By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Calm down, MS policies are not that bad.

mike_intellivision said:
Microsoft is trying to move from ownership of games to licensing of software.

That might work somewhat in the business world or in applications where there are constant upgrades.
But for gaming, it means that when the servers are shut down, you have NOTHING to show for your hundreds/thousands of dollars of investment.

And before you say that Microsoft would not let that happen, an exec said during its reveal that backward compatability was backwards.

That policy -- taking away ownership -- is not acceptable to me.

Mike from Morgantown

Microsoft is officially ending support for Win XP and Office 2003 come early 2014, an OS and application suite that have a far bigger userbase then their game console.  I think it would be naive to think that MS will keep their servers active for the XBONE forever.  

Around the Network

Don't bother defending the console. Let the games talk: Ryse, Quantum Break, Forza, Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, Halo 5, D4, Sunset Drive amongst many other future exclusive games that will most likely only be on XB1. Also the timed exclusive ones like Titanfall, and timed DLC of COD and BF.

It's just that simple.

I'm sorry but 360 and PS3 has done well in terms of games. This much change in XB1 is just hilarious and really not needed or should I say not wanted.

I didn't even see the need for Kinect to be mandatory since we do have a controller and also why should I always need to do a check for SP games?

Bottom line it's terrible.. BY THAT MUCH.

To those saying about Sony saying it's up to third party publishers, well then, at least I'm safe with their 1st party gems not being a DRM nazi. If a 3rd party publishers implements such crap like daily/"24/7" check for SP games then screw their games.

I can't use the Xbox One unless I live in 1 of the 21 selected countries. That alone makes their policies horrendous, I don't care how you want to spin this.

Nintendo and PC gamer

MonstaMack said:
Don't bother defending the console. Let the games talk: Ryse, Quantum Break, Forza, Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, Halo 5, D4, Sunset Drive amongst many other future exclusive games that will most likely only be on XB1. Also the timed exclusive ones like Titanfall, and timed DLC of COD and BF.

I agree, but keep in mind that most of Sony's 1st party studios haven't revealed what they're working on yet on the PS4.  I think at the end of they day both consoles will have a number of great exclusives.  The timed exclusives on the COD and BF DLCs are big for MS.  However, Sony also announced that there'll be over 40 3rd party games with exclusive content on the PS4, such as Destiny, Watchdog, AC 4, Arkham Origins, etc.

Around the Network
DragonRouge said:
Some MS supporters are forgetting that with the exception of Kinect features and content deals, everything that you'll be able to do on xbone will be possible with PS4, multimedia features, social connectivity etc.

You can even go all digital on PS4 and seamlessly change between games with no need to swap discs, or you can go oldschool and buy retail discs as you please. Bad or not policies is not the issue for me, I prefer a system that gives me options instead of one that puts up restrictions

In the simplest way this is true.  Yet in how they are implemented from what we have seen the Xbox One is a generation ahead of the PS4 with the multimedia features. Looks highly likely that Netflix, Hulu, DVD/Blu Ray , etc. will be more like a slightly improved PS3 then anywhere near the Xbox One.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

jacks81x said:
MonstaMack said:

I agree, but keep in mind that most of Sony's 1st party studios haven't revealed what they're working on yet on the PS4.  I think at the end of they day both consoles will have a number of great exclusives.  The timed exclusives on the COD and BF DLCs are big for MS.  However, Sony also announced that there'll be over 40 3rd party games with exclusive content on the PS4, such as Destiny, Watchdog, AC 4, Arkham Origins, etc.

It's why most people end up buying all 3 consoles anyways:games.  Actually last gen was the only gen I didn't end up buying all three consoles.

I'm also talking about at launch: I believe MS has a stronger launch/first year lineup. Who knows down the road? Only Michael Pachter with his crystal ball.

Also while PS4 does have exclusive in game content, I wasn't exactly wowed by it. THe Arkham Origins DLC is a Adam West/oldbatman outfit. The Diablo 3 is Nathan Drake item and some other item from loot drops. Nothing fancy so far.

It's just that simple.

It is that bad. People ignoring it are what I'd term as sheep. You should never give up ownership rights in a black statement as MS is doing. If it naturally goes away with consumer choice in a move to digital distribution as seen with music (for the most part), then that is part of the evolution of that market. But to just throw it all out when the physical media is still king in that market is BS and should not be tolerated.

I'm glad the majority of users agree and we've seen a massive attack on MS for this. I sincerely hope they get stuck with a 20m selling console this gen or change their plans soon.

Want to avoid used game sales? Build better games.

I hate how so many put pirating games in the same set as used games... two completely different topics.

Additionally, used markets have NEVER harmed new markets. They complement them and actually assist in the flow of money creating a healthy ecosystem.

Yes they are. If you want reasons, try this: In practice, you don't own your games anymore when there's DRM. And there's tons of other reasons too but if I have to give a single one, this'll do just fine.

Euphoria14 said:
JinxRake said:
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/ubisoft-ceo-says-used-games-good-for-industry-6409608/
^ Interesting back pedaling here.

I would like to see hard facts in what you're saying.

I wonder what you'll concede to have taken away from your own rights once this proves not to be the problem and that the business model is still broken. But hey, go ahead, who cares about principles and rights anymore, no?

With companies like EA and Ubisoft appearing to be backpedaling, it is further proof that we SHOULDN'T stop bitching and complaining, but rather keep it going.

You could be right on this. I do agree on this. I am playing devils advocate. I'm still going to by one but wanted to show the other side.