By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA upset with Nintendo for not blocking used games? Possible pressure from EA for Sony to follow?

Sony and Nintendo should work together to take EA down. :p

Around the Network
leo-j said:

Maybe EA just doesn't want to force tablet features to their ip(plus the fact WII u is barely on pace with vita sales)

Nintendo's TRC doesn't force tablet use.   You can use the Wii-remote, Classic Controller Pro or Gamepad in any manner you like.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

superchunk said:
the2real4mafol said:
EA are one company, you shouldn't bow to that little pressure. Sony better not betray us Playstation fans and follow the Xbox

Sony already indirectly confirmed this.... back in March. See thread for sources.

I don't think they did. 

~http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

superchunk said:
Munkeh111 said:

I am just assuming it follows what happens for current downloadable content on both consoles. You can download it to multiple consoles (but a limited number) on your account and anyone can play it.

I think they are just copying Steam. You buy a game and get a code with it, which unlocks a copy which you can download to your console (or others) and then can install from the disc and leave it on the side forever. From that perspective, you can see why they want to block used games. 

Yep totally agree.

I sincerely hope that Nintendo doesn't let something like this be the reason they lose out on 3rd party support. In the end, a used game is still available at a likely discounted rate.

But it would mean Nintendo would have to hurry up with the capability of logging into another person's WiiU with your NNID so you can share games with each other easily. Even it its only a limited number of hardware.

I must confess, I don't know much about Nintendo's online systems, but I do feel they have to give into EA on this one. I just can't see a way of not suffering without sports games or any of EA's other games

I guess the only thing to do is to leave it to the publishers, so you can at least shift the blame to them

superchunk said:

Nintendo likely agreed with this initially and then backed out at some point in 2012. Then EA removed all support from Nintendo, purposely gimped their first few games to get what they needed to back out of contractual agreements for various titles.

Let's not ascribe malice to EA when their usual incompetence is a much more compelling theory.

Around the Network

And here we thought the dropping of online passes was a magnanimous goodwill gesture.

Even i thought that...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

the2real4mafol said:
superchunk said:
the2real4mafol said:
EA are one company, you shouldn't bow to that little pressure. Sony better not betray us Playstation fans and follow the Xbox

Sony already indirectly confirmed this.... back in March. See thread for sources.

I don't think they did. 

~http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

Being able to play a used game is not in question here. Its if there is an additional fee associated with it. Also, is up to the publishers is Sony's offical stance on the matter.

Or more directly... http://www.screwattack.com/news/sony-hints-ps4-does-contain-feature-block-used-games-its-publishers-use-it

I figured that EA was going to do this. When Sony said that it was up to the publisher to block used games I knew EA would jump on it, and I suspected the Nextbox would implement the same feature. From there I concluded that the reason why the Wii U was getting snubbed by EA was because Nintendo would not allow EA to block used games. Of course back then I did not have any solid evidence to back up my claim so I kept it to myself.

superchunk said:
the2real4mafol said:
superchunk said:
the2real4mafol said:

I don't think they did. 

Being able to play a used game is not in question here. Its if there is an additional fee associated with it. Also, is up to the publishers is Sony's offical stance on the matter.

Or more directly... http://www.screwattack.com/news/sony-hints-ps4-does-contain-feature-block-used-games-its-publishers-use-it

Don't they make enough money? No other industry is so against the second hand market like this

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:

Don't they make enough money?

No.