By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the 1st party games Nintendo show strike you as system sellers?

Nintendo's 1st party games are incrediby low-budget sucky titles.  Large-scale software production - they never mastered that.

User was banned for this post - Kantor

Around the Network

Well mario 3D land helped 3DS's sales, but that game released alongside Mario Kart 7. I don't know, maybe I'm biased but I don't think those game will be system sellers (that is, DKC,X,Bayo 2 and Mario 3D worlds)
Mario Kart 8 and SSB are the real systems sellers, at least to me.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

DevilRising said:
oniyide said:
I dont see SOnic pushing that much consoles, those days are long over. And multimillion seller? No, just wrong. Not unless we count releases across multiple platforms and even then.

Ever since Sega sadly went 3rd party, Sonic games have ALWAYS sold best on Nintendo platforms. Period.

And this Sonic happens to be exclusive, and happens to look a HELL of a lot more interesting than most of the sad attempts Sega has made over the last decade. This game actually looks fun. And like it might NOT play like shit. Generations was okay. This looks better than that. So while it won't be THE system seller, it'll help. Believe it or not, there are still old Sega gamers out there, and not all of them have simply become Xbox or PS owners. Which is why Nintendo would be smart to make a much bigger exclusivity deal with Sega, get some other games like Shinobi, Golden Axe, Vectorman, Nights, whatever, going on NIntendo platforms as exclusives.

Sonic Heroes, Sonic 4 episode 1 and Sonic Mega Collection say hi.

A System Seller System seller?

Mario Kart 8. Dat thing looked phenomenal. I assume the 3D World and the rest will be there for the ride.

As for niche sellers....X and Bayo 2.

But guise remember.....Pokemon in October 12th. A lot of Ninty fans are going to having to buy 3DSs. Hopefully they don't pull a Vita on us and quietly cut support for WiiU. I mean I paid good $$ for this thing.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

DanneSandin said:
While many of these games are million sellers, I doubt they're SYSTEM sellers. They'll definitely push out quite a few consoles, but not that many...

Please explain the disparity between "sell quite a few consoles", which implies a lot, and "but not that many".

3D Mario is always a system seller. Mario in general has always been a system seller. The only reason that NSMBU, honestly, didn't push the hardware more by itself, is because the 3DS game had JUST come out a few months beforehand. If they had held off and not released NSMB 2 until 2013, NSMB U would have seemed more special, instead of "just another NSMB game".

Mario Kart is a MAJOR system seller, if MKDS, MKWii and MK7 have been any indication.

Smash, for some folks, is THE system seller. I know many people who were/are waiting to get a Wii U specifically when Smash comes out. There's a reason each iteration has sold more and more copies.

Sonic may not be a SYSTEM seller, but it's an exclusive Sonic game that actually looks GOOD, and there are many old Sega fans still around who would really want that game. Which is why, again, Nintendo should make a deal with Sega to have further Wii U exclusives, such as a new (GOOD) 3D Shinobi, a new Panzer Dragoon, Golden Axe, Nights, Out Run, whatever. Sega gamers still crave those games, and if they were only available on Nintendo consoles, they could buy the console to play them.

DKC might not scream system seller to some, but it's a very nice one-two holiday punch along with Mario. DKCR sold around 6 million copies. And this game looks superior to that.

Wii Party and Wii Fit will no doubt help bring in more than a few of those "casual" Wii owners who haven't seen a reason to upgrade yet.

Simply knowing that Smash, Mario Kart, and Zelda (hopefully) are coming next year, is big enough to make some people finally decide to get the console, if not now, in early 2014. But if Nintendo drops the price by $50 bucks and has some good deals and good advertising during the holidays, I could see Wii U recovering a lot of lost ground.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:

Ever since Sega sadly went 3rd party, Sonic games have ALWAYS sold best on Nintendo platforms. Period.

And this Sonic happens to be exclusive, and happens to look a HELL of a lot more interesting than most of the sad attempts Sega has made over the last decade. This game actually looks fun. And like it might NOT play like shit. Generations was okay. This looks better than that. So while it won't be THE system seller, it'll help. Believe it or not, there are still old Sega gamers out there, and not all of them have simply become Xbox or PS owners. Which is why Nintendo would be smart to make a much bigger exclusivity deal with Sega, get some other games like Shinobi, Golden Axe, Vectorman, Nights, whatever, going on NIntendo platforms as exclusives.

Sonic Heroes, Sonic 4 episode 1 and Sonic Mega Collection say hi.

What is that supposed to even mean? Sonic Heroes was "OKAY", but not certainly not great by any means. "Sonic 4" was a sick joke, they couldn't even get simple 2D Sonic right after all these years, and trying to pass a crappy episodic game off as THE Sonic the Hedgehog 4? That was even worse. Sonic Mega Collection? What does a collection of old Genesis titles have to do with ANYTHING related to Sega post-first party?

My point stands. Sonic Lost World looks better than just about anything they've attempted in years. Sonic Generations was decent, but the 3D levels were still garbage. THIS time around, Sonic in 3D looks like it might actually work. As in functionally work.

Meh I am glad I got a Wii U and am enjoying the games. Anything not coming to Wii U I can probably play on PC or wait for the emulator to come out since both new consoles are x86 based.
I am more worried about Sony at this point than Nintendo especially with their PS4 looking like the Wii.It's a desperate attempt at getting sales from uninformed consumers. It doesn't say much about their faith in the console when like a Chinese knock off company, they copy a rivals design rather than their own design to let the console stand apart.

Mark my words, this is Sony's last gen as a console maker. The die hards might accept a Wii clone but the mainstream will see it as a cheap grab and a desperate attempt by a sinking ship

Uhhhh... I can only speak for myself, but I bought a Wii U specifically to play games like these. If Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, and Wii Fit are not system sellers, I'm not sure what games are.

Individually no I dont see any of the games this year pushing a ton of hardware but when u consider that form Aug to the end of the year theres about 10 quality exclusives and 10 quality multiplats that arent late, plus a price cut and marketing push when they start to release, Wii U will definetily have a very solid holiday season.

After that it has Mario Kart/Smash Bros combo in the first half of the year that are big system sellers and games like Yarn Yoshi, Bayo 2, X will be good support titles. Who knows what they have planned after that but theres still F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda, Wii Sports, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Mario Universe that are all likely to release in the next few years.

Overall I see Wii U in a very good position and could be the best selling home console for the next 2-3 years as long as they release 1-2 solid games a month.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It's no first party but I'll keep saying that if Bayo 2 was marketed it would sell systems, dat incredibly fast paced gameplay at 60fps... i'm no fan of hack n slashers and it blew me away.