By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo is the only one who has balls

I'd agree somewhat if Nintendo took any form of financial risks in their consoles. There is absolutely no excuse for them not to be competitive on the hardware front, other than a complete fear of the potential negative side effects, that in essence is the exact opposite of 'ballsy'.

Nintendo certainly follows their own creative paths and doesn't die on the vine for third party support. So to that extent they're 'ballsy'. Nintendo literally makes a console with 10 year old + technology and re-brands it as a new console and you call them 'ballsy'?

They aren't ballsy with their pocketbook, which in regard to any business is the 'biggest' way you could be ballsy.

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:

Could you please provide links that confirm the following information:

- Trip doing whatever he did in response to the "power" of Nintendo.

You bring the EA example, what else can you mention that could make the industry biased against Nintendo? EA is not the whole industry. Please, things that show that they are purposely biased, not just expresing their feelings on Nintendo.

Sony is reliant in third parties for what in specific? They have many exclusives and they sell very well, not comparable to the ones from Nintendo for the Wii but that is an exception Nintendo themselves will have difficulty to repeat. Even Micro seems to be stepping up their game, we will see. Third parties are an advantage, everyone wants them including Nintendo.

I didn't get the last paragraph, the things in quotes. I recall reading comments about people wanting Nintendo to expand development in order to provide more games due to the drought in games currently in the WIiU.

1) "Electronic Arts's relationship with Sega produced significant rewards for both companies. Genesis quickly became a lucrative new outlet for Electronic Arts, and Sega benefited from having a line of sophisticated games that appealed to and older audience more than most games on the NES.

Nintendo approached Electronic Arts about making games for NES in the mid-1980s, long before Sega announced Genesis. But Hawkins did not want to make games for the eight-bit console. He and many other Electronic Arts board members felt that NES was not powerful enough to run their computer games and they did not want to downgrade their games to run on it. Like many people at the time, Hawkins was openly disdainful of console games and critical of Nintendo's chances of success", -- The Ultimate History of Video Games by Steven L. Kent, p. 409.

Familiar rhetorics, isn't it? "Older audience", "not powerful enough", "do not want to downgrade" etc. He never really changed his stance on Nintendo and console in general to a lesser extent despite being proven wrong. For the record if you think Steven Kent is some sort of Nintendo-worshipper, he really isn't. He was openly critical about the Wii, thought it'd fail (many thought that way though), when was proven wrong was quoted to say smth like "I pity that people weren't smart enough not to buy this piece of shit", -- or smth along those lines.

2) When I was more interested in the subject VGC is dealing with, I did this chart. These are revenues from video game publishing on all relevant consoles at the time:

I still have methodology for this and links on the sources (though links might be broken by now). I went over trouble to check every fiscal report of major publishers back then and make them consistent (different fiscal periods, GAAP vs. Non-GAAP, currency conversion etc., no inflation depreciation though). The most questionable numbers are "Others" as I took them from VGC directly.

So to put this chart into words, Nintendo used to be HUGE, every fourth buck made in the biz was made by Nintendo just on two consoles versus sixth of them for the rest of the publishers, or two put it differently in 2009 Nintendo was as big as four it's biggest contenders put together. Nintendo potentionally could be literally not-reliant on third parties at all, the only way to convience third parties to make a consistent publishing business on Nintendo hardware is to make Nintendo hardware dominant by Nintendo software. Sony cannot do that, not even close, while Nintendo theoretically still could that.

mai said:

Nintendo is basically eating EA's pie. EA is justified to be hating Nintendo.

TripleMMM said:

Blimey, you made me feel like the good cop here. .  . *facepalm

If you think that's facepalm worthy, imagine me reading your replies. If you really find it that hard to just agree to disagree like adults, then don't bother responding to my posts. It's fairly simple.

Areym said:
How do you know they will be amazing, hmm? Can you see into the future, huh?
Can you literally see into the future and confirm that the WiiU will get amazing games? So amazing, that we should all go out and buy Wii U because games are coming...and they will be amazing?

Nintendo is no saint either. News are that they are trying to claim ad revenue money from people doing Let's Play videos. Granted, they can legally do it, just like how Sony and MS may want to block used games on THEIR consoles, because those videos contain Nintendo-related content. That is a hefty slap in the face to many followers of these videos and the makers.

You can't win them all, hivy.

I guess you didn't saw my post when I first brought it up, so you don't know other companies are doing this as well...

DevilRising said:

TripleMMM said:

Blimey, you made me feel like the good cop here. .  . *facepalm

If you think that's facepalm worthy, imagine me reading your replies. If you really find it that hard to just agree to disagree like adults, then don't bother responding to my posts. It's fairly simple.

