By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony officially states that PlayStation 4 will not have DRM against used games

Heavenly_King said:
Baron said:
Disappointing to see Sony allow DRM. From what I understand EA is the only (major) publisher pushing for this. If Sony had done a Nintendo they might have got an EA boycott but EA would have been the biggest loser in all this. Microsoft would gain little with EA exclusivity and EA would lose heaps of money on missed PS3/PS4 sales.

If you consider that other interview, in which they said that you dont need internet connection at all to play games, then the only way they can add the DRM is for multiplayer stuff; making it like this gen and the online passes.

Let's hope so, but seeing as we're dealing with EA anything can happen. I wouldn't be at all surprised if EA games require you to go online for both Single- and Multiplayer.

Around the Network
Baron said:
Heavenly_King said:
Baron said:
Disappointing to see Sony allow DRM. From what I understand EA is the only (major) publisher pushing for this. If Sony had done a Nintendo they might have got an EA boycott but EA would have been the biggest loser in all this. Microsoft would gain little with EA exclusivity and EA would lose heaps of money on missed PS3/PS4 sales.

If you consider that other interview, in which they said that you dont need internet connection at all to play games, then the only way they can add the DRM is for multiplayer stuff; making it like this gen and the online passes.

Let's hope so, but seeing as we're dealing with EA anything can happen. I wouldn't be at all surprised if EA games require you to go online for both Single- and Multiplayer.

Perhaps they'll say that FIFA and Madden are now MMOs all of a sudden? :p

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

"it would be left to game publishers"

this could be very funny if they all decide to go through with it....

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

lol, what a thread we have here.
Most publishers do not want DRM.
DRM hurts overall game sales at market price because it affects the value of the game.
It's just big failing companies like EA who are trying to scrape as much money as possible who will get fucked.
Every game they release with DRM bombs. Not learning a lesson.

sales2099 said:

They could do the same on the PS3 if they so wished... Nothing changed. 

Around the Network
Hynad said:
sales2099 said:

They could do the same on the PS3 if they so wished... Nothing changed. 

Except the minds of EA and activision for starters

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

thismeintiel said:
ironman said:
thismeintiel said:
mantlepiecek said:

It's a little funny to see everyone think sony will do something because MS did. Last gen it was xbox live gold, pay to play online, Sony will follow it. This time it is DRM, Sony says it didn't follow it, people make stupid comparisons with online passes while they pay to play online essentially getting locked their mp component from all their games. Even new games.

Would be interesting to see this gen indeed.

So true.  But, I guess I can't blame them.  They are worried.  Really no other way to put it.  They know MS has greatly limited the audience they can sell to, now.  And while they won't say it, MS's TV centric reveal has them worried, as well.  Just reminds me of the past 3 E3s for MS, where core gaming has taken a back seat to mulitmedia features and Kinect. 

I mean, why else can Sony say the PS4 can be played without being connected to the internet ever, yet they still have to convince others (or maybe themselves) that 3rd parties are going to be able to do DRM?  The only way they could do it is for multi-player, as some have done this gen.  Of course, that doesn't matter if you have crap or no internet.

You guys are hilarious. MS's first press release focused on the casual side of things, their E3 press conference will focus mainly on the games. This was a brilliant strategy because the people they were trying to appeal with in the first conference are not likely to be interested in E3 and would have missed the very marketing MS wanted them to see had MS focused on the games instead of the other features.

Yep, cause there would have been SO MANY casuals watching the reveal.  This "E3 excuse" was just started to combat the negative reaction to the conference.  And I bet that, even though Major Nelson said otherwise, they will still focus some time on the TV features at E3.

actually mainstream media watched and reported on it, which casuals pay attention to......so it was indirectly aimed at them