By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I think the console war will be more or less even this time around, with the PS3 garnering somewhat more of a market than the 360 because of Japan's hatred for American consoles and Europe's slight preference for Sony products. The Wii will probably remain ahead of both of them, but things could change. IGN announced a couple of PS3 exclusives today too, a DOA installment from Team Ninja, a new Disgaea for PS3, and possibly Kingdom Hearts, but that one is more unpredictable. Sony will pick up the ball come Fall and Winter, so I think things will be much closer in terms of sales.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Long tern, PS3 will due to better world wide support. Short term 360 will do much better unless something like Lair or Heavenly become a huge hit.

akuma587 said:
I think the console war will be more or less even this time around, with the PS3 garnering somewhat more of a market than the 360 because of Japan's hatred for American consoles and Europe's slight preference for Sony products. The Wii will probably remain ahead of both of them, but things could change. IGN announced a couple of PS3 exclusives today too, a DOA installment from Team Ninja, a new Disgaea for PS3, and possibly Kingdom Hearts, but that one is more unpredictable. Sony will pick up the ball come Fall and Winter, so I think things will be much closer in terms of sales.

These are my thoughts, too.

Wii - Winner

PS3 - 2nd

360 - Close 3rd

Is there anyway for Microsoft to stop the PS3 from passing it? Do you think they need better support in Japan?

It is my opinion that, if Sony had launched the PS3 without Blu-ray, they very well may have launched sooner (alongside the 360), and cheaper (same price as 360), and probably would've won a 3rd console war. I think Blu-ray has hampered their chances of winning this time around with the delays and price hike.

I said the black elite is limited, Microsoft said so, the elite is not limited in general though. New DOA exclusive to PS3? sounds great.

Can you link the bit of news about DOA please. Thanks.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

History has shown that a head start with decent sales normally is enough to beat the competition, especially when the competition itself starts decent aswell. This is a clear hint that the x360 will sell more than the ps3 at the end.

but there is one issue for microsoft: it seems as if they are only able to beat the ps3 in one market, the american. Japan was lost for them right from the start and as it seems they are doing poorly in europe (except GB) aswell. This would mean in my eyes that the ps3 would finally be able to sell more than the x360. but there is another variable in this calculation, called wii. because of the wii, sony will not be able to profit from better japanese sales because japanese third parties will rather be developping for wii instead of ps3 and the gap in sales between ps3 and x360 will be far closer in japan than the one in the u.s. Finally, the x360 sales in europe will probably increase because of a better third party support compared to ps3 (american third parties mainly on x360, japanese third parties mainly on wii, nothing important left for ps3) and it finally wins.

This is how I look at it. It largely depends on the wii's performance. If the wii wins with more than 50 % marketshare and if the market is not divided in two groups (gamers and non-gamers, i don't think this will happen) then it is the x360 which becomes second.

BTW, i don't see a way for the x360 to become first. Only the ps3 is able to beat the wii because of demographic and geographic userbase.

This are the scenarios i could imagine:

1. wii, 2. x360, 3. ps3 (very probable at the moment)

1. ps3, 2. x360, 3. wii (possible if the wii loses momentum)

1. ps3, 2. wii, 3. x360 (not very probable, both wii and x360 would have to lose momentum

1. wii , 2. ps3, 3. x360 (only possible with a small gap between wii and ps3 or the gaming market massively split in two groups)

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network
nintendo_fanboy said:

History has shown that a head start with decent sales normally is enough to beat the competition, especially when the competition itself starts decent aswell. This is a clear hint that the x360 will sell more than the ps3 at the end.

but there is one issue for microsoft: it seems as if they are only able to beat the ps3 in one market, the american. Japan was lost for them right from the start and as it seems they are doing poorly in europe (except GB) aswell. This would mean in my eyes that the ps3 would finally be able to sell more than the x360. but there is another variable in this calculation, called wii. because of the wii, sony will not be able to profit from better japanese sales because japanese third parties will rather be developping for wii instead of ps3 and the gap in sales between ps3 and x360 will be far closer in japan than the one in the u.s. Finally, the x360 sales in europe will probably increase because of a better third party support compared to ps3 (american third parties mainly on x360, japanese third parties mainly on wii, nothing important left for ps3) and it finally wins.