Hmm, I guess I should've put some imphassis that that comment was meant for sarcastic purposes. Seems like I failed to made you understand that and I was also agreeing with you in a joking manner. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network
TripleMMM said:
Areym said:
How do you know they will be amazing, hmm? Can you see into the future, huh?
Can you literally see into the future and confirm that the WiiU will get amazing games? So amazing, that we should all go out and buy Wii U because games are coming...and they will be amazing?

Nintendo is no saint either. News are that they are trying to claim ad revenue money from people doing Let's Play videos. Granted, they can legally do it, just like how Sony and MS may want to block used games on THEIR consoles, because those videos contain Nintendo-related content. That is a hefty slap in the face to many followers of these videos and the makers.

You can't win them all, hivy.

I guess you didn't saw my post when I first brought it up, so you don't know other companies are doing this as well...

Oh gosh, I'm sorry. Let me go look at all 12 pages, post by post and get back to you on that, hun.

Also, it doesn't surprise me. My only point is that I think companies are losing touch with what gamers really want, what kind of features they want on their consoles and that just as we sometimes demonize Sony and MS, Nintendo a cheecky little devil. I bet a lot of people would gadly trade some of those social/TV applications from the Xbox one for some bakwards compatability. They are also not very concious of the good that used games or LP can do for them. While it does cost sales and it is a business after all, there can be a lot of potential buyers the next time around.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

This has been an eye-opener for me. I'll watch how this develops

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

AbbathTheGrim said:

Balls to U

Too many assumptions here:

Not pleasing third parties equals having courage.

Not considering that in the end Nintendo could adopt it.

Not considering that Sony could not implement it. The info of whether Sony has had the intention of implementing it is dubious we need to wait and see like we (or at least I) did for the Xbone.

Not considering that Micro and Sony could implement it for their own interest.

Micro did it all for EA.

EA dropped the DRM after seeing what Micro with by their own initiative were doing with the always online (every 24 hours) and used games restrictions. You can't dismiss this possibility.

EA just dropping DRM because of the backlash they've gotten for it, Micro's decision may not have been a factor to EA dropping DRM.

Nintendo not giving way to Origins as some sort of heroic take on gaming when they simply and most likely didn't want EA to have a big piece of the online cake. Just like how they didn't want Sony when they tried to make business with them to provide the CD format for their next console after Super Nintendo. I know you guys want to see Nintendo as the paladin's of gaming or something like that but gaming is for a great part a business.

That Nintendo has some special balls. Even if you think they have balls for this you posted, they would only have balls for certain things which makes the whole point just a particular discussion. For example, does Nintendo has the balls to go into this holiday and bundle WiiU with a Mature title like ZombieU? Like both Micro and Sony have done in previous years with their bundles?

I'm pretty sure this thread was about having the balls to stand up to 3rd parties.

You say he makes too many assumptions, but then you go on to make your own. (underlined)

It's either you play speculative or you don't.

DevilRising said:

You know, it is possible for two adults to have a disagreement on something, without devolving into the speak and rhetoric of an immature, spoiled 13 year old troll. You ARE aware of that right? Just checking, because your post comes off like exactly that.

I stated RATHER clearly that Nintendo is obviously a company out to make money. I also stated RATHER clearly that Yamauchi's business tactics were at least somewhat ruthless. I ALSO stated the already-long-known reasons they impemented those tactics in the first place, as WELL as the wide-spread common knowledge that they had already really relaxed those tactics by the SNES era.

And again, where do you get this crap that publishers didn't make money with Nintendo? Please, do tell me WHAT big, relevant publishers DIDN'T make money with Nintendo. Would it be Capcom? Nope, their games sold like hotcakes on SNES, and far better than they did on Genesis. And theirs were always some of the highest selling on NES. Konami then? Nope, seems like they did rather well for themselves on SNES too, as with the NES before it. Square? Well damn it, seems that FFIV, VI, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, etc. all did RATHER well on store shelves. Enix not as much in the States, but games like Actraiser and Illusion of Gaia still did good business for them. Acclaim/Midway? Again, there games like Mortal Kombat, etc. did really well, especially MK2.

So I'm just not really sure who you're referring to that didn't make money with Nintendo back in the day. Because what I was talking about, was SPECIFICALLY in reply to your insenuation that Nintendo's third party issues of today, have something at all to do with third parties' reasons for going with Playstation back in the N64 era. And I very clearly pointed out information that was ALSO openly and readily available common knowledge to any gamer who bothers to look. Those big publishers left because of the CD format and nothing else. Many that stayed, like Midway, Acclaim, THQ, etc, did in fact make money on N64 with games like Turok, Doom 64, NBA Hangtime, Extreme G, SF Rush, Cruis'n World, Wrestlemania 2000, etc.

