By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the 1st party games Nintendo show strike you as system sellers?

MK8 could very well be a monster seller for Wii U. Almost seems like Nintendo is going for a one two punch. One this year with Mario, DK, Wii Fit. Two next year with MK8, etc.

Might be on purpose. Hard to compete with the hype of new consoles in the first month or two. Xbox and PS4 are going to get theirs during the launch window, but then what. That is where Nintendo might be able to strike back and get some momentum in 2014 (MK8 bundle perhaps by christmas)

Around the Network

I think Nintendo is hoping Pikmin 3, New Super Luigi U, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, and Wii Party U can slowly but steadily build up some momentum and then with Donkey Kong, Mario 3D World, and Wii Fit U they can peak just in time for holiday sales WITHOUT having to try a price drop. I expect some possible bundles this holiday with some of these games.

If that DOESN'T work and they don't achieve the sales they want, then I think they see Mario Kart 8 as their "ace-in-the-hole" along with Smash Bros. and a few other key 2014 titles. If the holidays go poorly, I would expect a $50 price drop in the Spring along with the release of Mario Kart 8, Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Olympics, and Bayonetta 2, followed by X, Yarn Yoshi, and Smash Bros. later in the year. Zelda for Wii U will be shown off by E3 2014, possibly even sooner in a Nintendo Direct, but I would bet that game winds up being the big Holiday 2015 title.

So I guess my point is that, unlike with 3DS where they released BOTH "trump cards" (Mario, Mario Kart) nearly simultaneously, which worked wonders temporarily but then ultimately led to another smaller "slump" in the West, this time they're giving themselves 2 separate windows to get it right and to hold off as long as possible before cutting the price so they can avoid major losses like the 3DS incurred for about a full year after the price cut.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

7 of 9 games I pre-ordered are first party.
They didn't have X, and maybe few others listed. Could have been more.

MK8 and Smash are the only surefire system pushers. Both are wildly popular and have big dedicated fanbases.

Those are the only two. Everything else is questionable as far as helping to push systems, which doesn't bode well for the WiiU's upcoming holiday.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Mario kart and super smash should sell a shitload of consoles

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
DanneSandin said:
While many of these games are million sellers, I doubt they're SYSTEM sellers. They'll definitely push out quite a few consoles, but not that many...

Please explain the disparity between "sell quite a few consoles", which implies a lot, and "but not that many".

3D Mario is always a system seller. Mario in general has always been a system seller. The only reason that NSMBU, honestly, didn't push the hardware more by itself, is because the 3DS game had JUST come out a few months beforehand. If they had held off and not released NSMB 2 until 2013, NSMB U would have seemed more special, instead of "just another NSMB game".

Mario Kart is a MAJOR system seller, if MKDS, MKWii and MK7 have been any indication.

Smash, for some folks, is THE system seller. I know many people who were/are waiting to get a Wii U specifically when Smash comes out. There's a reason each iteration has sold more and more copies.

Sonic may not be a SYSTEM seller, but it's an exclusive Sonic game that actually looks GOOD, and there are many old Sega fans still around who would really want that game. Which is why, again, Nintendo should make a deal with Sega to have further Wii U exclusives, such as a new (GOOD) 3D Shinobi, a new Panzer Dragoon, Golden Axe, Nights, Out Run, whatever. Sega gamers still crave those games, and if they were only available on Nintendo consoles, they could buy the console to play them.

DKC might not scream system seller to some, but it's a very nice one-two holiday punch along with Mario. DKCR sold around 6 million copies. And this game looks superior to that.

Wii Party and Wii Fit will no doubt help bring in more than a few of those "casual" Wii owners who haven't seen a reason to upgrade yet.

Simply knowing that Smash, Mario Kart, and Zelda (hopefully) are coming next year, is big enough to make some people finally decide to get the console, if not now, in early 2014. But if Nintendo drops the price by $50 bucks and has some good deals and good advertising during the holidays, I could see Wii U recovering a lot of lost ground.

I think these games will push out systems in the same manner that MH3U and Lego City did, but on a slightly larger scale. They'll boost sales for a while, before it slows down again (although the weekly sales might look better after these games). And MK8 and SSB4 won't come out this year, which the OP was talking about. MK8 and SSB are definitely system sellers! And a TRADITIONAL 3D Mario is as well. 3DWorld is more akin to 3dLand than Galaxy - which is why I doubt it's ability to be a million system seller.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

To Nintendo fans sure they are, but my biggest problem is there wasn't enough 3rd party support (via nintendo sponsored partnerships) or new ips shown to get other gamers excited.

It's quite obvious that Nintendo is trying to replicate the success of the 3DS with Wii U. A price drop, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 saved the 3DS from near death. Became their fastest selling console of all time. Now with Wii U, Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 (price drop expected VERY soon. Maybe $279.99-$299.99). And they even have Smash Bros. coming next year as well. As if 2014 isn't the year of Nintendo already,  I just can't wait what they have in store for us next E3. 

@DanneSandin

All I can really say to that, is that some of these same franchises on Wii were some of the highest selling games of the generation. DKCR sold almost 6 million. Brawl sold almost 12 million. Mario Kart sold like 30 million. Mario always sells. I think Wii U will have a better end of the year than most people suspect. And even then, there's Smash and Mario Kart and hopefully Zelda next year to further drive sales.

DevilRising said:
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:

Ever since Sega sadly went 3rd party, Sonic games have ALWAYS sold best on Nintendo platforms. Period.

And this Sonic happens to be exclusive, and happens to look a HELL of a lot more interesting than most of the sad attempts Sega has made over the last decade. This game actually looks fun. And like it might NOT play like shit. Generations was okay. This looks better than that. So while it won't be THE system seller, it'll help. Believe it or not, there are still old Sega gamers out there, and not all of them have simply become Xbox or PS owners. Which is why Nintendo would be smart to make a much bigger exclusivity deal with Sega, get some other games like Shinobi, Golden Axe, Vectorman, Nights, whatever, going on NIntendo platforms as exclusives.

Sonic Heroes, Sonic 4 episode 1 and Sonic Mega Collection say hi.

What is that supposed to even mean? Sonic Heroes was "OKAY", but not certainly not great by any means. "Sonic 4" was a sick joke, they couldn't even get simple 2D Sonic right after all these years, and trying to pass a crappy episodic game off as THE Sonic the Hedgehog 4? That was even worse. Sonic Mega Collection? What does a collection of old Genesis titles have to do with ANYTHING related to Sega post-first party?

My point stands. Sonic Lost World looks better than just about anything they've attempted in years. Sonic Generations was decent, but the 3D levels were still garbage. THIS time around, Sonic in 3D looks like it might actually work. As in functionally work.

Sales wise they havent always done better which is why i brought those games up. But if that is not what you are talking about, then none of your points stand, because those are YOUR opinions. YOu havent even played the new SOnic yet but you are ready to say its the best ever. Sounds a little bias to me, wonder if you would say that if it was multiplat.