By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony officially states that PlayStation 4 will not have DRM against used games

enditall727 said:
animegaming said:
lets boycott any 3rd party publisher who thinks blocking use games is a good idea

I think that will be complicated to do lol its too many to go after lol

why don't we make a list of publishers who use online passes to see which ones will probably do it 

Around the Network

I would have felt more confident if they had come right out and made a new statement to the effect that they never intended nor do they intend to implement mandatory DRM.

Referring back to a previous statement could be taken to mean they are not in a position to make a new statement yet so what they said previously stands until they formalise the details of their DRM plan. It could also just mean that they thought the first statement was evidence enough and the didn't need to provide any further clarification.

I truly hope it is the latter, not the former.

hmm, this is not news cause they've been repeatedly saying this for so many months. Obviously 3rd parties are going to charge for used games but their exclusives can be played used. I suppose its better than nothing but won't really help me decide which console to get cause I play mostly third party games anyways.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

UltimateUnknown said:
NobleTeam360 said:
So 3rd parties will probably implement some sort of DRM but not 1st party games? At least that's what I got out of this article. Anyway I just hope publishers like Square Enix and Namco don't implement these policies even though I buy all of their games new anyway but still.

I don't think its nearly as bad when left to 3rd parties as everyone is making it out to be. We had something very similar this gen with online passes. Some publishers, especially EA implemented it into their games but many didn't. Activision never had any online passes on their best selling franchise, COD. So it only makes sense next gen will see some using DRM while others won't. Those who use DRM though will face the heat and it'll be upto them to decide whether its worth it or not.

This is a lot better than M$'s way where every game has DRM and its console wide. They may be wanting the cut of the used game pie when you trade in via their Azure system.

I think your right. 

ironman said:
This could be good, it could be bad. If you are a dev, and you have the option to develop a game for a console where you get money every time somebody goes to sell used games, as apposed to getting no money every time somebody sells used games, which console are you going to develop more games for?

The problem with this is two fold, now what if you are a dev and NO ONE buys your game at all because of this pay wall DRM? That is certaintly a possibility. I can only speak for myself and a few others, but i would not buy that game unless I REALLY wanted it. And there are few games I would really want.

Around the Network

This is better than Microsoft's apparent stance but that isn't saying much. It's basically stating "Sony won't charge for used games, but we've put the infrastructure in place for our third parties to do so." This isn't something to celebrate.

I'll wait for clarification at E3, but I'd rather just get a better PC at this point. This kind of setup is a lot easier to swallow when you aren't paying $60 a game. People arguing that this tactic is good for consumers foolishly think companies will pass along the savings. Competition leads to better pricing, consoles are closed systems. So where will the incentive to reduce pricing come from? The PC has multiple digital games services. On consoles, you have to buy from the platform manufacturer.

So MS is FORCING it, Sony is ALLOWING it and Nintendo is saying, GTFO. Looks like Nintendo is standing up for the entire industry. I guess I'm going exclusively Nintendo this gen. It's time to make a stand.

Wright said:
enditall727 said:

The online pass was dumb

Not according to S.T.A.G.E, which was "more than happy" to pay for them.

Don't mix anything else in this conversation, as I haven't raised any other thing.

You're proving my point. If Sony does it, then it is not a corporate blow to gamers, but instead, something we can endure and condone.

Companies have to pay to keep the servers running so you can play online. Online doesn't happen for free. That being said, I was completely fine with online passes as I personally am willing to pay for something if I enjoy it. Offline single player, I don't like it if that were made pay to play but when you're online, money is needed to let you play online, hence the online pass.

CGI-Quality said:
I expect Microsoft to follow suit. In fact, I think much of the negative hysteria towards the Xbox One will be laid to rest @ E3.

But, in this case, good that it has been clarified from Sony!

funny that sounds familiar...oh wait that's what everyone was saying about the 21st.  Now I'm not saying it won't be laid to rest but I don't see how you can be confident in that at all.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

oniyide said:
ironman said:
This could be good, it could be bad. If you are a dev, and you have the option to develop a game for a console where you get money every time somebody goes to sell used games, as apposed to getting no money every time somebody sells used games, which console are you going to develop more games for?

The problem with this is two fold, now what if you are a dev and NO ONE buys your game at all because of this pay wall DRM? That is certaintly a possibility. I can only speak for myself and a few others, but i would not buy that game unless I REALLY wanted it. And there are few games I would really want.

I fully agree with that. I am a huge supporter of the used game market because it works much like the used car market in terms of cash flow, its good for all parties involved. On that note, good for Sony if they really are not going to impliment DRM.

@S.T.A.G.E. It's funny, I seem to recall you being very outspoken about how bad XBL is because you had to pay yearly for it...now when Sony speaks of doing something similar you are ok with paying for it? Typical. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!