By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 is $399

$399 is a great price. Sony has not put 1 step wrong so far.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Around the Network

Nicely done, Sony. That's a big advantage over Xbox.

Xbox...I am disappoint. Considering the success you had early on with the 360, I would have expected you'd understand the importance of coming in at a cheaper price point.

sth88 said:
Nicely done, Sony. That's a big advantage over Xbox.

Xbox...I am disappoint. Considering the success you had early on with the 360, I would have expected you'd understand the importance of coming in at a cheaper price point.

Microsoft got arrogant and will pay the price after they see the sales of the Xbox One. Hopefully we will see MS become agressive after that and lower the price of the Xbox 1, and launch more exclusives etc. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

platformmaster918 said:
Tigerlure said:
greenmedic88 said:
I'd be surprised if the $399 price included less than 500GB of HDD space.

That said, if they took the same approach as they did with the PS3 for internal storage upgrades, it wouldn't be much of an issue either way. I'll be pretty annoyed if they do the Xbox 360 approach of proprietary HDD cartridges.

If they include a 500GB HDD it'd be even better. Hard drives aren't as expensive as they used to be, so they should be able to put it in.

the difference between a 500gb and a 1tb was only $20 or so last I checked so yeah very possible.

Believe it or not, $20 is a fair amount of extra cost when you're looking at a piece of hardware that costs maybe $300 to produce. There are a lot of details yet to be released, so people are going to feel free to speculate on anything that wasn't explicitly stated. 

wow this is an amazing win for the consumer. Are sony taking a huge loss with this?

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
platformmaster918 said:
Tigerlure said:
greenmedic88 said:
I'd be surprised if the $399 price included less than 500GB of HDD space.

That said, if they took the same approach as they did with the PS3 for internal storage upgrades, it wouldn't be much of an issue either way. I'll be pretty annoyed if they do the Xbox 360 approach of proprietary HDD cartridges.

If they include a 500GB HDD it'd be even better. Hard drives aren't as expensive as they used to be, so they should be able to put it in.

the difference between a 500gb and a 1tb was only $20 or so last I checked so yeah very possible.

Believe it or not, $20 is a fair amount of extra cost when you're looking at a piece of hardware that costs maybe $300 to produce. There are a lot of details yet to be released, so people are going to feel free to speculate on anything that wasn't explicitly stated. 

I think they confirmed 500gb now but anyway yes I know $20 is a lot when calculating the cost of a console, but doesn't everyone like to point out that Sony gets things cheaper than you or I?  They could upgrade to 1tb for $10 or something (I'm not expert so don't bring exact numbers if that's jibberish).  Anyway I don't think they need to go above 500gb since they can keep pace with MS now that they know they're less expensive.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Soriku said:
Soleron said:
You'd all be complaining if Sony went first and said "$400". But after MS you think it's cheap.

What? No. For months now people have been saying that $399 is a good price, and after the 8 GB RAM thing some people were worried it'd be higher. It's very reasonable and nothing like $499-599.

Yeah, if someone did poll threads, I'm sure the largest number of responses for the PS4 and XB1 alike would have been $399. 

The minority consisting of wishful thinkers and stealth trolls were naturally going to say a lowball price well under BoM cost would be acceptable, but the key word there would be minority. 

There's no point in anyone trying to create revisionist history now anyway. 

399 is an awesome price,the 360 with the 20 gig HD was 399 new Sony nailed it they won

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

CGI-Quality said:
HDD size: 500GB.

Is that your guess or did some new info just come out?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

$550AUD according to EB Games. Rather pleased, would have been happier with $499AUD but you never know with JB and Big W, they tend to have special deals.