By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros on 3DS and Wii U was a terrible idea

Tagged games:

KHlover said:
They are not the same game, so I don't really see the problem. It's not guaranteed they'll release at the same time either. Oh well, I'll buy both anyways...

Wait, wasn't it confirmed by Sakurai himself that he wanted to release both on the same day? I could've sworn I saw this on an article some time ago... >.>

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network

Well the game won't be here til next year, there would have had a decent library by then.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

not really. isnt smash all about playing with your friends? yeah on 3ds you can play online but it isnt the same thing.
this wont hurt the game sales IMO. because almost everybody who bought smash games before bought it for the local multiplayer.

They won´t be the same game, so what´s the point ?

I expect them to have some kind of interaction, though, something that can be used for cross-platform multiplayer, just like Capcom did with monster hunter 3 ultimate (it works very well with this game)

I REAAAAAAALLLLY think it's premature to say that when we know next to nothing about the game. Worst of all, there really is only about 2 weeks until we start getting info about the game, why not wait until then?

Around the Network

Curl, I had this initial reaction too. I think Nintendo is wise to keep its products seperate so they don't fight each other. However, the more I thought about it and the more I learned about the SSB4 project, the more I realised it is a good idea to have it on both, because:
-they will not be the same game.
-after a huge 2013, 3DS is going to need a big title for 2014.
-the 3DS title will likely be a complementary title to the WiiU flagship.
-the Wii U experience will be much bigger and better.
-the large audience playing on 3DS will lead people to buying the Wii U and its version.

It's this last point that is relevant. Nintendo really needs to use 3DS as a gateway drug. Many, many gamers have their first experiences on a Nintendo handheld. If all of them moved on to or added Nintendo home consoles, Nintendo would dominate the market. I think a 3DS game that encourages consumers to pick up the Wii U version could be huge. It could also make the Wii U Smash really seem like a next-gen title after playing the inferior 3DS title. I think we saw a little bit of this potential with people loving NSMB and then picking up NSMBWii and it's 4-player chaos. More efforts like this could only help Nintendo's position.

Apparently I missed the confirmation that the Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros games would be completely different games.

Anyone have a source for this?

curl-6 said:
Apparently I missed the confirmation that the Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros games would be completely different games.

Anyone have a source for this?

There's no confirmation going either way, that's why I say to wait until they actually show more... which is really soon, you know.

I hope they release it earlier than the 3DS version. The Wii U needs its hype. They also need to make the Wii U version seem to be the superior version. The 3DS is already successful and doesn't need more than Pokemon X/Y and Monster Hunter 4 to dominate every other platform.

LilChicken22 said:
I hope they release it earlier than the 3DS version. The Wii U needs its hype. They also need to make the Wii U version seem to be the superior version. The 3DS is already successful and doesn't need more than Pokemon X/Y and Monster Hunter 4 to dominate every other platform.

Not really true with that last part.  Any system needs a good and steady stream of games to keep alive and relevant.  

Also, there are a lot of people who simply would just want Super Smash Bros on a home console instead of a handheld.