By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - [Staff] The Monthly Ban Report - May (Naughty VGChartz !)

I'm surprised no one has yet up the "free speech" argument. Oh wait, I think they're all permabanned to even argue anymore lol.

Anyway that is a LOT of trolling and flaming that went on this month. I get the Xbone reveal was controversial to say the least, but do people really need to troll and flame so badly? I saw people partake in such festivities lol and just moved away.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:

Well it is true that I haven´t had the time lately to visit here frequently. I know I got banned for a bunch of bullshit, that could easily be solved by a warning. And that is frustrating. 

And I remember a Thread where one of our mods literally trolled EA and nobody gave a fuck about it. If this would have been me or somebody else talking about Nintendo that way we would have gotten banned by a mod. 

I guess what I wanted to say, maybe they should use more space to redeem ourself if a post a user makes is considered inappropriate give him/her the chance to edit or rephrase it. instead of banning the user. 

But despite all that I still love this fourm, imo its the best and most accesible in the Internet

Many people got mad at those posts. Many people replied to them and made their opinions clear. Maybe he didn't get banned, but it didn't go unnoticed.

Darth Tigris said:

That ... was epic.  For me, though, not exactly a revelation but more of a clear confirmation.  Did any moderations or bans come out of this?

Nah.

Its not against any rule here to do anything he did there.

NintendoPie said:
AndrewWK said:

Well it is true that I haven´t had the time lately to visit here frequently. I know I got banned for a bunch of bullshit, that could easily be solved by a warning. And that is frustrating. 

And I remember a Thread where one of our mods literally trolled EA and nobody gave a fuck about it. If this would have been me or somebody else talking about Nintendo that way we would have gotten banned by a mod. 

I guess what I wanted to say, maybe they should use more space to redeem ourself if a post a user makes is considered inappropriate give him/her the chance to edit or rephrase it. instead of banning the user. 

But despite all that I still love this fourm, imo its the best and most accesible in the Internet

Many people got mad at those posts. Many people replied to them and made their opinions clear. Maybe he didn't get banned, but it didn't go unnoticed.

Well thats something I guess.

AndrewWK said:
Well it is easy to blame the users. But I sometimes have the fealing that some of our mods respond to every report with a ban.

You say saomething about you get banned by certain mod (even if it is objective observation), the you mention this in another Thread you get banned by another mod. You try to argue with somebody, he runs out of arguments reports you and you get banned.

On the other hand a mod trolls all over the place, gets reported and nobody gives a fuck.

Well I gotta say nice job guys, really nice job.

What happened to warnings? So one knows when he is overstepping? You might misunderstood the concept of a community. We should work together not against each other.

Warnings are given for first time offenses in a category (trolling, flaming, spamming), after that it moves to increasingly longer bans for each offense. The only way to go back to warnings is to be moderation free for a long period of time.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
NintendoPie said:
AndrewWK said:

3rd party companies are treated differently by the mods than home consoles.  You can hate more openly on 3rd party companies without being banned. 

sethnintendo said:
AndrewWK said:
NintendoPie said:
AndrewWK said:

3rd party companies are treated differently by the mods than home consoles.  You can hate more openly on 3rd party companies without being banned. 

Yeah I have noticed that, especailly if the companies are called EA or any EA studio. I mean This is kinda sad and frustrating.

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:

Using NeoGaf as an example, here is one of their rules. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390708

"E. No posts should be made regarding your opinion of another user's actions or behavior. You may not discuss the NeoGAF rules and regulations on the forum. Any and all discussions regarding these matters should be discussed by email only."

Why doesn't VgChartz have a rule like this? If you have nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all. Expressing your opinion over another user is bound to offend him/her no matter how you phrase it and no matter how much truth there may be to it. There' a reason NeoGaf is the most popular gaming forum out there. Rules like this are a big part of it.

What a horrible rule. It gives the moderators 100% power to control the hivemind. If you publicly say what a problem with GAF is, they can ban you as they see fit. If you contact them via e-mail, it might take days until you get a response. That is, if they can be bothered to respond at all. If you publicly say that the moderators aren't responding to your e-mails, they can ban you as they see fit.

You see, the users on GAF are completely at the mercy of the moderators, because the mods have no obligations to address problems.

Also, this rule forbids you to be a man and say it like it is, and instead encourages you to talk behind people's backs. But I understand why you are in favor of a rule that forbids people to call out others.

Well VgChartz already forbids discussing moderations and critiizng mods outside a select few threads such as this one. I'd say we're halfway there already.

Jay520 said:
VGKing, why did show double standards. Explain yourself.

Carl went to an old post I made. Months old. Now, like all human beings, I am susceptible to have changing opinions and preferences over time. A good example is PS Move, I thought it would be the best things ever and kill the Wiimote. Then I tried it myself, its collecitng dust. My opinion has changed. I am human. 
After Carl dug up my old post, I decided I didn't like getting stalked and critiziced so I edited that old comment and made it blank & I made my profile viewable by friends only. 

I'm sure Carl wouldn't like people bringing up his old posts for everyone to see. So if anyone has double standards here, its probably Carl.

VGKing said:

Well VgChartz already forbids discussing moderations and critiizng mods outside a select few threads such as this one. I'd say we're halfway there already.

I'd rather support something that "partially" allows free speech rather than the alternative which is none at all. If you can't speak about other user line of action or thought, you, me, and 99% of VGChartz would have been banned already.

Don't embrace something you don't actually support.