By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Wish Microsoft Never Entered The Gaming Business (From a Nintendo POV)

S.T.A.G.E. said:

MS has America in a vice grip because of marketing not because of substance. Kinect only had a hanful of games to back it up from 2010 to 2012. America is not loyal to anyone including Microsoft, so theres nothing to fear of a little bit of competition. Media services wont sway Sony steam rolling them. They need to support the Kinect and the 360 or they are finished. SImple.

I agree that America is not loyal to anyone, but MS has America because they have the games America wants. From first to third parties they have games that cover all genres. They are doing fine and will continue to. There are plenty of games from retail to LIVE Arcade that many people enjoy. 

Around the Network
Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The way MS harmed the industry even though they've helped with online is by empowering asshole companies like EA and Activision to nickel and dime customers. Any decision EA and Activision seems to make they are more than happy with even though the consumers hate it. Bobby Kotick loves the thought of Xbox Live and capitalized on getting his share out of that. DLC all day. American corporate mentality.

I actually enjoy DLC, it can extend games that you enjoy with new content without waiting a few years for a sequel. It is there as an option, no one is forcing you to buy the DLC.

Sony stated that people would get two jobs just to be able to buy a PS3. I'm sure that had everything to do with just American corporate mentality. Companies are here to make money. If MS was not here to offer another option to consumers, it would not be a good thing.

When I heard Kaz say what he did I said "go **** yourself". They've more than compensated for their actions (and continue to today) over the years. Microsoft won me over then left me high and dry. DLC is like dangling a carrot in someones face. In the older days people got what they got and everything that was on the disc belonged to them. Most DLC are unfinished products that demand too high a price and end up making hundreds for publishers if they make a series. Seldom have there been great DLC add-ons to other games and when you hear them you know their names. The only DLC thats worth it to me are indy games because most of those are honest games from smaller companies with the passion to make it big inthe industry. 

Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

MS has America in a vice grip because of marketing not because of substance. Kinect only had a hanful of games to back it up from 2010 to 2012. America is not loyal to anyone including Microsoft, so theres nothing to fear of a little bit of competition. Media services wont sway Sony steam rolling them. They need to support the Kinect and the 360 or they are finished. SImple.

I agree that America is not loyal to anyone, but MS has America because they have the games America wants. From first to third parties they have games that cover all genres. They are doing fine and will continue to. There are plenty of games from retail to LIVE Arcade that many people enjoy. 

America isn't raving over Xbox Live Arcade, gamers are. They were raving over Kinect (just like they did the Wii) because it was it was "new tech" but of course it wasn't. The Eyetoy resurfaced the motion control effort but Sony really just creates things and doesnt market them (they need to stop that mentality). Its like that really talented kid in art school who makes so many things he does have the time to let people see it so he just gives it away. Microsoft invested a ton of money into internal studios and failed hard during the first Xbox, they came back and said we'll give less market the sellable product and make more money. Sonys first party became stronger because they got into the practice of making more games, but they are naturally better at making games than Microsoft in-house. They will definitely need to make some changes for next gen.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

My Windows Media is also called Xbox. I don't expect very much outside of a tablet with the same OS. They are probably following apples new Ipad Mini. Check this out:

http://www.emirates247.com/business/technology/microsoft-mini-tablet-to-take-on-apple-google-2013-04-12-1.502320

As I said, Microsoft doesn't really innovate, they look at what the competition does and tries to beat them with it. Their only real contribution was Xbox Live which set a trend. The Xbox is just a replacement name for Zune on PC's and tablets since they dropped that brand. If you dominate MS in sales they leave, which is exactly what they did with the IPod market. They don't have to run out of money to break.

There were tablets running windows way before Ipad or Android tablets were released. They discontinued Zune because they saw other opportunties that would be better suited for them. No question Ipods dominate the market, but if MS really saw something there they would have continued to pursue the market. They remained in the console market dominated by Sony, Windows Phones are still here even though Android and iOS dominate the market, and the release of the Surface tablets where Google and Apple are the dominate players. Let's not forget the search engine market that is dominated by google.

Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

My Windows Media is also called Xbox. I don't expect very much outside of a tablet with the same OS. They are probably following apples new Ipad Mini. Check this out:

http://www.emirates247.com/business/technology/microsoft-mini-tablet-to-take-on-apple-google-2013-04-12-1.502320

As I said, Microsoft doesn't really innovate, they look at what the competition does and tries to beat them with it. Their only real contribution was Xbox Live which set a trend. The Xbox is just a replacement name for Zune on PC's and tablets since they dropped that brand. If you dominate MS in sales they leave, which is exactly what they did with the IPod market. They don't have to run out of money to break.

There were tablets running windows way before Ipad or Android tablets were released. They discontinued Zune because they saw other opportunties that would be better suited for them. No question Ipods dominate the market, but if MS really saw something there they would have continued to pursue the market. They remained in the console market dominated by Sony, Windows Phones are still here even though Android and iOS dominate the market, and the release of the Surface tablets where Google and Apple are the dominate players. Let's not forget the search engine market that is dominated by google.

Microsoft leaves any place they cannot dominate.The name Apple is a threat to everything they stand for and Sonys existence with a multimedia console threatened them is more ways than one, which is why they joined in the first place. They like to dominate markets, but luckily they are becoming so unfocused they are diluting their efforts. Its pissing off shareholders. :)

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The way MS harmed the industry even though they've helped with online is by empowering asshole companies like EA and Activision to nickel and dime customers. Any decision EA and Activision seems to make they are more than happy with even though the consumers hate it. Bobby Kotick loves the thought of Xbox Live and capitalized on getting his share out of that. DLC all day. American corporate mentality.

