By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What is the XBox One's advantages?

I thought it was all about the games? If that's the case, NEITHER really has the advantage as of today . This thread isn't really all that useful until after E3, where MS and Sony can show their games closer to launch and we'll read some (hopefully impartial) hands on from those at the show.

Around the Network

From what I have saw and remember right now:

- Cloud backup of the games so I can play it in any other XBox One.

- Windows 8 apps

- TV content. Everyone is saying that is about games and so on, but is nice to have some TV content there too and, for me, it counts as a advantage.

- Some games (Halo, Gears, Forza, Rare games, etc)

The list may change of course, losing some items if Sony announces something or gaining some if MS announces. E3 will define what one can do and other can't (or simply what one of them does better than the other).

The thing that I won't count is the cloud processing to improve graphics. Actually, a slower type of VRAM or slower communication between components is enough to take a good damage in real time computer graphics. And a Internet connection is way, way slower than any hardware can be, so it still can't make me believe in using cloud computing to assist real time graphics. If you want simpler pre computing of graphical elements, it's better and faster to compute it locally than using cloud.

Soleron said:

You're missing the point. MS is not interested in beating Sony. 

Actually, they are. Their objective is that everyone has their products on their PCs, phones, tablets and TVs (X1). If Sony or Nintendo wins, they won't have a Windows product on the living room. So it's about beating the other two to rule the living room.

I really don't think it has any. The only advantages it will have are exclusive titles.

Imaginedvl said:
richardhutnik said:

This whole talk about how "the cloud" is going to make up for any local computing issues, is like the time how people talked about how textures and whatnot could be streamed off the disks on the Playstation.  Unless a game is specifically designed for cloud gaming, and is server based, and is for massive environments, very little is there.  There latency is absurd involved. But one can keep telling themselves otherwise.  Unless shown otherwise, it is "blast processing".

And I will take your reply as being "none", because you really can't say.  You are just hurting that Microsoft has shown NOTHING that would offer it an advantage over the PS4 in ANY capcity.  You can't name it, so you won't.  

In the case of what I wrote, the PS4 is planning on streaming content and doing processing off the system itself, if needed.  As far as cloud computing goes anyhow, it is nothing but shorthand for virtualization, meaning you have an easier time managing servers.  Unless streaming and turning a client into a dumb terminal, you do get some client-server action going.   

You can't show any way that this would work to prove superiority and show that always on Internet with the One is for nothing but cloud storage and DRM.  You can't.  You will name vapors.  But go ahead and show otherwise.  If you can't even post a link to a SINGLE article to show how it works better, then you are blowing smoke in desperation out of fear Microsoft isn't going to come out on top.

I did not even talk about Microsoft's claims in any way. And I'm not even talking about what is doable with the cloud processing or not... It is just a matter of comparing apples and oranges and then starting thread hoping for people to bash again on the Xbox One. If you want to talk about the advantage of steaming on the PS4, fine... Of the advantage of the cloud processing and the 3 VCPUs available to each Xbox One for developpers, fine (even if you do not see any advantage here). But just stop comparing then like the streaming capabilities of Gaikai would be the same thing.

My point is that these are just 2 distinct features (or advantages if you want to call them that way).

I actually consider, with proper bandwidth, the streaming capabilities of Gaikai to be superior to anything client-server split cloud based computing, because it can scale, while the cloud stuff really can't.  You CAN get stuff like larger worlds with processing there, but pure processing powerwise?

And that is about my thread here.  I am asking exactly WHAT advantages the One has over the PS4, and even PC, to the extend that the DRM and always on demands of the One would be able to be tolerated.

Hardware-wise? Nothing big to my knowledge, although Kinect 2.0 has possibilities.

Software-wise? The limited backwards compatibility with XBLive accounts alone will make the transition easier for some people who have subscribed to it for many years.

Games-wise? Microsoft doesn't have as much first party content as Sony or Nintendo, but Halo, Forza, and Fable are all pretty big, and the XBone will likely be the EA/Activision console of choice, meaning their games will become associated with the XBone.

Honestly, I am not very interested in the XBone, but at this point, unless Sony or Nintendo really surprise me, I'm going to assume that it's going to do well at least in America.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Imaginedvl said:

I did not even talk about Microsoft's claims in any way. And I'm not even talking about what is doable with the cloud processing or not... It is just a matter of comparing apples and oranges and then starting thread hoping for people to bash again on the Xbox One. If you want to talk about the advantage of steaming on the PS4, fine... Of the advantage of the cloud processing and the 3 VCPUs available to each Xbox One for developpers, fine (even if you do not see any advantage here). But just stop comparing then like the streaming capabilities of Gaikai would be the same thing.

My point is that these are just 2 distinct features (or advantages if you want to call them that way).

I actually consider, with proper bandwidth, the streaming capabilities of Gaikai to be superior to anything client-server split cloud based computing, because it can scale, while the cloud stuff really can't.  You CAN get stuff like larger worlds with processing there, but pure processing powerwise?

And that is about my thread here.  I am asking exactly WHAT advantages the One has over the PS4, and even PC, to the extend that the DRM and always on demands of the One would be able to be tolerated.

Okay, so basicaly, you think an apple is better than an orange :)
Alright, no arguments against that!

Games.
I'd imagine good XBLA titles again this round, great first party titles the first two years. If the systems sells well... even more games.

It's just that simple.

You'll get Call of Duty DLC first... and access to a water cooler.

Imaginedvl said:
JerCotter7 said:
Imaginedvl said:
richardhutnik said:

As much as there is talk of "the cloud", the PS4 is going to offer streaming.

Just this... Tells me that you have no idea what you are talking about ... Cloud Processing is completly different than Streaming... It clearly show that you just want another thread to bash the Xbox One without even understanding what Microsoft have to offer... Not going to waste my time explaining all the advantages.

It shows me who will accept anything MS reveal. In a way I hope Sony mess up in a similar way so I can see who will accept it on the Sony side.

lol If you really see that in my repy, I really congrat you because it is an achievement (see, MS achievement, not a trophy):)

So, you know that Microsoft did invent the notion of cloud processing right? And that Cloud Processing is just different than Streaming? It is a matter of fact and definition; nothing to do with being a fan of Microsoft or Sony...

Not sure what is the link with Microsoft's reveal or accepting anything from their PR here but well...

M$ invented Cloud Computing (processing same thing)? News to me buddy. Amazon had already beat them to the punch and so has google. Xbox's cloud computing uses Asure's services and servers so who's to say Sony can't ask amazon (Sony actually uses amazon aws as well as openstacks services for their gaming division) to create an infastructure for PlayStation cloud computing in the near future? It's not really that hard to impliment. You guys act as if Sony can't do it.

money? though I do not like the XB1, I do respect MS's advertising, they will shove this down people's throat(atleast in NA)