By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 is $399

mii-gamer said:
wow this is an amazing win for the consumer. Are sony taking a huge loss with this?

I doubt it.

Some, particularly Xbox fans, are going to look at the MSRP for the XB1 and say SCE will be taking a big hit per unit over production cost and that they CAN'T afford to do this, but... I would not be surprised if the iSuppli BoM for the PS4 comes out to be right around $300 per unit. 

At any rate, they're not going to be losing $200 per unit like they did with the PS3. 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
adriane23 said:
CGI-Quality said:
HDD size: 500GB.

Is that your guess or did some new info just come out?

http://www.exophase.com/60254/ps4-includes-500gb-hard-drive-dualshock-4-is-60/

DualShock 4 is $60 too.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Curious how much of a loss they are getting with each console, if at all. Regardless, kill off all the bad habits of the Xbox one with that price, and I am a happy camper. :)

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

£350 is a better price. It will still struggle, certainly. But it's better.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Perfect pricing, I might say. We were watching the conference as a group chat, the enthusiasm was strong as soon as we heard the price :)

Around the Network

the only down side to sony with this price is they probably didnt leave them selves much wiggle room. plus how are they going to keep up with the demand. and how come they didnt annouce a ps3 price drop along side this thing it would have sold alot more ps3 since now it looks like theres not much diff between the ps3 and the ps4 to the avg shopper

Azerth said:
the only down side to sony with this price is they probably didnt leave them selves much wiggle room. plus how are they going to keep up with the demand. and how come they didnt annouce a ps3 price drop along side this thing it would have sold alot more ps3 since now it looks like theres not much diff between the ps3 and the ps4 to the avg shopper

So they can recover as much revenue as possible on the PS3 platform.

But it is a good point when you consider that the PS3 averages about $299 (too many bundles still floating around for me to track). $100 more for the latest console is nothing unless you really have to scrimp to game, in which case you're probably not buying $60 games new and with new platforms, you don't get access to a huge library of old, cheap, used or heavily discounted titles.

That's really the reason for buying the PS3. Not to save a $100 off the price of the box itself. 

Plus, until the Gaikai service gives PS4 users access to PS3 titles, you can't play them on the new console. 

Still, I expect to see the PS3 down to $199 in base SKU form in time for the PS4 debut. 

I don't know who else caught this, but apparently, it's also open region. So take note all you game importers.

greenmedic88 said:
I don't know who else caught this, but apparently, it's also open region. So take note all you game importers.

Yessir.

That makes it very convenient. At least to anybody in Europe/PAL region =P

greenmedic88 said:

Nicely done Sony!