By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kingdom Hearts 3 on Wii U?

I still expect to see KH3 on Wii U in some form. Maybe at TGS, or next year. The game is years away, a lot can happen in that time.

If not, it feels like a missed opportunity to me.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Xen said:

KH3 makes extensive use of DirectX11, for which the Wii U is incompatible. So, without radical changes, you won't ever see it there.

DX11 is only MS so that means it won't be on PS4 right? Also, WiiU is perfectly capable of DX11-like features.

EDIT: Wii U primarily uses the Unity engine.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/DirectX11.html

If the numbers here are accurate (sometimes I like to pretend they are), the overwhelmingly biggest market for Kingdom Hearts is North America.

I understand the incompatibility claims with Xbox One, especially compared to Wii-U (I'm thinking in terms of target demographics because of what we've seen so far), but from a business point of view: on the assumption that Xbone will carry some of its momentum forward from 360 (looking like a dangerous assumption, but you never know) then it makes sense to put it where it'll perform best.

If anything, a case could be argued for why it should be on all 3 of the 8th gen home consoles.

I'm just glad that it's coming. Early hype that I'm probably going to be disappointed by, but still.

ChrolloLucilfer said:
I think KH3 would suit Wii U demography more so than the Xbox one.

When are we going to have our fight? ;)

Final Fantasy 13 is a PS3 exclusive.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Xen said:

KH3 makes extensive use of DirectX11, for which the Wii U is incompatible. So, without radical changes, you won't ever see it there.

DX11 is only MS so that means it won't be on PS4 right? Also, WiiU is perfectly capable of DX11-like features.

I'm absolutely confused about that.

The GPU and CPU in the PS4 are not unlike your normal PC. So, capable of DX11 just as well. However, indeed, it is a Microsoft technology. Perhaps there's some kinda licensing agreement, or perhaps some way SE develops using the DX11 SDK, getting it to work on other stuff with OGL. As they said, it allows for flexible porting.

However, the tweets barozi posted add a twist to this mix... and they're the stuff I'm inclined to believe.

If things turn around for the Wii U, it probably could get a Kingdom Hearts game but I don't think it will be KH3, due to the fact that it is being built around the hardware of the Xbox One and PS4.

I'd be surprised if Square Enix, didn't make another Kingdom Hearts game for either the 3DS or Vita though, the fact is that in Japan, the portable systems are Kings and while they have started to see better sales for the PS3 as prices have come down, it is unlikely that the slow adoption and software sales with home consoles in Japan is going to change for the PS4 anymore then it did for any of the home console systems since the PS2 era.

dahuman said:

I'm sorry but i'm not sure what are you talking about ?

FF 14 is Sony's Exclusive, FF13 "13-2 , Lightning Returns" and 15 are multiplat Sony and Microsoft.

SnowPrince said:
dahuman said:

I'm sorry but i'm not sure what are you talking about ?

FF 14 is Sony's Exclusive, FF13 "13-2 , Lightning Returns" and 15 are multiplat Sony and Microsoft.

seriously? :P

superchunk said:
Xen said:

I think he means is that the game makes full use of the DX11 feature set.. which the Wii U obviously lacks. Unity is not a substitute for a full grown API.

From arstechnica.

"Sony is building its CPU on what it's calling an extended DirectX 11.1+ feature set, including extra debugging support that is not available on PC platforms. This system will also give developers more direct access to the shader pipeline than they had on the PS3 or through DirectX itself. "This is access you're not used to getting on the PC, and as a result you can do a lot more cool things and have a lot more access to the power of the system," Norden said. A low-level API will also let coders talk directly with the hardware in a way that's "much lower-level than DirectX and OpenGL," but still not quite at the driver level."

And to be fair, OP. It's not happening. SE already has issues with development for their own games. They're not going to great lengths to make a separate Wii U version of a game built around PS4/XB1 hardware. They're better off making a whole new game built from the ground up for the Wii U.