I actually enjoy DLC, it can extend games that you enjoy with new content without waiting a few years for a sequel. It is there as an option, no one is forcing you to buy the DLC.

Sony stated that people would get two jobs just to be able to buy a PS3. I'm sure that had everything to do with just American corporate mentality. Companies are here to make money. If MS was not here to offer another option to consumers, it would not be a good thing.

When I heard Kaz say what he did I said "go **** yourself". They've more than compensated for their actions (and continue to today) over the years. Microsoft won me over then left me high and dry. DLC is like dangling a carrot in someones face. In the older days people got what they got and everything that was on the disc belonged to them. Most DLC are unfinished products that demand too high a price and end up making hundreds for publishers if they make a series. Seldom have there been great DLC add-ons to other games and when you hear them you know their names. The only DLC thats worth it to me are indy games because most of those are honest games from smaller companies with the passion to make it big inthe industry. 

Well good for you (not being sarcastic), but if MS wasn't in the console market; there would be little compeition for Sony and they could do whatever they wanted. Doesn't change that they didn't care what they were charging you, they expected people to fall in line and purchase the PS3 for what they deemed would be worth it to them. That sounds a lot like arrogance... is that part of the American corporate mentality?

DLC falls on the publishers. Capcom and Namco making you pay for DLC that is already on disk. Two companies that recieved a lot of flack for doing it. Japanese companies, I believe.  I do not pay for this stuff; if you don't like it, then don't buy it. Let your money speak for you.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

America isn't raving over Xbox Live Arcade, gamers are. They were raving over Kinect (just like they did the Wii) because it was it was "new tech" but of course it wasn't. The Eyetoy resurfaced the motion control effort but Sony really just creates things and doesnt market them (they need to stop that mentality). Its like that really talented kid in art school who makes so many things he does have the time to let people see it so he just gives it away. Microsoft invested a ton of money into internal studios and failed hard during the first Xbox, they came back and said we'll give less market the sellable product and make more money. Sonys first party became stronger because they got into the practice of making more games, but they are naturally better at making games than Microsoft in-house. They will definitely need to make some changes for next gen.

I'm not seeing the point here. Gamers are raving over Xbox LIVE arcade games is a good thing, right? Gamers are people who support the Xbox and what MS has the Xbox for. That is a good thing.

There is plenty of marketing for Sony products, there is no lack of marketing on Sonys end. They may not spend as much on marketing, but they do plenty of it.

Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Well good for you (not being sarcastic), but if MS wasn't in the console market; there would be little compeition for Sony and they could do whatever they wanted. Doesn't change that they didn't care what they were charging you, they expected people to fall in line and purchase the PS3 for what they deemed would be worth it to them. That sounds a lot like arrogance... is that part of the American corporate mentality?

DLC falls on the publishers. Capcom and Namco making you pay for DLC that is already on disk. Two companies that recieved a lot of flack for doing it. Japanese companies, I believe.  I do not pay for this stuff; if you don't like it, then don't buy it. Let your money speak for you.

I am glad Microsoft came in a way because it made Sony a standout publisher and developer. Sony had the nicest looking third party on consoles and thats about it. Sony is at an advantage now and their consoles are basically PC's now, so I hope Microsoft thinks about exclusive content because now its basically two similar consoles going head to head.

As for Capcom...Capcom has always been a company that copied western methodology for a while. They deserve to get attacked for their abusive use of DLC and then after all of that delivering upgraded games with no online compatibility to the earlier version of the same game with all the DLC characters in it.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft leaves any place they cannot dominate.The name Apple is a threat to everything they stand for and Sonys existence with a multimedia console threatened them is more ways than one, which is why they joined in the first place. They like to dominate markets, but luckily they are becoming so unfocused they are diluting their efforts. Its pissing off shareholders. :)

They remained in the console market when they were not dominating, and they are in the smartphone market, tablet market, and search engine market. Every company wants to dominate whatever market they are in. They will usually make the most profit if they do. MS is focused, and they have a plan on what they are trying to accomplish. They have not diluted their efforts as they are trying to accomplish one goal.

Some shareholders may be pissed off, but the majority are not. MS continue to increase their profits and revenues yearly. They easily beat estimates last quarter and positive news on the smartphone front shows that they continue to move in the right direction. Stock prices are reflecting this.

Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They remained in the console market when they were not dominating, and they are in the smartphone market, tablet market, and search engine market. Every company wants to dominate whatever market they are in. They will usually make the most profit if they do. MS is focused, and they have a plan on what they are trying to accomplish. They have not diluted their efforts as they are trying to accomplish one goal.

Some shareholders may be pissed off, but the majority are not. MS continue to increase their profits and revenues yearly. They easily beat estimates last quarter and positive news on the smartphone front shows that they continue to move in the right direction. Stock prices are reflecting this.

After being a loyal Zune consumer and just being dropped, yeah...Microsoft has no heart. All the money and zero heart. If Sony would've beat Microsoft twice they would've got the picture and yes the shareholders would've been happier. Microsoft doesn't listen to most of their shareholders though  so tough for them. Now that Kinect, Xbox Live have taken off Microsoft sees blood so yeah. Sony would have to beat them squarely for a couple gens before they leave now. I will make a bet from this day that is the case.