And as for that drivel at the end....and I'm not even sure a single word of that really merits response. You treating my post as if I'm just some raving "Nintendo Defense Force" kid, when that isn't the case at all, is laughable. What you're doing is an age old internet forum tactic, wherein you disagree with someone's post, so instead of acting like a grown up and discussing things rationally, agreeing to disagree, etc., you instead treat that person like their opinion is invalid because "Oh, you're just an _____ fan". That tactic is as old as it is lame. I highly suggest the next time you want to have a discussion, try actually having a discussion, and not just performing the equivalent of an internet tantrum. Thanks and have a nice day.

You are acting a complete hypocrite and I have no respect for you.  I assure you, you are no martyr.  I mocked you because of YOU started insulting me.  YOU started with the combative attitude.  YOU started insulting other types of games as though only YOUR tastes are any good.  If you say otherwise, then you're a liar.  Out of all the different types of gamers out there, I despise the self-righteous, "the games I like are superior and special" kind the most.  And you want to pretend you acted like an adult?

"Nintendo never lost third party support due to "greed". Anyone who believes that is a fool."  I suppose you DIDN'T start out with a direct insult from the start?  Good god, I can't believe you're trying to pretend you didn't start this.  That kind of sickens me.

"So I honestly don't know what the hell you're talking about there."  No, that's not combative at all.

"In an older issue of Game Informer, Bing Gordon, a former Chief Creative Officer for Electronic Arts, remembers what it was like dealing with Nintendo during the 8-Bit/16-Bit days.

“Nintendo was operating with near monopoly power,” Gordon says. “They had like a 95 percent share of the console business, and they had earned it because they took a huge risk. If a publisher wanted to get in bed with the NES, they had to fly to Japan, state its case for a development system, and if Nintendo deemed it worthy, there was only one deal on the table. Nintendo would sell the company a dev kit for what Gordon calls “a ridiculous price,” and after a game was finished the publisher had to send it to Nintendo, which would ultimately decide whether our not it would be manufactured.”

Gordon couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“Wait, we spend all this time and we build a game but we don’t know if we can bring it to market?,” Gordon remembers asking.

Nintendo responded, ‘That’s right, and if we decide to bring it to market, we manufacture it and we’ll tell you how many we’ll build. You pay us half the cost, and then we manufacture it when we feel like it. When it’s done in Japan, you pay the second half of the cost, and we release it and you figure out how you want to ship it.”

Nintendo had the ability to block your game from coming to the market if they didn’t like your game. Especially if the game was similar to one of Nintendo’s first party games, negatively impacting Nintendo’s profits. EA had zero interest in a relationship with a company that punished their developers. A company called Sega would release a brand new 16-bit console called the Genesis (MegaDrive), and Electronic Arts saw an opportunity to bring their games to that platform. "  --  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=160229

Sounds warm and fuzzy, doesn't it?  Whatever, I know you're going to rationalize and justify that, as though they were doing it for the good of mankind.  Anything I say about what Nintendo has done, you're going to white-wash it, which makes it pointless talking with you.  What is your response to Nintendo being fined by the European Commission for anticompetitive business practices?  That they were doing it for the fans?

Yes, I am treating you just EXACTLY as you describe, and for a damn good reason.  I mock you because you insult me just because I suggested a damn gaming company isn't all sunshine and roses, something which I consider to be a LOT closer to childishness.  Have a NICE day.

Seriously, this "Nintendo doesn´t have good relations with third parties" talk is just bullshit

If that was true, we wouldn´t have so much shovelware for the Wii. Even Activision and EA made versions of their FPS for the Wii. And EVERY third party wanted and produced their games for the DS. Even Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty and Assassin Creed were on the DS.

The only thing that prevents third parties to work with Nintendo right now is that as development costs are always increasing they prefer to develop games for the devices that have the biggest install base. Right now the best option for any developer to get some profit is launching games for PS3 and Xbox360.

It´s not interesting for them in this moment of transition and uncertainty to spent even more on producing WiiU versions of their games, specially with the low sales. But we´ve seen many developers launching games for the 3DS lately. By the way, we are not seeing many games for the Vita, which is a Sony product. Interesting, huh ?

And what about all those projects Nintendo in partnerships with Monolith, Sega, Level-5, Platinum Games, Mistwalker etc etc. Aren´t they 3rd-parties also ?

It´s doesn´t have nothing to do with Nintendo policies. It´s just about money, it´s just about what can guarantee better profits for developers. That´s why Nintendo is not getting games, and nothing more.