By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kingdom Hearts 3 on Wii U?

hinch said:
superchunk said:
Xen said:

KH3 makes extensive use of DirectX11, for which the Wii U is incompatible. So, without radical changes, you won't ever see it there.

DX11 is only MS so that means it won't be on PS4 right? Also, WiiU is perfectly capable of DX11-like features.

EDIT: Wii U primarily uses the Unity engine.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/DirectX11.html

I think he means is that the game makes full use of the DX11 feature set.. which the Wii U obviously lacks. Unity is not a substitute for a full grown API.

From arstechnica.

"Sony is building its CPU on what it's calling an extended DirectX 11.1+ feature set, including extra debugging support that is not available on PC platforms. This system will also give developers more direct access to the shader pipeline than they had on the PS3 or through DirectX itself. "This is access you're not used to getting on the PC, and as a result you can do a lot more cool things and have a lot more access to the power of the system," Norden said. A low-level API will also let coders talk directly with the hardware in a way that's "much lower-level than DirectX and OpenGL," but still not quite at the driver level."

And to be fair, OP. It's not happening. SE already has issues with development of their own games. They're not going to great lengths to make a separate Wii U version of a game built around PS4/XB1 hardware. They're better off making a whole new game built from the ground up for the Wii U.

Yeah cause this turned out real well.

no thanks, I almost wonder if they know how to make a good game on home consoles anymore period.

Around the Network
Talal said:
ChrolloLucilfer said:
I think KH3 would suit Wii U demography more so than the Xbox one.

When are we going to have our fight? ;)

Not yet, still under the Nen curse. I let you know. ;)

Xen said:
BossPuma said:
Xen said:
KH3 makes extensive use of directx 11, for which the Wii U is too weak/incompatible. So, without radical changes, you won't ever see it there.

How do you know?

http://kotaku.com/find-out-about-the-future-of-square-right-now-updating-512607517

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/11/kingdom-hearts-3-being-developed-by-square-enixs-osaka-studio/

The link says Kingdom hearts 3 uses direct X 11 but where did you take the idea Wii u isn't DX11 compatible?

Zero999 said:
Xen said:
BossPuma said:
Xen said:
KH3 makes extensive use of directx 11, for which the Wii U is too weak/incompatible. So, without radical changes, you won't ever see it there.

How do you know?

http://kotaku.com/find-out-about-the-future-of-square-right-now-updating-512607517

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/11/kingdom-hearts-3-being-developed-by-square-enixs-osaka-studio/

The link says Kingdom hearts 3 uses direct X 11 but where did you take the idea Wii u isn't DX11 compatible?

I remember reading about it a while ago, but as of being a bit disconnected from news last year, I missed all the "unity" stuff and so on.

hinch said:

I think he means is that the game makes full use of the DX11 feature set.. which the Wii U obviously lacks. Unity is not a substitute for a full grown API.

If that were true then PS4 couldn't run the game either.

Neither of you (Xen and yourself) make any sense and/or don't know what DX is.

DX is a Microsoft API.

Sony and Nintendo both do NOT use it explicitly. However, in both cases their GPUs have the technology in shaders and other items to handle the technology covered in a DX11 API.

So in this regard both have systems (APIs) defined that give them similar functionality to what is provided in Microsoft's DX11. WiiU in particularly does this through Unity engine.

So if KH3 is not coming to WiiU, it has nothing to do with DX11 or any engine/api standard.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
hinch said:

DX is a Microsoft API.

Sony and Nintendo both do NOT use it explicitly. However, in both cases their GPUs have the technology in shaders and other items to handle the technology covered in a DX11 API.

So in this regard both have systems (APIs) defined that give them similar functionality to what is provided in Microsoft's DX11. WiiU in particularly does this through Unity engine.

So if KH3 is not coming to WiiU, it has nothing to do with DX11 or any engine/api standard.

Then Barozi's link is irrelevant, also?

superchunk said:
hinch said:

DX is a Microsoft API.

Read my original post. I never said that.

Seeing how enthusiastic they are about localizing DQX, I don't think they'd go trough a port like that. What we saw at E3 definitely can't run on WiiU and we don't even know if the luminous engine is scalable.

Xen said:

Then Barozi's link is irrelevant, also?

Its not a quote from SE is it? Its one person's assumption. Plus EA said their engine can't run on WiiU, but that's obviously bullshit too as it runs on PS360.

Fact is, if it were due to the device/engine not literally using DX11, then PS4 wouldn't have the game either as DX11 is a Microsoft API and not something Nintendo or Sony utilize directly.

However, in both cases their SDKs have APIs that utilize the same technological features. Of course in WiiUs case with less overall raw power backing it up.

So the only argument is that SE hasn't spent time to get their newest engine on WiiU hardware in the same fashion as Epic didn't put UE4 with WiiU default features but then said that yes, of course, it could run on WiiU (or even less powerful systems) its just not there out of the box.

spurgeonryan said:
Xen said:

KH3 makes extensive use of DirectX11, for which the Wii U is incompatible. So, without radical changes, you won't ever see it there.

So basically it would cost too much money to change it up, or too much time?

KH was on the 3DS and sold GREAT! Maybe Square will give it a chance.

I'm a bit confused about it now, so I can't really say. Superchunk knows better.