By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - All this negativity won't stop Xbox One sales

JusSayian said:
osed125 said:

Maybe, but unless they have THE biggest E3 ever (and I'm talking FF Versus XIII exclusive level of big) then the fanbase will remain the same. 

New first party IPs usually don't gather any new customers, the people that play a new IP from "x" first party company are the current fanbase. So, unless the exclusive games come from extremely big franchises (FF, GTA, CoD, Mass Effect, etc) then nothing that I said above will change.

When FF 13 got announced for the 360 the only people that cared were the fanboys. The general 360 demographic probably didnt care at all, cause if they wanted FF 13 they would have bought a ps3. So the fanbase wont change if something like that happened again.

Saying new Ip's wont get new customers is just simply not true. Gears got people to buy the 360, and Halo got people to buy the Xbox.

Yep, the first Gears of War fans were already MS fans, after that the franchise expanded to a higher audience, but very few games can achieve what Gears of War did. Same applies to Uncharted, the first fans were Sony fans, but after that the series expanded.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

Yeah, and why not screw over the reseller by taking a cut of the sale of used games?

It will do fine. Vita anyone? The internet was abuzz with it. LOL.

osed125 said:
JusSayian said:
osed125 said:

Maybe, but unless they have THE biggest E3 ever (and I'm talking FF Versus XIII exclusive level of big) then the fanbase will remain the same. 

New first party IPs usually don't gather any new customers, the people that play a new IP from "x" first party company are the current fanbase. So, unless the exclusive games come from extremely big franchises (FF, GTA, CoD, Mass Effect, etc) then nothing that I said above will change.

When FF 13 got announced for the 360 the only people that cared were the fanboys. The general 360 demographic probably didnt care at all, cause if they wanted FF 13 they would have bought a ps3. So the fanbase wont change if something like that happened again.

Saying new Ip's wont get new customers is just simply not true. Gears got people to buy the 360, and Halo got people to buy the Xbox.

Yep, the first Gears of War fans were already MS fans, after that the franchise expanded to a higher audience, but very few games can achieve what Gears of War did. Same applies to Uncharted, the first fans were Sony fans, but after that the series expanded.

You cannot prove that. Gears did attract new consumers cause the first game was such a hit, Uncharted one was not a hit, but uncharted 2 was so yes you are right here but wrong with gears. But lets just ingore these two games. You said new IPs cannot gather new consumers well

Explain Halo then?

JusSayian said:
osed125 said:

You cannot prove that. Gears did attract new consumers cause the first game was such a hit, Uncharted one was not a hit, but uncharted 2 was so yes you are right here but wrong with gears. But lets just ingore these two games. You said new IPs cannot gather new consumers well

Explain Halo then?

My point is that the first fans will always be the current fanbase of the console, they are the ones that hype the game the most and the ones that get the game at launch. But no hype will make the game a success in terms of sales or fanbase (PASBR is a very good recent example).

Now, Halo is one of those games that was so critically acclaimed that Xbox owners bought the game and the fanbase started to expand, very very few games manage to do that, and in order to that the game needs to be fresh and good (and in some cases consider a masterpiece).

Word of mouth is what makes a fanbase grow. And my original point is that no word of mouth will make non-MS fans get the console just to play that game, an existence franchise might, but not a new IP.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
I personally don't have a problem the always online thing and as I never sell/trade my games anyway. I'm not the type who spends $60 on a game and then trades/sells it to places like Gamestop for peanuts just to get a couple bucks toward another $60 game.

So you're fine with paying $60 for a promise to indefinitely renew your 24h permission to play your games as long as you log on every day?
No taking it with you on holiday for a few rounds of splitscreen multiplayer, fighting games etc in the evening while everyone has the time.
Can't swap/lend/trade games with friends or family.

It will be peanuts now with this new system. No more $30-$40 trade in credit towards a new game or console.
AC3 bought it for black friday price of $49,- didn't really like it after finishing it, got $32,- back to put towards FC3 which was great. 2 games I wouldn't have spend full price on without the trade in fall back system.

Quite a few consoles are also bought by word of mouth especially in the form of: Hey if you buy one too you can borrow some of my games to get you started. Not going to happen anymore.

XBox one, as is only good for one player. No sharing your stuff.

You can't stop the douchebags from buying it.

User was warned for this post - Kantor

Negative story's and articles put the wiiu

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Agreed.
I'll never forget the backlash before the original Wii came out.
We all know how that story went: Wii dominated the casuals and took in a tremendous amount of money.
Microsoft is trying to get the casual audience as best as they can, and come E3 they will "WOW!" core gamers with great games.
Once the system is out on the market for a few months I think It's going to be a bloody war between the PS3 and XBox One. It will be as tight a race as it is now between the PS3/360, except this time Nintendo won't be a factor.

It's just that simple.

Soleron said:

[...]

As we know from last few years, GAMES and PRICE sell consoles. They are the only factors that truly matter and can lift sales. Wii, Vita, PS3, 3DS all illustrate this in different ways through their sales history. Multimedia functions never helped a console take off. We can run this argument in reverse: non-game factors never sunk a console either. RROD didn't really stop people buying 360s. Neither did ads on the home screen. It still had the games they wanted at a price they were willing to pay.

The DRM and used games issues, while bad and anti-consumer and all that, are the pet issues of a very small group.

[...]

As Rol and others pointed out, DRM and used games issues are tightly related to games and price.

I'd just like to add that I didn't know that GameStop's used games business, itself a part of the whole used games market, is thriving on a very small group of users.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!