By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the 1st party games Nintendo show strike you as system sellers?

Nem said:
Sonic is a multi million seller.

That is a highly questionable assertion. The last Sonic released exclusively on Nintendo platforms was Sonic Colors. Which sold 1.47 million units at the height of the Wii's popularity.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

Mythmaker1 said:

Nem said:
Sonic is a multi million seller.

That is a highly questionable assertion. The last Sonic released exclusively on Nintendo platforms was Sonic Colors. Which sold 1.47 million units at the height of the Wii's popularity.

Sonic Generations was released at the end of 2010. I believe Wii was actually loosing momentum during that time( or it could be 2011).Do not underestimate. There are millons of Sonics fans that will purchase a Wii U just the game.

Xxain said:

Sonic Generations was released at the end of 2010. I believe Wii was actually loosing momentum during that time( or it could be 2011).Do not underestimate. There are millons of Sonics fans that will purchase a Wii U just the game.

Sonic Generations was released in 2011. And it wasn't released on the Wii.

Sonic Colors was released on the Wii in 2010. And it sold 1.47 million. And while the Wii was slowing down, it was still selling respectably.

If less than 1.5 million bought the game when the system was in its prime, 2+ million aren't going to buy the game for a more expensive, half-dead console.

Mythmaker1 said:
Xxain said:

Sonic Colors was released on the Wii in 2010. And it sold 1.47 million. And while the Wii was slowing down, it was still selling respectably.

If less than 1.5 million bought the game when the system was in its prime, 2+ million aren't going to buy the game for a more expensive, half-dead console.

You know what I meant. up to 2009 was Wii at its most popular. I dont wanna argue that though. Sonic will push consoles. The end

Mario Kart, X, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros? I think they will sell systems pretty well.

Around the Network

Well, next year's games definitely did. There's no question that the one-two punch of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. can work wonders for hardware sales. Xenogame and Bayonetta 2 will be icing.

This year's games -- some of them, maybe. These games won't market themselves. Nintendo has to actually try. Donkey Kong and Mario can definitely do the trick. I'm sure Nintendo can get some of their Wii Fit crowd back on board with a good advertising campaign, and Wind Waker HD may entice some gamers. None of the other games coming this year are system sellers individually, but coming one after the other, they can build some momentum for the above games. Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost Worlds, Wii Play is a decent first-party lineup for the July-Oct period. Then they just have to let their blockbusters get to work... and pick a god and pray.

Xxain said:
Mythmaker1 said:
Xxain said:

You know what I meant. up to 2009 was Wii at its most popular. I dont wanna argue that though. Sonic will push consoles. The end

Never said it wouldn't push consoles. I just pointed out that calling it a "multi-million seller" is wildly unrealistic.

Mario Kart and Smash Bros, absolutely. Wii Fit U will likely draw in some former "Casual" Wii owners. Many Sonic fans might just get it for Sonic Lost World, AND the rumored Sonic/Mario racer which would/could be amazing.

I dont see SOnic pushing that much consoles, those days are long over. And multimillion seller? No, just wrong. Not unless we count releases across multiple platforms and even then.

Mythmaker1 said:
Xxain said:
Mythmaker1 said:
Xxain said:

Never said it wouldn't push consoles. I just pointed out that calling it a "multi-million seller" is wildly unrealistic.

Thats not true though. Sonic Unleashed sold about 5million copies across all platforms. You must realize there are Sonic fans on Nintendo, Sonic fans on Sony, Sonic fans on xbox. When SEGA targets all of them They get incredible results like Heroes and Unleashed which sold over 5mill. There are enough Sonic fans to make a difference