By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony officially states that PlayStation 4 will not have DRM against used games

So, the system will still have the DRM, but 1st party games won't... Well, I guess it's PC + Wii U this gen.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
ironman said:
This could be good, it could be bad. If you are a dev, and you have the option to develop a game for a console where you get money every time somebody goes to sell used games, as apposed to getting no money every time somebody sells used games, which console are you going to develop more games for?

The problem with this is two fold, now what if you are a dev and NO ONE buys your game at all because of this pay wall DRM? That is certaintly a possibility. I can only speak for myself and a few others, but i would not buy that game unless I REALLY wanted it. And there are few games I would really want.

I think thats whats good about this. The publishers will have to decide whether the backlash is worth getting the few extra bucks from used game sales. Also I think they may start to see decline in game purchases due to the more indirect effects of not allowing used games sales or lending/borrowing of games. I think they'll realise that blocking used game does not equal more new game sales.

ironman said:
This could be good, it could be bad. If you are a dev, and you have the option to develop a game for a console where you get money every time somebody goes to sell used games, as apposed to getting no money every time somebody sells used games, which console are you going to develop more games for?

Third party exclusives are almost a thing of the past and if companies decide to make their game exclusives it will most likely because they got paid by Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and not because of which DRM will profit them the most.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Otakumegane said:
HesAPooka said:
Saw this on reddit. It's funny watching people on there try to twist this around and still try to make Sony look bad.

In a way it still is, 3rd parties are allowed to do this.

And we all know EA and Activision will.

That means to a degree, Sony are supporting the used games DRM, which makes Nintendo the only console manufacturer this gen not to restrict used games to any degree.

Honestly I'm a bit bummed that Sony "kinda" is going this route. And will still require you to go online for certain games. So it looks like I'll be getting a PS3 and sticking with it. This sealed the deal on my PS4 purchase in the future. 

I am reading this as you are boycotting PS4 due to this. If that is the case, please note that PS3 already has an online pass fee on multiplayer. That is on Sony first party and 3rd party games. So, if you are going to boycott PS4, then I would not recomend supporting PS3 either.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Otakumegane said:
HesAPooka said:
Saw this on reddit. It's funny watching people on there try to twist this around and still try to make Sony look bad.

In a way it still is, 3rd parties are allowed to do this.

And we all know EA and Activision will.

That means to a degree, Sony are supporting the used games DRM, which makes Nintendo the only console manufacturer this gen not to restrict used games to any degree.

Honestly I'm a bit bummed that Sony "kinda" is going this route. And will still require you to go online for certain games. So it looks like I'll be getting a PS3 and sticking with it. This sealed the deal on my PS4 purchase in the future. 

I am reading this as you are boycotting PS4 due to this. If that is the case, please note that PS3 already has an online pass fee on multiplayer. That is on Sony first party and 3rd party games. So, if you are going to boycott PS4, then I would not recomend supporting PS3 either.

Problem being PS4's might be fully integratd on to the system hardware itself (by disk readers) while the online pass is a software issue.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

all you people act like you know every single 3rd party publisher is going to have DRM...

Chevinator123 said:

all you people act like you know every single 3rd party publisher is going to have DRM...

This.  All third party publishers aren't going to add DRM.  Knowing the backlash that comes from it, a lot probably won't. 

PC software is pretty much digital only now, and how many games are constantly being released without DRM?  If these publishers aren't releasing their games on PC with DRM which can easily be just given to a friend and played without paying a cent, why are they g oing to just add DRM because it's a console.  Atleast with consoles you're required to use discs.

I think very few developers will lock games down with DRM.

kupomogli said:

Since the DRM requirement is through third party publishers through online pass, but rather a new game pass this time around. I'll just wait until each game is clarified whether it has a used game pass or not.

If it has a new/used game pass that's required. Then I won't get the game. Why would I when it's pretty much worthless when the console is dead? Atleast it's better than the Xbox One. Once developers stop getting sales by implementing this, then they won't implement it. There are other developers who probably wouldn't implement it anyways.  I'll get it for Steam a lot earlier for $10 on a sale.

MS can always issue a console update to rid of the drm system or towards the end of the console's life, if the drm system becomes more problematic than beneficial. An end of life update would make everyeone happy, when it is time to move on to better things.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

It's entertaining watching all the Master Chiefs trying to spin this as something bad so Xbox One isn't the only console with horribly shitty DRM

But the whole "we are so picked on" "we are so mistreated" and "it's us against the world" bullshit is getting old imo. Xbox fans aren't mistreated. They have no problem pointing out the PSN hack, Sony's online passes, Giant Enemy Crab, and Riiidge Raaacer.

But don't you dare lol at the console DRM, the reveal, or Kinect watching you fap because they will be deeply anally hurt by it and cry

After the PS4 reveal I heard the laughs. "How can you have a console reveal... without revealing the console hahahahaha". Even Major Nealson got into the act on twitter.

Now that the sand is in the other vagina... it is itchy is it not?

"Sony fans troll us" and yet there you are in every PS4/PS3/Vita/PSP or Sony related thread typing until your fingers bleed.

I don't know whatever fuck it. Norm Macdonald rules btw

User has been banned for this post.

^^pass the blunt

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence