By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - All this negativity won't stop Xbox One sales

Most of the negativity appears to come from imo the poor reveal and restrictions regarding used games, 24hr check and too much TV etc etc, these may be justified but I don’t for a second see that the Xbox One is not going to sell.

Regardless of negative vibes, only those like me are interested in all the finer spec details that they can get hold off are caring what either console has etc, again these may be justified but most of the buying public simply don’t understand or care.

Imo the view of the masses will be that it is a new console from MS years after the 360 so by default it must be better and they will be hyped simply because it is a new Xbox. They will see all the TV stuff etc as an added bonus to their game playing.

MS will advertise the console and it will generate hype and excitement, after E3 everything is going to go into full swing ready for release later this year, price and games will dictate the initial success of the Xbox, it will have games to advertise along with Kinect and TV etc etc.

All the current negative stuff about the Xbox One will not affect the buying public’s decision come release date.

Around the Network

Word of mouth goes a long way in the U.S., so the negativity and mixed messages will hurt sales a lot. Especially, considering the Xbox One won't enjoy a head start like the 360 did.

It will have direct competition when it launches and more people will choose the PS4, a gaming PC, or WiiU. The most diehard MS fan (e.g. the Sales2099 or Kowenicki type) will probably take a "wait and see" approach.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:
Word of mouth goes a long way in the U.S., so the negativity and mixed messages will hurt sales a lot. Especially, considering the Xbox One won't enjoy a head start like the 360 did.

It will have direct competition when it launches and more people will choose the PS4, a gaming PC, or WiiU. The most diehard MS fan (e.g. the Sales2099 or Kowenicki type) will probably take a "wait and see" approach.

Word of mouth does go a long way, but nothing is on sale yet and after E3 and come release date with hyped advertising there will be nothing to stop it from selling, if it has too few games and is too expensive then it will suffer, same goes for the PS4, but I do not see that that happening.

As for diehard Xbox fans there will be no wait and see, their pre-orders are down, all that gamer score and friend lists etc are not going to be abandoned, the same applies for Playstation fans, there is so much more to come yet and both consoles are appearing good enough that there is no need to jump ship atm! 

Busted said:
Well i have news for you, DRM has stopped me of buying the Xbox One.

Really? Even when nothing has been clarified on how it will actually work?

That's rather petty. I imagine most gamers that have been sharing these same sentiments are also jumping to conclusions far too early, or were never really interested in the Xbox One to begin with (aka Sony/Nintendo supporters). I'm almost embarrassed to call myself a gamer after how childish the gaming forums react overreact to unconfirmed rumors lately...

Spedfrom said:
Legend11 said:

The Wii was one of the most bashed consoles on forums and it had amazing sales that would have continued to this day if Nintendo had not dropped the ball with it. I also remember many people in the forums drooling over Vita in the months leading up to its launch and saying Sony was doing everything right and look how that turned out.

The forums represent only a small percentage of buyers and can be wildly inaccurate simply based on the fact that it doesn't even represent an accurate cross-section of the gaming public. I mean look at COD, the games in that series sell 20+ million yet it doesn't get even half the love in forums that some other games that sell 2 million do.

Also as far as many people on the forums saying they'll never buy an Xbox One, well remember the Modern Warfare 2 boycott that was on the forums a few years ago, it was funny when sales reports were coming in talking about it smashing sales records. It just goes to show you what "never" can sometimes mean in these forums.

There's more to analyse in those situations.

The Wii might have been bashed in the forums, but to the general populace it was an easy to use console with an innovative controller that represented new ways of having fun alone or with friends and family. None of its features secluded anyone from doing anything with the console. Its main focus for the casual gamer was fun in a group, that's why the Just Dance series smashed on the console. And more to the point, the console had the GAMES to support that vision, that purpose.

The Vita was and still is complimented on the forums as a great piece of hardware and while it is now getting great games, even though lots of them are indies which the casual gamer is not much aware of, it didn't have many of them in the beginning, despite an extremely good selection at launch. As you can see, it's all about the games. However, the mobile gaming trends haven't gone to the Vita's favour too. Other than that, it has no features that get in the way of your game playing lifestyle.

Now the Xbox One is intrusive as it will always be aware of what is going on visually and sonically in the room it is placed in. To me that is invasion of privacy and it creeps me out. It will also have a restricted used games policy, entirely controlled by Microsoft. You will not be able to just lend a game disc to a friend for a month, because unless you're willing to part with your account details, he won't be able to play it by himself. Can you see where this is going? Intrusive and restricting. Those are two handicaps, not qualities. Try explaining to a casual gamer that that game he wants so badly and can't afford at the moment, but whose friend has it so he'll borrow it from him, can't actually play it on his console when he gets home alone, he'll be grasping for understanding. Furthermore, the games presented so far aren't anything too surprising or unexpected. Microsoft really needs to have a good E3 showing with games galore if they want to convince people. One thing I'm certain is, the Xbox One is totally different beast from the Xbox 360. And personally, not in a good way.

Will you be upset when PS4 has very similar used games policies and the PS4 EyeToy device functions in very similar ways?

