By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - All this negativity won't stop Xbox One sales

The truth will only be known in about a year.
:(

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
DevilRising said:
@OP

Actually, it kind of will. Know why? Because there are a LOT of people who can only afford one console, who are on the fence right now about what next gen system to get this fall. A LOT of people are turned off by all that has been announced about Xbone, and that means a LOT of those folks are going to be getting a PS4 or Wii U. And some PC-centric folks will just decide to stick with PC.

There was no chance that PS4 or Xbone were going to sell a HELL of a lot better out of the gate than Wii U did, simply because of the way the economy is now. But now the Xbox is going to very possibly do even worse, simply because of the retarded direction that Microsoft is heading in. And yes, that's a fact. I'm not saying it won't sell. It will, there will still be people who are going to get it regardless (likely because they just don't understand/care about the issues most gamers have with it).

But to say that the negativity won't impact the sales AT ALL? Incredibly false.

You are extremely misguided, just like the OP mentions. You are using gamer forum logic. None of this will reflect on the general public.

The only "A LOT" of people you refer to are ones that frequent gamer forums which I assure you is in the vast minority. The mainstream media that casuals will actually see, has LOVED the Xbox One so far.

Also, would you please quit making statements based on Microsoft's UNCONFIRMED policies and Sony's UNANNOUNCED policies? We don't even have any idea what Sony will require or how they will handle used games.

Attempting to sound "smart" at my expense, in an internet forum. Right.

As some of you are so fond of pointing out in other threads, the so-called "casual" market has long since moved on to tablets and mobiles. The Kinect nor the Move ever REALLY exploded on the marketplace for those kinds of folks. The Kinect especially was known to be buggy as hell, and I'm rather certain that "casuals" lost interest. MS can promote this thing however they want, and people like you and the OP can try to spin it however they like. But the fact of the matter is, the people that are going to be running out and buying consoles this gen, are going to be ACTUAL GAMERS to a large degree.

If the "casual" market was going to eat the Xbone up the way you seem to be implying, wouldn't that same crowd have also run out in droves to buy the Wii U? What with Nintendo Land, a new 2D Mario, games like Rabbids Land, Scribblenauts, Just Dance 4, Sing Party, etc. etc. they had all the same kind of software that made them run out and buy Wii, ready to devour. But they didn't, did they. No doubt, "casuals" are and will be buying next gen consoles. But not in the raw numbers of last gen, and not in the numbers even you seem to be assuming. "Casuals" are not going to be a vast majority when it comes to people purchasing new systems. So your reasoning is outdated.

So thanks for trying to label me "misguided", but I think you might want to look in the mirror. Toodles.

nightsurge said:
SvennoJ said:

The ps4 will get the same reaction if it's going to pull the same crap.
However we should not jump too conclusions, nothing has been confirmed yet unlike with the xbox one.

Sony has a bigger incentive to make it possible to play without internet, since they sell a lot more in countries with poor internet.
So far the eye toy has been an extra, there are no plans to fully integrate it in the OS, no reason for it to required to be always on.
As far as used games, the statement of leaving it up to publishers is very worrying. However for now the rumors and suggestions point to the ps4 not requiring internet. That would exclude the draconion drm system of xbox one.

Anyway all eyes will be on Sony for this, if they pull the same crap I'll keep enjoying this gen for a couple years longer.

Nothing has been confirmed yet on Xbox One either. That was my point.

The only thing that has been confirmed on Xbox One is that you WILL be able to play used games and WILL be able to sell/trade/buy used. The stuff about requiring internet checks every 24 hours is not confirmed. Neither is the stuff about supposed "used games fees" which in reality seemed to be debunked pretty well as a huge misrepresentation by the media. What was said is that if someone loaned a game to a friend that friend would have to buy the game to play it, or use your Xbox Live account. That's entirely different from a "used game fee". That's simply saying, if you have the game on your system and want to buy it directly through the Xbox One/Microsoft, you are likely going to pay full price for it.

Even that stuff is not yet confirmed and could be changed very easily, so who knows.

The part of physical games getting tied to your account has pretty much been confirmed, locking out lending, swapping and sharing of physical games. What has been proposed so far for sell/trade/used is very unsatisfactory as it removes all competition and does require a regular internet check to see if you still own your copy.

Really it all starts with not needing the disc in the tray to play a game. All the problems start there.
They can change it by allowing you to transfer your game license yourself, although you're still stuck with regular online requirements.

It would be so much more simple to leave the rights tied to the disc, while offering digital downloads of all games for people who do not want to keep track of discs.

Hopefully all the negativity will make them reconsider turning physical games into little more then data carriers for digital ones.

Vgchartz, Reddit, 4chan, gametrailers, GAF, gamefaqs, ign forums they all hate it. Aparrently MS can do whatever the hell they want and it will still sell according to OP, reminds me of the PS3 launch.

And please don't bring the Wii to this, everyone could see that it would sell, it was revolutionary and very easy to market.

DevilRising said:
@OP

Actually, it kind of will. Know why? Because there are a LOT of people who can only afford one console, who are on the fence right now about what next gen system to get this fall. A LOT of people are turned off by all that has been announced about Xbone, and that means a LOT of those folks are going to be getting a PS4 or Wii U. And some PC-centric folks will just decide to stick with PC.

1. "a LOT of people" = internet message forums. Almost no-one. You know when the PSABR hype was like HYPE HYPE HYPE and then it bombed? That.

2. If you asked them now, yes. Because it's literally GOOD CONSOLE vs BAD CONSOLE. Of course people will say PS4 now. Because nothing's really been announced. When MS's exclusives and lower price (better be - they have weaker hardware) get announced, people won't let these issues sway them.

Around the Network

Damage control. Damage control everywhere.

Watch out this generation being a repeat of the sixth.

it wont stop the sales but it is bad exposure that may hurt the image. the xbox highlight video on youtube is at 5.5 milion hits and all negative comments towards the next box.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Of course the bad press won't stop the Xbox ONE from selling, just look at what the PS3 did.

Even if the DRM and used games isn't an issue, I still Microsoft will lag behind sony. Launch is normally dominated by the core gamer and if the sony continue to dominate microsoft where the 1st party is concerned they will lead out the gate and that will snowball just like it did for 360. I do think microsoft will be fine, whether they come first or second. I can't see the X1 selling less than 50m

I think there is firm reason, as of right now, to believe that "The One" will come in third behind Sony and Nintendo. I don't know who will wind up in "First", that is years away. But I just don't feel it's going to be MS. Which wouldn't be surprising because they never have been anyway.