By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last Of Us Demo IS LIVE!!!

My thoughts after finishing the demo.

Very short!

Gameplay: I love the slower pace of the game and more open spaces than those in Uncharted that let you have some fun scavenging. Game is still about the story and a journey so I guess it will still be pretty linear, like something in between actually and that's good.
The mechanics are on par with Uncharted, so responsive, and fluid maybe a bit less than in Uncharted, they have a heavier feeling, fits perfectly with Joels character and adds to realism of the game imo.
Shooting is a bit tweaked since U3, for the better in this kind of game. Melee is a different league really, very fluid perfect animations, you need to be quick on the buttons to counter attack when there are many enemies, very realistically brutal - overall awesome.
I love the fact that that weapons are destructible, so you should watch up if you have something spare close to you, especially for melee, since brawling is way less effective. Upgrading and creating new things, all seamless to the gameplay is very cool, also the fact the you can carry one gun at a time and the second is in your bag, so when you want to change them you need a moment to reach for it.

Atmosphere is definately there, but maybe it is just me growing up, but the fragment wasn't very scary (and I'm easily scared in games) but in the last fragment when the situation got heated with several enemies on me I felt tense as fuck :P

Graphics, well...Hard to say. This fragment of the game in this setting (pittsburgh?) when it first hit youtube was considered the least visually attractive from the bunch of gameplay fragments released to date so I'll hold my judgment until the actual game. Overall I would say it's slightly worse than Uncharted 3 with all chararters better than those in U3 - Joel looks at least on par with Drake, Ellie and Tess better than Elena and Sully for example, clickers better than enemies from U3. I encountered a few graphical bugs thoughout, for example with windows and some textures dissapearing, on the other hand the draw distance is better than U3 showed.
There were some cool physics showcased, particularly regarding water.
Also the AI of the clickers and runners(?) was really good

Overall I really liked the game, I can't wait for encounters with human AI and am still very excited for the whole experience. With my style of play (heavy scavenging, a lot of planing before starting a fight, plus stealth) I believe it will last me at least 16 hours from what ND said about the games' lenght.

Edit. I played on normal and there was a bit too much of ammo for my liking, I gathered 16 rounds, although after a lot of scavenging.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network

I am impressed.
Played it on hard and it was really hard :o

Short demo, but it was fucking amazing. The detail and environment in the game is great, gameplay was very good and now I understand why they added in a listen mode. I'm just disappointed that I haven't seen any multiplayer on this game, otherwise thoroughly impressed with what I played. Just disappointed it was so short.

eFKac said:

My thoughts after finishing the demo.

Very short!

Gameplay: I love the slower pace of the game and more open spaces than those in Uncharted that let you have some fun scavenging. Game is still about the story and a journey so I guess it will still be pretty linear, like something in between actually and that's good.
The mechanics are on par with Uncharted, so responsive, and fluid maybe a bit less than in Uncharted, they have a heavier feeling, fits perfectly with Joels character and adds to realism of the game imo.
Shooting is a bit tweaked since U3, for the better in this kind of game. Melee is a different league really, very fluid perfect animations, you need to be quick on the buttons to counter attack when there are many enemies, very realistically brutal - overall awesome.
I love the fact that that weapons are destructible, so you should watch up if you have something spare close to you, especially for melee, since brawling is way less effective. Upgrading and creating new things, all seamless to the gameplay is very cool, also the fact the you can carry one gun at a time and the second is in your bag, so when you want to change them you need a moment to reach for it.

Atmosphere is definately there, but maybe it is just me growing up, but the fragment wasn't very scary (and I'm easily scared in games) but in the last fragment when the situation got heated with several enemies on me I felt tense as fuck :P

Graphics, well...Hard to say. This fragment of the game in this setting (pittsburgh?) when it first hit youtube was considered the least visually attractive from the bunch of gameplay fragments released to date so I'll hold my judgment until the actual game. Overall I would say it's slightly worse than Uncharted 3 with all chararters better than those in U3 - Joel looks at least on par with Drake, Ellie and Tess better than Elena and Sully for example, clickers better than enemies from U3. I encountered a few graphical bugs thoughout, for example with windows and some textures dissapearing, on the other hand the draw distance is better than U3 showed.
There were some cool physics showcased, particularly regarding water.
Also the AI of the clickers and runners(?) was really good

Overall I really liked the game, I can't wait for encounters with human AI and am still very excited for the whole experience. With my style of play (heavy scavenging, a lot of planing before starting a fight, plus stealth) I believe it will last me at least 16 hours from what ND said about the games' lenght.

Edit. I played on normal and there was a bit too much of ammo for my liking, I gathered 16 rounds, although after a lot of scavenging.

Thanks for the detailed review, sounds definitely interesting.

Wonderful game

Around the Network

Yeah that was amazing!!

Combat: Animations are so smooth and are pretty seamless. As someone else was saying Joel definitely as a heavier feel to him. Clickers are scary as fuck. Runners are as well. Everything works very well together.

Crafting: Only crafted one item and it was well done. Also had to use a health pack once and that shit is scary when you have clickers and runners on your ass. Very immersive!! And I know there are some people who worried about the inventory looking odd and I'm telling anybody who has those concerns to get rid of them. Inventory fits well. HUD is great too.

Characters: Joel is well done and his animation is well done. Joel and Ellie look awesome. Not once did they ever get in the way.

Graphics: Does anyone know if this was an alpha build or a beta build. Either way it looks phenomenal. Incredible draw distance and detail. Textures are very good. Easily as good or better than Uncharted 3 at times. These levels look pretty massive. It's linear, but there are many different ways to go to scavenge and other stuff. I know at some point in the demo I would not be able to travel backwards, but did anybody try to towards the beginning of the game?

Will play it again later to try some different things out.

*edit*  Forgot to say the sound is definitely some of the best and the atmosphere is intense.  I was so nervous at every door I opened that there would be an infected waiting nearby.  Oh, and the level design is superb.   Feels like ND has another amazing game.

pezus said:
DamnTastic said:
pezus said:
DamnTastic said:
god fucking damned.
Patch 1.07 won't download here always getting error 80029563 -.-'
I just wan't to play TLoU :l

Same issue as me then.

It seems you have to delete the patch ps+ downloaded for you and then redownload it.

trying it now

EDIT: Worked :p

I just can't, because the system freezes when it goes to the patch screen after launching the game (after having deleted previous game data)

I had a problem with that patch also.  It had the little bubble where a download is finished and you have to install.  But I got the error when installing and I just deleted the download bubble and let ps+ redownload it and it worked.  Don't know exactly if something like that is happening to you?

I don't see it in the EU PS Store..

Did anybody see any jaggies. I was looking to see if they improved them over Uncharted 3 and it looks like they did.

NAUGHTY DOG!!!