We already know the PS4 will have the same "instant on" cability which means it will be "always on". Seems only logicial that the Eyetoy would be able to respond to "Playstation On" or whatnot. It also seems highly likely that the Eyetoy will be included with every PS4 (if this hasn't been confirmed yet, I'm sure it will be by E3). So won't this Eyetoy also be watching you the entire time your PS4 is on? Sony has never made any statements towards whether the PS4 would work without the Eyetoy.

Should we all jump to conclusions and say the PS4/Sony will be stalking us and blocking used games since they have not been clear on any of it so far?!?!?!?!

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Will you be upset when PS4 has very similar used games policies and the PS4 EyeToy device functions in very similar ways?

We already know the PS4 will have the same "instant on" cability which means it will be "always on". Seems only logicial that the Eyetoy would be able to respond to "Playstation On" or whatnot. It also seems highly likely that the Eyetoy will be included with every PS4 (if this hasn't been confirmed yet, I'm sure it will be by E3). So won't this Eyetoy also be watching you the entire time your PS4 is on? Sony has never made any statements towards whether the PS4 would work without the Eyetoy.

Should we all jump to conclusions and say the PS4/Sony will be stalking us and blocking used games since they have not been clear on any of it so far?!?!?!?!

The ps4 will get the same reaction if it's going to pull the same crap.
However we should not jump too conclusions, nothing has been confirmed yet unlike with the xbox one.

Sony has a bigger incentive to make it possible to play without internet, since they sell a lot more in countries with poor internet.
So far the eye toy has been an extra, there are no plans to fully integrate it in the OS, no reason for it to required to be always on.
As far as used games, the statement of leaving it up to publishers is very worrying. However for now the rumors and suggestions point to the ps4 not requiring internet. That would exclude the draconion drm system of xbox one.

Anyway all eyes will be on Sony for this, if they pull the same crap I'll keep enjoying this gen for a couple years longer.

SvennoJ said:
nightsurge said:

The ps4 will get the same reaction if it's going to pull the same crap.
However we should not jump too conclusions, nothing has been confirmed yet unlike with the xbox one.

Sony has a bigger incentive to make it possible to play without internet, since they sell a lot more in countries with poor internet.
So far the eye toy has been an extra, there are no plans to fully integrate it in the OS, no reason for it to required to be always on.
As far as used games, the statement of leaving it up to publishers is very worrying. However for now the rumors and suggestions point to the ps4 not requiring internet. That would exclude the draconion drm system of xbox one.

Anyway all eyes will be on Sony for this, if they pull the same crap I'll keep enjoying this gen for a couple years longer.

Nothing has been confirmed yet on Xbox One either. That was my point.

The only thing that has been confirmed on Xbox One is that you WILL be able to play used games and WILL be able to sell/trade/buy used. The stuff about requiring internet checks every 24 hours is not confirmed. Neither is the stuff about supposed "used games fees" which in reality seemed to be debunked pretty well as a huge misrepresentation by the media. What was said is that if someone loaned a game to a friend that friend would have to buy the game to play it, or use your Xbox Live account. That's entirely different from a "used game fee". That's simply saying, if you have the game on your system and want to buy it directly through the Xbox One/Microsoft, you are likely going to pay full price for it.

Even that stuff is not yet confirmed and could be changed very easily, so who knows.

@OP

Actually, it kind of will. Know why? Because there are a LOT of people who can only afford one console, who are on the fence right now about what next gen system to get this fall. A LOT of people are turned off by all that has been announced about Xbone, and that means a LOT of those folks are going to be getting a PS4 or Wii U. And some PC-centric folks will just decide to stick with PC.

There was no chance that PS4 or Xbone were going to sell a HELL of a lot better out of the gate than Wii U did, simply because of the way the economy is now. But now the Xbox is going to very possibly do even worse, simply because of the retarded direction that Microsoft is heading in. And yes, that's a fact. I'm not saying it won't sell. It will, there will still be people who are going to get it regardless (likely because they just don't understand/care about the issues most gamers have with it).

But to say that the negativity won't impact the sales AT ALL? Incredibly false.

DevilRising said:
@OP

Actually, it kind of will. Know why? Because there are a LOT of people who can only afford one console, who are on the fence right now about what next gen system to get this fall. A LOT of people are turned off by all that has been announced about Xbone, and that means a LOT of those folks are going to be getting a PS4 or Wii U. And some PC-centric folks will just decide to stick with PC.

There was no chance that PS4 or Xbone were going to sell a HELL of a lot better out of the gate than Wii U did, simply because of the way the economy is now. But now the Xbox is going to very possibly do even worse, simply because of the retarded direction that Microsoft is heading in. And yes, that's a fact. I'm not saying it won't sell. It will, there will still be people who are going to get it regardless (likely because they just don't understand/care about the issues most gamers have with it).

But to say that the negativity won't impact the sales AT ALL? Incredibly false.

You are extremely misguided, just like the OP mentions. You are using gamer forum logic. None of this will reflect on the general public.

The only "A LOT" of people you refer to are ones that frequent gamer forums which I assure you is in the vast minority. The mainstream media that casuals will actually see, has LOVED the Xbox One so far.

Also, would you please quit making statements based on Microsoft's UNCONFIRMED policies and Sony's UNANNOUNCED policies? We don't even have any idea what Sony will require or how they will handle used games.

Tagging thread to revisit it in the coming months.