By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VC is not overpriced, and this is proof.

The VC is pretty pricy. I've seen compilation disks of retro games that were significantly cheaper than what the VC price would have been. Also, I've heard that the VC is overpriced compared to Xbox Live. I don't have a 360 so I don't know, but that's what I've heard.

Anyways yeah sure it's better than the hard copies, but does that make it the right price? It can be cheaper than hard copies of the game but still be overpriced.

Around the Network

That is why VC is one of the best thing on Wii IMO.

100% Coritiba Foot Ball Club!

wfz said:
The VC is pretty pricy. I've seen compilation disks of retro games that were significantly cheaper than what the VC price would have been. Also, I've heard that the VC is overpriced compared to Xbox Live. I don't have a 360 so I don't know, but that's what I've heard.

Anyways yeah sure it's better than the hard copies, but does that make it the right price? It can be cheaper than hard copies of the game but still be overpriced.

I'll give compilation discs, but that still isn't proof the VC is overpriced, just that those deals cost less.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

wiiforever said:
smbu2000 said:

Oh, I know what's overpriced on VC, all the Genesis games at 800 points. On the Wii in Japan all the Genesis(Mega Drive) games are only 600 points (stares at my JP Wii) :)

Personally, I like having the cartridges and seeing things like this:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/smbu2000/misc/DVC00138.jpg

is that becasue of 3rd party fees?

I'm not sure why that is. It may be just because the Genesis was much more popular in the US than it was in JP. I first found out about the difference after reading the Retro round-up over at 1up.com, where they mentioned the price differential. I have a few Genesis VC games on my Wii that I paid 600 points for.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

In Sweden we pay almost $2 (maybe $1.80) for 100 Wii points, that's around $10 for a NES game. I don't know if I think that just the software of for example Clu-clu land or Slalom is worth that much.

Many of the games - even though they are classics and still fun to play - are just on the level of simple flash games.

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
Around the Network

It's a poor comparison. When you buy a used game you're buying a collector's item -- essentially an antique -- much more than the software stored on it. This is why used games in good shape are worth more than ones with dented boxes, missing instruction manuals, etc. It's also why people are actually still buying these used games for much more than they could pay elsewhere.

The VC is absurdly overpriced. If you want a much fairer comparison, look at the versions of these games that appear on XBL and the PSN. Here you find classic games with enhanced graphics, sound, and controls for about half what you pay on the Virtual Console. And you don't need to buy a special controller to play them.

Now, it's not all that bad. N64 games are a pretty good deal at $10. Everything else is completely out of line, though, with the worst being Genesis/SNES games at $8.

The market decides if it's overpriced, and obviously it's not. I mean, the sales are great.

Still have not bought a VC game, dial up wtf.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

iFlower7 said:
The market decides if it's overpriced, and obviously it's not. I mean, the sales are great.

This is basically what it comes down to. I mean, it's not like Nintendo has a monopoly on the sale of these classic titles, since people can easily pick them up through the secondary market. So, the fact that people are buying them over secondary-market cartridges and hardware means that the consumer must perceive that an advantage exists with the VC. That advantage could be price, convenience, or any number of other things.

I think it's a combination of several different factors. Not only are VC offerings priced for impulse buying (you can pay for and download a title in 10 minutes or less), they also offer the advantage of having several classic consoles on your Wii. So, for example, I don't need to own, store, and hook up a Genesis just to play one or two games. I don't have to spend $100 on a Turbo Duo on eBay just to play Gate of Thunder. I don't have to search everywhere for a NeoGeo just to play a round of KoF '94 with a friend. And so on...

Honestly, if you think the VC is "overpriced," you probably don't understand that there's more factors to consider than just simple pricing schemes.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom