By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What is the XBox One's advantages?

Can someone explain to me exactly what advantages the One has over the PS4?  I am not seeing anything on the memory front.  As much as there is talk of "the cloud", the PS4 is going to offer streaming.  They look like they have similar features, but the PS4 doesn't show signs of having it worse on the DRM and "always on" front.  Based on analysis of specs, the PS4 is supposed to be superior to the One.

So, can someone explain to me what advantages the One has over the PS4?  Is it TV programming, and if you happen to just be a fan of certain Microsoft.  I don't see it.  Is it Kinect 2.0 that is the big difference?

Around the Network

I would say having to have every game installed allows for developers to take advantage of that. Being able to play disc games without having the disc in the tray (so the benefits of digital) being able to play your entire X1 library on any X1. Background downloads/install/updates also.

PS4 has more advantages over X1 obviously, but there are some X1 has that have come out of this DRM .. thing.

As far as the cloud enhancing games, I'll believe it when I see it and when Microsoft talks more about it.

Edit: X1 also has a poweful company with deep pockets behind it :P

You're missing the point. MS is not interested in beating Sony. They want to ensure continued sales of other Windows platforms: Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Phone. They want to be the go-to software company for any kind of living room entertainment. And they want people to be tied to the cloud so that it becomes hard to switch provider later.

Microsoft have far, far more money to spend than Sony.

The NSA gets to watch you smoke your bong over the interprism kinectwork.

Oh, what did you say? Advantage? I dunno.

User was warned for this post.

yo_john117

Around the Network
Seece said:

I would say having to have every game installed allows for developers to take advantage of that. Being able to play disc games without having the disc in the tray (so the benefits of digital) being able to play your entire X1 library on any X1. Background downloads/install/updates also.

PS4 has more advantages over X1 obviously, but there are some X1 has that have come out of this DRM .. thing.

As far as the cloud enhancing games, I'll believe it when I see it and when Microsoft talks more about it.

yeah, no. Sony already has that in place with their Vita, what makes you think that they wont have something similar in place for PS4?

OT PS4? Wrong, what does X1 have over PC? Thats the real question

oniyide said:
Seece said:

yeah, no. Sony already has that in place with their Vita, what makes you think that they wont have something similar in place for PS4?

OT PS4? Wrong, what does X1 have over PC? Thats the real question

Actually in the ps4 announcement Cerney stated that as you are playing your game the ps4 will install the game to your harddrive in the background.

We'll find out tomorrow.

Money and TV.

It's still pretty early to tell until we are past E3 and getting to their releases when we will know so much more. At this point we know MS has 300,000 servers for the new Xbox live and we r pretty sure Sony doesn't have anything close to that or they would have been advertising it. At this point u can pretty much b safe to say XB1 will have a much more expansive online experience. We also know MS will be focusing heavily into cloud computing to enable much richer experiences in games and much more computing power than what's in the box. This will bring XB1 capabilities much further than the limit of the box. We know Sony has Gaikai but they specialize in game streaming not cloud computing and that is different. MS has undoubtedly been building their cloud computing infrastructure for quite some time now.

Even though many Sony fans seem to make the "cloud" argument out to b a joke for what it will do on XB1 it will enhance all experiences quite a bit.

I think it's still hard to judge everything now but in time we will know more. I think way too many people seem to be throwing MS under the bus too early without knowing what XB1 really will bring.