This is how I look at it. It largely depends on the wii's performance. If the wii wins with more than 50 % marketshare and if the market is not divided in two groups (gamers and non-gamers, i don't think this will happen) then it is the x360 which becomes second.

BTW, i don't see a way for the x360 to become first. Only the ps3 is able to beat the wii because of demographic and geographic userbase.

This are the scenarios i could imagine:

1. wii, 2. x360, 3. ps3 (very probable at the moment)

1. ps3, 2. x360, 3. wii (possible if the wii loses momentum)

1. ps3, 2. wii, 3. x360 (not very probable, both wii and x360 would have to lose momentum

Who says the 360 isn't losing momentum? And to say that Japanese publishers are going to completely abandon teh PS3 is total exaggeration: MGS 4 and FF XIII are coming to PS3...

The Wii, just like every other product in history will lose this momentum eventually and the second console a Japanese gamer will pick up will be the PS3 not the 360. When they wanna play FF XIII, they will buy a PS3. 

ckmlb said:

I said the black elite is limited, Microsoft said so, the elite is not limited in general though. New DOA exclusive to PS3? sounds great.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. It was speculated that the Elite 360 would only be a limited edition, but it was simply a rumor. There are several sources saying the Elite 360 is a permanent SKU.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/784/784238p1.htm
"The Elite is not a limited edition console. Microsoft now has three permanent SKUs."

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200704/N07.0426.1857.06338.htm
"Despite rumors to the contrary, we do know that this black color will not be a limited edition."

And here is a link for the possible DOA for PS3:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159118

In my opinion, the only way the PS3 will end up number 1 is if the Wii severely drops off. And it has to drop off soon. The kind of momentum it is building right now is unprecendented, much in the vein of the PS2. After picking up fast enough, it won't stop, simply because there will be a development shift to support the most popular console.

FFXIII is being over-developed and jumping onto other consoles: http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html

And, the Lair developers have said it is much easier to develop from the ground up on the PS3 and then port to the 360, not the other way around. So, if games suffer due to the PS3 install base, it won't be uncommon to see those third party developers move it to the 360 to recoup costs.

I suspect that when you compare the XBox 360 and PS3, the XBox 360 is going to end up selling far better in North America than the PS3 and the competition in Europe will be reasonably close; the PS3 will sell far better in Japan and they will end up being very similar in worldwide sales in 2011. I anticipate that the competition between these two systems will be very similar to the Gamecube vs. the XBox in the previous generation, and the overall result will be similar (both systems will end up selling 25 to 35 Million systems).

Dolla Dolla said:
ckmlb said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. It was speculated that the Elite 360 would only be a limited edition, but it was simply a rumor. There are several sources saying the Elite 360 is a permanent SKU.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/784/784238p1.htm
"The Elite is not a limited edition console. Microsoft now has three permanent SKUs."

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200704/N07.0426.1857.06338.htm
"Despite rumors to the contrary, we do know that this black color will not be a limited edition."

And here is a link for the possible DOA for PS3:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159118

In my opinion, the only way the PS3 will end up number 1 is if the Wii severely drops off. And it has to drop off soon. The kind of momentum it is building right now is unprecendented, much in the vein of the PS2. After picking up fast enough, it won't stop, simply because there will be a development shift to support the most popular console.

FFXIII is being over-developed and jumping onto other consoles: http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html

And, the Lair developers have said it is much easier to develop from the ground up on the PS3 and then port to the 360, not the other way around. So, if games suffer due to the PS3 install base, it won't be uncommon to see those third party developers move it to the 360 to recoup costs.

I meant the elite being in the black color is a limited edition, it will be continuing but in white after the batch of black ones are through. thanks for the news links, I thought the black color was limited :D

Those are FF XIII spin offs not the actual game being made for PS3 that is not exclusive, Lair is second party not 3rd party I don't think it's gonna go multiplatform at all and 3rd parties going multiplatform is gonna go both ways between 360 and PS3.