By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What in the hell happened to this place?

This'll cheer you up

Around the Network
slowmo said:

I fail to see what the problem is, if I think the community here has turned completely to shit then I'll leave pure and simple.  There will be no big fan fare and goodbye post, I'll log out and not come back, that's my choice.  Before I make that decision I thought it better to share my thoughts which is the point of a forum.  Criticism would be fine but that's not what happens, threads get trolled constantly with the sole aim of disrupting any positive vibe or content and usually by the same 5 posters or so intially.  Every Microsoft fan if asked to name 5 users who cause the most trouble would easily name them.

I'll go further than to suggest what I say is true though, I'll prove it.  You explain how the behaviour in the thread below is acceptable:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=160762&page=1

One thread, that was all we wanted, one thread where it didn't get shit on by trolls and lo and behold they couldn't even stop themselves posting in it.  That is one of many examples but feel free to carry on denying there is any problem.  If the criticism actually had a point or added something that the same posters didn't post in every single thread then I wouldn't have so much of an issue. 

By the way, the following was posted by Axumblade in that very thread and yet people still continued to post negatively, even after being warned not to

For those who are wondering why DirtyP2002 said in the OP to not bring negativity into this thread, I gave him permission to open this thread and told him I would try to monitor it. Other threads, we see a lot of negative comments coming from, so it's good to have a place where people can discuss what they like about it free of criticism.

I pity the forum that the likes of you want, why not just rename the place n4g and be done with it. 

That is exactly the special case i mentioned. On those cases mods have every right to take action.

Though Sony fans with the Ps3 and Vita and nintendo fans with the 3DS and the Wii U have had this for the longest time. It comes to all, so lets not pretend it only happens with the Xbox. The trick is to ignore the trolls and keep chatting with the members you identify with. There really isnt gonna be an easy solution for this, and i doubt there is any place in the internet where that doesnt happen.

If you look, there is a Vita official thread on these forums. You rarely see any trolls in there. Less QQ more enjoy what you're doing. The trolls will leave if you dont feed them.

Nem said:

That is exactly the special case i mentioned. On those cases mods have every right to take action.

Though Sony fans with the Ps3 and Vita and nintendo fans with the 3DS and the Wii U have had this for the longest time. It comes to all, so lets not pretend it only happens with the Xbox. The trick is to ignore the trolls and keep chatting with the members you identify with. There really isnt gonna be an easy solution for this, and i doubt there is any place in the internet where that doesnt happen.

If you look, there is a Vita official thread on these forums. You rarely see any trolls in there. Less QQ more enjoy what you're doing. The trolls will leave if you dont feed them.

That's not 100% true for the Vita thread.  There were trolls, more early on.  We got them banned out of the thread (Not banned from the site).  Though I'll say, official threads should be tightly monitored since they're mostly news threads.  Regular threads though, should be free game.  For instance, me writing up a thread discussing hardware, most comments should go.  If I try that same thing in let's say, the Nintendo thread (Let's say, saying the 3D in the 3DS stupid) then that should warrant a ban.  Problem is that a select set of users/mods can't differentiate between opinion and trolling.

PDF said:
Winter is Coming!!!! or a new Console War!!!! they have similar effects on people.

I feel lik im from the watch. I don't take part in any wars, but im still going to have to wear some armor in preperation. Dodging arrows....

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

darkknightkryta said:
Nem said:

If I try that same thing in let's say, the Nintendo thread (Let's say, saying the 3D in the 3DS stupid) then that should warrant a ban.

Heh, funny you mention that. I actually did make a thread on the topic, though of course I didn't say it's stupid or anything of the sort. Just that I simply feel glasses 3D functionality on the 3DS woulda been better than the hands free 3D with it's pesky sweet spot, so I would have liked them to have either included both 3D methods or just went with glasses only. Even still, problems arised. It started off fine at first, but one guy I was having a civil debate with got pretty upset that I was defending my views and asking him to explain his instead of thinking I'll take his word as law, and so he slowly began deteriorating. Much snarky know it all attitude, petty insults, soft trolling, and just plain trying to make me look bad/wrong in anyway possible ensued, making themselves look uber sad and desperate in the process. I didn't bother reporting them or anything as I knew they'd give up eventually since they always do. I'm just too good for em hehe. Still, it's pretty sad (lol, more like hilarious!) that people are so serious on a silly internet forum and get upset when people have different opinions from theirs, and that they can't just accept it when they've lost a debate.

Around the Network

As someone who doesn't take sides in this thing i can tell you each camp gets it's fair amount of trolls evenly. To some it may seem like more than another because most of the time a follower of a camp will only go into those specific threads and when it does happen to you, you tend to remember it more.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Nem said:

How many special case threads and what time period would you like me to find before you admit there is a problem?  I'm serious because the sticking the head in the sand and pretending that this is just the odd thread where it happened unreasonably is ridiculous.  That's without going on to the next big problem which is multiple threads regarding the same "issues" where by the same posters will post the same "news" as lots of different threads because each one is a seperate article rather than posting them all in the original thread that raised the issue.  This results in the trolls spouting nonsense in 5+ threads and starting arguments in each rather than in one thread. 

slowmo said:
Nem said:

How many special case threads and what time period would you like me to find before you admit there is a problem?  I'm serious because the sticking the head in the sand and pretending that this is just the odd thread where it happened unreasonably is ridiculous.  That's without going on to the next big problem which is multiple threads regarding the same "issues" where by the same posters will post the same "news" as lots of different threads because each one is a seperate article rather than posting them all in the original thread that raised the issue.  This results in the trolls spouting nonsense in 5+ threads and starting arguments in each rather than in one thread. 

You cant stop people from talking about what they want to talk. Stop playing the victim. As i said, i understand and agree in dedicated threads, but what you want to do is to shut other people up so you dont have to read their opinions wich you disagree with. That cant be done or everyone else will leave. We do have freedom of speech in the internet, at least those living in free countries.

You are not forced to click on all those threads they may make afterall. The mods job is to merge those if they are about the same subject, but they shouldnt ban people for that unless someone is spamming of course.

Nem said:

You cant stop people from talking about what they want to talk. Stop playing the victim. As i said, i understand and agree in dedicated threads, but what you want to do is to shut other people up so you dont have to read their opinions wich you disagree with. That cant be done or everyone else will leave. We do have freedom of speech in the internet, at least those living in free countries.

You are not forced to click on all those threads they may make afterall. The mods job is to merge those if they are about the same subject, but they shouldnt ban people for that unless someone is spamming of course.

I aren't playing the victim so stop repeating that same nonsense. 

You do not have freedom of speech hence why the site has rules.  In fact generally I find freedom of speech is used as a argument for people to act like assholes to each other rather than any genuine desire to express an opinion.  There is very few countries which have freedom of speech but you're welcome to pretend that's not true.

slowmo said:
Nem said:

I aren't playing the victim so stop repeating that same nonsense. 

You do not have freedom of speech hence why the site has rules.  In fact generally I find freedom of speech is used as a argument for people to act like assholes to each other rather than any genuine desire to express an opinion.  There is very few countries which have freedom of speech but you're welcome to pretend that's not true.

You know.. feedom of speech is only freedom of speech aslong as it doesnt impact anothers freedom of speech. Thats why you have rules for those that cant tell the bounderies. What i have told you is they do impact you on dedicated threads, but they dont on miscelaneous threads.