevitable. MS is just doing it faster than I anticipated.

The most vocal people hate MS regardless.

Harder for people to fight when both of them do it. I do not believe we will go all digital, mostly digital is a possibility. But a lot of people still buy physical copies of CDs, DVDs, books, etc.

Farsala said:

Harder for people to fight when both of them do it. I do not believe we will go all digital, mostly digital is a possibility. But a lot of people still buy physical copies of CDs, DVDs, books, etc.

People still buy physical copies of CDs, DVDs, and books, but it appears the masses have already opted for digital versions of those forms of media.

A lot of people have begun embracing digital media in gaming as well. Most of on this forum buy PSN or XBLA games not available physically. If you subscribe to PS+ you're also supporting this digital gaming movement.

My concern is what freedoms will we have with our digital purchases. MS is apparently allowing sharing of digital games and that's a step in a good direction.

Recently Completed

superchunk said:
It is that bad. People ignoring it are what I'd term as sheep. You should never give up ownership rights in a black statement as MS is doing. If it naturally goes away with consumer choice in a move to digital distribution as seen with music (for the most part), then that is part of the evolution of that market. But to just throw it all out when the physical media is still king in that market is BS and should not be tolerated.

I'm glad the majority of users agree and we've seen a massive attack on MS for this. I sincerely hope they get stuck with a 20m selling console this gen or change their plans soon.

Want to avoid used game sales? Build better games.

I hate how so many put pirating games in the same set as used games... two completely different topics.

Additionally, used markets have NEVER harmed new markets. They complement them and actually assist in the flow of money creating a healthy ecosystem.

Want to avoid used game sales? Build better games. This should not be true. Not every game should be 100 hours with a giant multiplayer component. Games should be about quality, not quantity. If a game is single player only and has an amazing six-hour story, that game will not be made under current conditions because it will be traded in and the same copy will be sold time and time again. To not see how a $55 used game sold at GameStop in lieu of a $60 new game is hurting the industry is pretty small minded. In addition, The X1 does allow the sale of used games (with certain publisher exceptions, just like on the PS4). You will take your disc to Gamestop and trade it in for something else. The only difference is that the publisher now gets a cut of the $55.

starcraft said:
Pemalite said:
starcraft said:

When game companies do this at present they tend to send through a patch before hand making offline play possible

I'm not willing to make a gamble of hundreds of dollars worth of system/games on that. :P

If it all really went wrong in 'a decade or two' as you said, I think you'd get over it

Nah. I'll just avoid any possibility of getting screwed over and vote with my wallet by not buying the console to begin with, simple!

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--