By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Dolla Dolla said:
ckmlb said:

I meant the elite being in the black color is a limited edition, it will be continuing but in white after the batch of black ones are through. thanks for the news links, I thought the black color was limited :D

Those are FF XIII spin offs not the actual game being made for PS3 that is not exclusive, Lair is second party not 3rd party I don't think it's gonna go multiplatform at all and 3rd parties going multiplatform is gonna go both ways between 360 and PS3.

Oh, I don't know if the black color is limited. I would guess not, because they are offering wireless controllers and other accessories in black, too :)

I think it's big that Square is carrying over the actual numbers to other systems, the first big spin off being FFXII for the DS. It wasn't like that before. FFXIII universe will likely traverse all platforms (Wii, DS, PSP, PS3,T and 360, PS2 maybe, too!).

I know Lair won't go cross-platform, neither with God of War. I was saying 3rd parties (Konami MGS4) would possibly jump cross-platform, and I think MGS4 would be a major loss if it cross-platformed.

And, I think you are right, HappySquirrel, about this gen vs the last.

Does anyone have a figure of how many Xbox's were sold in it's first year as opposed to the 360? Did the 360 outsell it? And what about Gamecube's start? I hear it is similar to the PS3s WW.

The 360 is actually selling at a slower rate than the original Xbox, and that does not bode well for Microsoft...

MGS 4 is PS3 exclusive, right out of Kojima's mouth as stated previously. 

The 360 is never gonna reach the PS3 in Japan, no matter how much less PS3 sells compared to the Wii over there, I don't see too many Japanese developers embracing the 360, but it's definitely getting a lot more support than the xbox did from Japanese companies.

Companies like Capcom are looking at using the 360 as a way to make their games that are focused on the west instead of Japan and it's possible that Square makes an FF XIII spin off on the 360 because it would sell.

So Japanese games targetted at Japan will not often come out on the 360, very rarely is that gonna happen (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey) 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Munkeh said:
I think that Sony know that it has to do something, and pretty soon. With Motorstorm meant to be one of Sony's best games this year, and such poor March NPD figures, they might have to rush some of their games, as well as a price drop. April figures will be even worse, as will june, although from July I think that its going to turn around and the 360 will be massacred. For the price drop, I could see it happening very soon. As the emotion engine has now been removed, the price can decrease a bit, as well as the fact that the blu-ray laser diode has decreased in price. As the 80GB is clearly near (Kotaku had some leaked pictures of the case) i think that that will take the 60GB's place at $600 and the 60GB will be at $650. The reason I think that the 360 will be massacred in the second half of the year is because by then PSN will be as good as XBL and free, so the 360's best feature is gone. People say that Halo 3 will be the best game, but I can see Killzone being better, as Sony has been working on it for ages. As well as this, Sony has great games in all areas, which are nearly always the best in thet genre.

Killzone better than Halo? I highly doubt that also almost impossible for it to be better selling. I don't care how long they worked on the game and all, Halo is already considered the best console FPS ever and they just have to make improvements on it, while Killzone has to actually be good in the first place.

That game is literally the least appealing Sony game coming out this year to me. Also, we shouldn't judge games just based on sales, I mean great games don't sell sometimes (Okami, amazing game) and Motorstorm is such a situation.

I think there will be a price cut before the holiday season and I do think the 80 GB is gonna take the place of the 60 as you said, there is no way in hell that it's gonna be more expensive than 600$ that is just stupid.

I meant $550. But anyway, if Halo is so good, why did the original Xbox fail compared to the PS2?

add me

you guys can list all the games you want, the biggest factor is price. all last gen system is below $300 you cant directly map the sale pattern of last gen from the current system because we are dealing with a different price level here. There is a limit people will paid for a console, no matter how many AAA or killer app you throw at them, the 400 or 600 price tag come in mind first! I can bet you if sony or ms dont drop price when halo, MSG , FFXIII release, dont expect a huge jump in hardware sales, I'm sure both system have pretty much satisfy the demand at current price point. When hardware sale is starting to decline even with a good quality game released every month(refer to xbox360) its safe to assume they pretty much satisfy the demand at $400 price level.

I agree with what people have said about the price of the console. As a PS3 owner, I know that if you want to use all the features (BD, games, etc.), it is definitely the best value for the money console to buy. However, most people see it as a game system only and see $600 = lots of money no matter how you try to spin it. As for the Japanese, PHYSICAL SIZE of the console is a VERY LARGE FACTOR. Many of the Japanese I talk to are much more concerned about the size of the console than the price, because of the lack of room in their living spaces. Also, smaller is cooler. The Wii very well satisfies this need. Hopefully, Sony will make a smaller console when they adopt the 65 nm process in their chips. They very well could because alot of the size is the very large heatsink. Overall, the hate for the console is more exaggerated on the Internet than it is in real life. Most general people I talk to want a Wii for right now, but will be interested in a PS3 when the price and game situation gets better and when they get an HDTV. I'm sure the PS3 will be a better price when FFXIII comes out. It will probably be Late 2008 for Japan, Mid 2009 for US, and for Europe - you all know how that goes.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Pk9394 said:
you guys can list all the games you want, the biggest factor is price. all last gen system is below $300 you cant directly map the sale pattern of last gen from the current system because we are dealing with a different price level here. There is a limit people will paid for a console, no matter how many AAA or killer app you throw at them, the 400 or 600 price tag come in mind first! I can bet you if sony or ms dont drop price when halo, MSG , FFXIII release, dont expect a huge jump in hardware sales, I'm sure both system have pretty much satisfy the demand at current price point. When hardware sale is starting to decline even with a good quality game released every month(refer to xbox360) its safe to assume they pretty much satisfy the demand at $400 price level.

