By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm getting the feeling some people don't like all the Fox clones in Brawl

You mean like this one?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m_eb7FKPzpA

The same movements IMO, only slightly change on size, speed or direction...  We should do a Poll.. 

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Around the Network

I love the image of R.O.B.

elgefe02 said:

You mean like this one?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m_eb7FKPzpA

The same movements IMO, only slightly change on size, speed or direction... We should do a Poll..

Your opinion is meaningless.  It has nothing to do with opinion.  The fact is that none of his moves are the same.  There is no matter of opinion here.  This is a matter of fact.  The fact is that his A moves are entirely unique as are his smashes, his shield, his gun, and his Up B rocket.  I compared him individually right next to a video of Fox, and he's movements are completely unique.   I don't really care what you believe, but stop spreading false information to poeple who don't know better. 

Nazatips: I agree. What I meant was that many of these 'clone' characters are quite similar to each other in their own games - so it at least makes some sense if they share some moves in Brawl. Of course, there is no excuse for Ganondorf or the reused Final Smashes, but that’s a small price to pay for the rest of the game. I realized long ago that Brawl wasn’t going to be everything I wanted it to be (except Subspace which went way past my expectations) and I’m fine with that – I suggest other people do the same.

I don't dislike the clones but I don't necessarily think they were the best choice for the developers' time and effort.

Around the Network

I think the clones are fine. I like how there are many versions of the same thing to suit the player. For ex., I like Falco because of his decent spped with great power - a great mix

@Words of Wisdom 

Well, if making a unique character takes one month, and making 6 partial clones take the same time, which would you prefer?

Characters with unique movesets:

Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Sheik
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Peach
Ice Climbers
Ness
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Ike
Wario
Pit
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Pikmin & Olimar
Sonic
Snake
Lucario
R.O.B.

Total: 33 Different Movesets/Animations they had to develop.
[14 New, 19 Re-vamped]

Clones/Partial Clones

Luigi
Ganondorf
Falco
Toon Link
Lucas
Wolf

Total: 6 characters with similar movesets/animations
[2 New, 4 Re-vamped]

=============================
Compare that to Melee
=============================

Characters with unique movesets:

Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Samus
Zelda
Sheik
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Peach
Ice Climbers
Ness
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Mewto

Total: 19 Different Movesets/Animations they had to develop.

Clones/Partial Clones

Luigi
Ganondorf
Falco
Young Link
Roy
Dr. Mario
Pichu

Total: 7 characters with similar movesets/animations

There were more clones in Melee than there are in Brawl, and Brawl has a larger number of unique characters. Hands-down, Brawl wins. The longer development time did result in a big increase in characters, not to mention unique colored Landmast....er.. I mean... Final Smashes for each character.

Naz, this is going to sound really nit-picky, but you know that Lucas' and Ness' final smashes are a little bit different right? While Lucas' stars come straight down, Ness' shoot at an outward angle a little bit. It's nothing major of course, but it's slight variation. The angle they shoot out at is so small it's hardly worth metnioning, but I just wanted to mention it in case you didn't know.

Does anyone know how Falco differs from Fox? I heard he can throw his reflector or something. Is that true? Does he have any other differences from Fox?

^That is what I have seen.

Off Topic: Listening to the IGN Podcast, they seem to not like the SSE mode.
Key words: Generic, Uninspired Gameplay.

Impactful quote: "The worst of both worlds"-[Fighting and Platforming]

DonWii, if you go check out the Dojo, Sakurai updated it with Ness' entire profile and moves last night. You can see all the differences between him and Lucas.

After seeing Ness' moves on the Dojo, I'm content with the setup.

Yeah IGN doesn't seem to like the SSE at all, which I find funny considering everyone else who is loving it. Oh well, I tend to disagree with them a lot. I'll just have to see for myself when the game comes out.