By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros on 3DS and Wii U was a terrible idea

Tagged games:

Smash Bros is all about Local Multiplayer. 3DS stands no chance...

For the sake of development speed I would like to see launch on Wii U first. Only then should they start porting it to the 3DS. Ideally releasing it a few months later at a cheaper price, that way people are more likely to make the double dip.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Smash Bros is all about Local Multiplayer. 3DS stands no chance...

For the sake of development speed I would like to see launch on Wii U first. Only then should they start porting it to the 3DS. Ideally releasing it a few months later at a cheaper price, that way people are more likely to make the double dip.

What if each game has a 40 person roster, with only 25 of the same characters.

If you own both versions you can sync them up and then have the full 55 character roster on both versions?

Something like that would make people buy both versions easily.  This topic is kind of irrelivent since we know so little.  People need to quit assuming that this will be like PS3/Vita crossplay where the games are exactly the same.  Wait until you get confirmation on if they are the same, different or what.

Also 3DS is huge on Local play as well.  Just look at like Monster Hunter games, people get together to play sitting together. At least in Japan, maybe not in U.S., but Local play is huge in Japan on handhelds.

Actually this is very good idea in the grand scheme of things for both Nintendo as a company and us as consumers. For Nintendo, it'll help push both their systems, and likely generate more sales overall for the game with people likely to get both copies. For us, we get the option of choosing which system we want the game for based on our personal situations, and if we get both, we can enjoy Smash on the go aswell as at home with friends. According to a poll I made a while ago, it seems most people will either get both versions or the Wii U copy, so it's definitely safe to say it'll still sell Wii U's, which btw I don't understand why you care so much about. Do you gain a percentage of the profits for each Wii U sold lol?

You have no idea what the games are, so you can't possible know that Smash Bros on Wii U and 3DS was a "terrible" idea. You literally have nothing to base it on. For all we know, 3DS Smash comes free with each Wii U disc. If that were to happen, it would be the complete opposite of what you're saying.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Not sure why it's a bad idea to let the most people play the game as they can, and if you still think it won't sell many, many millions on the Wii U (millions more than on the 3DS no doubt), then I fear you may be wrong. Smash is for consoles, not handhelds.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Screamapillar said:
You have no idea what the games are, so you can't possible know that Smash Bros on Wii U and 3DS was a "terrible" idea. You literally have nothing to base it on. For all we know, 3DS Smash comes free with each Wii U disc. If that were to happen, it would be the complete opposite of what you're saying.

Well regardless of all that, there's no denying that more Wii Us would be bought if Smash was exclusive, that's what seems to be the OP's issue. Still that begs the question of why he cares. As long as the Wii U sells decently enough for Nintendo to keep supporting it and eventually roll out a new console, then we as gamers/consumers should not really care how much it sells as there's nothing in it for us. Infact it's better for us if doesn't sell hotly as it means they'll do everything they can to make the system a more appealing product via price drops n such.

I don't see the problem. American and European gamers will far prefer the Wii U version. In Japan the 3DS version will probably be a bigger hit than any previous Smash Bros game. Sounds like a win/win.

the_dengle said:
I don't see the problem. American and European gamers will far prefer the Wii U version. In Japan the 3DS version will probably be a bigger hit than any previous Smash Bros game. Sounds like a win/win.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I am not sure where people got the idea that people don't play local multiplayer games on handhelds. Pokemon, Monster Hunter PSP/3DS, and Mario Kart DS/3DS are probably the three biggest local multiplayer game franchises in the world that aren't motion control centric.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Smash bros isn't a handheld game. I wonder what Nintendo was thinking when they put it on handheld.

All of smash bros fun is playing with friends on the same TV. Mario Kart is fun online but smash bros is only fun with friend in the same living room.

I hope the Wii U version is the lead version.