Then why did the Gamecube do so poorly?  Your "price only" argument doesn't hold water.  While it is a very large factor, the Gamecube's poor showing disproves your theory.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
stof said:

What interests me most is how those two will do in Japan. Obviously, the 360 will never really pick up that much momentum. But if the PS3 keeps floundering over there, there is still a chance that more PS support will go the Xbox way.

Things are looking pretty rough for the PS3 in Japan.  Their current sales stink, the Wii is clearly a run away success, and asside from Final Fantasy, there isn't too much too look forward to in Japan. The system has lost DMC exclusivity and the PS2's highest game Dragon Quest has moved to the DS.

I can't help but wondering if the lack of PS3 support in Japan will shift to the Xbox. Will people finally think that Blue Dragon, TrustyBell, Eternal Sonata and some other Japan focused games are worth the 360 Jump? Will Japanese Dev's finally give the console a decent shot when they realize the PS3 won't deliver the sales they need? Somebody has to pick up the Wii's table scraps.

I realize that traditionally, Japan has been the smallest of the three markets, But where the Japanese market goes, so goes the Japanese software. And that sure has repercussions everywhere else.

You do know that Eternal Sonata and Trusty Bell are the same game ....... and the fact the it is multiplatform (360/PS3).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

akuma587 said:
Pk9394 said:

Then why did the Gamecube do so poorly?  Your "price only" argument doesn't hold water.  While it is a very large factor, the Gamecube's poor showing disproves your theory.

different price different war different scenario, what have a bigger impact??? $50 difference?? or $150-350 difference??? plus $400-$600 is on a high end user target, and we all know how small high end user percentage compare to casual market.

PS2 have a year head start and that lead completely convinced all 3rd party to focus mainly on ps2.

Now the playing field is different, Sony dont have a head start and they had a huge price difference from competitor. 

outlawauron said:
stof said:

What interests me most is how those two will do in Japan. Obviously, the 360 will never really pick up that much momentum. But if the PS3 keeps floundering over there, there is still a chance that more PS support will go the Xbox way.

Things are looking pretty rough for the PS3 in Japan. Their current sales stink, the Wii is clearly a run away success, and asside from Final Fantasy, there isn't too much too look forward to in Japan. The system has lost DMC exclusivity and the PS2's highest game Dragon Quest has moved to the DS.

I can't help but wondering if the lack of PS3 support in Japan will shift to the Xbox. Will people finally think that Blue Dragon, TrustyBell, Eternal Sonata and some other Japan focused games are worth the 360 Jump? Will Japanese Dev's finally give the console a decent shot when they realize the PS3 won't deliver the sales they need? Somebody has to pick up the Wii's table scraps.

I realize that traditionally, Japan has been the smallest of the three markets, But where the Japanese market goes, so goes the Japanese software. And that sure has repercussions everywhere else.

You do know that Eternal Sonata and Trusty Bell are the same game ....... and the fact the it is multiplatform (360/PS3).

Ok, I meant the other game, the one being made by the Blue Dragon team I believe. And I know Eternal Sonata is multiplat, like DMC and Resident Evil. But the more big Japan games that go multiplat, the more people might consider getting the 360, which is a fair bit cheaper. I don't really expect the 360 to ever take off in Japan. But it might lose it's stigma if the PS3 doesn't get back into the game.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

most forums "ps3 vs xbox360" have endless topics about these consoles. i only will say, how will this end. =)) ps3 _today_ don`t have many good games - it`s a player. xbox360 have games, but _today_ - it`s a cheap chinese trash.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I've seen a lot of people say "Once price is down, lots of people will buy it" and others say "Once the big games come out, people will buy it".

Both of these statements are only true when spliced together. In Japan, the PS3 is much cheaper than it is in Europe, and a much better deal than the price in the NA. But, in Japan, it didn't change sales, because the game offering is miniscule. I believe once they have good games AND a healthy price drop (AT LEAST 100, preferably 150-200 though) then it will start to pick up. The PS3 has never outsold the 360 in NA, just like the 360 has never outsold the PS3 in Japan (which could change briefly when the Trusty Bell 360 bundle comes out).

And, Stof, I believe the game you were thinking of was Lost Odyssey, no?

More and more I think of this, the more I think Gamecube vs Xbox. But who will be the Xbox and who will be the Gamecube this time?