By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Wish Microsoft Never Entered The Gaming Business (From a Nintendo POV)

walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:
You liked the Gamecube right, so then why does it matter how much it sells? As long as it does decently enough for Nintendo to make a new system, then lifes good. Also, I see nothing wrong with Nintendo expanding the market with new types of games/ways to play them while still providing the same gameplay experiences we know n love. Besides, for all we know the Wii would have happened regardless of the Xbox.

This isn't really the case though. The Wii really wasn't the successor to the GameCube/N64/SNES at all, it was Nintendo moving in a direction of aiming themselves to non-gamers because they couldn't sustain their console business on only 23 million users that the GameCube sold unfortuantely.

In a lot of ways, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when MS entered the game business. I think Nintendo also holds the feeling that they cannot compete with MS' huge money warchest and have to be different now, whereas they never used to operate that way before.

And again, no knock on MS, they have done a great job in the game business, I do like that they have taken Sony down a couple of pegs for sure (because it was needed). I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the traditional Nintendo, which is what I think indirectly has actually occured.

No, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when Sony entered the gaming business.

The person to blame here is Ken Kutaragi, the father of the Playstation, he wanted to make a gaming console.

Sony stole final fantasy away from nintendo and that is when nintendo lost there edge, nintendo always had the rpgs.

N64 was awesome to me but that was the generation Nintendo fell. Super Nintendo was the last time nintendo was the leader of the videogame market.

Nintendo was the leader from 1985 - 1995, Sega was successful as well but nintendo was the clear leader. I like genesis better, go sega.

Sony in my eyes also had 10 years, from 1995 - 2005, 2005 was the year Xbox 360 was released.

And I believe Microsoft will have 10 years as well the gaming, even Microsoft can't defeat the gaming gods.

Microsoft in my eyes, will lead from 2005 - 2015 no longer than that. Someone else is coming.

Call me crazy but this is how I see things.

Too bad for Microsoft Sony is most likely going to put them in third place in  a week. They better give the 360 some games before Sony shuts it out. They will actually be in third place for the first time.

I dont see sony doing it sony may have the hype right now, but on the 21st microsoft will have hype as well to match if not exceed the hype of the PS4.

Alot of people think sony will have the edge this time because they are coming out the same time as Xbox, but I don't think so, there are millions of gamers that have already made up there mine which console they are going to get.

There are millions of gamers in the US and UK that have decided they are getting the Xbox 720 first and then maybe later the PS4.

This wasn't the case after the first Xbox, sure there were millions that was going to get the Xbox 360 first but there are even more millions that have already decided they are going to get Xbox 720 first.

So I think it is going to be a tight race between sony and microsoft, until 2015 were I think valve and the steambox is going to gain popularity.

And here are my reasons, Valve has a good online service (the main reason xbox is the prefered console for many gamers is because of xbox live) and steam box is going to have the power, and what some of you may not know is that steam has 50 million subscribers. Last time I check the xbox and ps have sold 77 million consoles, so valve isn't that far behind in terms of potential consoles sold.

It could be someone else or I could be wrong, but the strongest threat to Microsoft of Sony leading the market is valve.

Call of duty will be on the steambox, currently the biggest selling online game this generation. I don't think call of duty would have been that popular without online.

So yea dont be so quick to think sony is going to make a comeback its possible but in my eyes it aint gonna happen.

Steambox has no shot at anything.

Microsoft better support the 360 or its going to end the gen in third place. Plain and simple.

By far the strongest 3rd place in video-game-history with significant market-share, yes.

I said the same thing about Sony's first party when they were in third place. Microsoft's "strong" lineup only held off Sony for a quarter and caused Sony to eat away at them in smaller increments.

And? We all know you downplay MS' line-up in every thread where it is possible (or even not) but it's not about your opinion which we all know, it's about numbers and that a former domination is no more. If you appreciate this nobody cares about but it should be appreciated.

LOL If I downplayed every MS lineup I wouldn't have had my 360 until Gears launched and then threw it away. The gaming media had been riding MS for their weak support of the 360 for no reason. Liking the 360 is no excuse to ignore their shortcomings.

And you do it again, parotting like hundreds of posts before. If the line-up is that bad, why does the console still keeps selling? You know that console-sales have more reasons than exclusives? But I see you are not able to appreciate MS' success. Not that I'd be surprised you can't, I think it is just sad to be so narrow-minded.

awesome quote tree :D

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Capulous said:
CGI-Quality said:
Bruxel said:
well microsoft got into the gamining market to go after sony, and it was proven this current gen was done quite well for them. Nintendo is always off doing their own thing and yes the entry of microsoft has effected every company as the big M is now a big player. I say this gen though they hurt sony the most. But the wii days are over and will see what happens with the wii U

And I will say this again, Sony did more damage to themselves than Microsoft did, or could have otherwise. Now as for the OP's issue, I completely disagree.

I disagree. MS did a lot of damage to Sony. If they never entered the console market, there is little doubt that Sony would still be dominating it.

MS did a lot to push the gaming business. Not everything was great, but a lot of good came from them entering the console wars. Where would we be if they didn't? Can't really say anything for a fact, as it will all be conjecture.

I didn't say MS didn't do a lot of damage to Sony, they just did more to themselves. There's also little doubt they'd be dominating if they hadn't launched a year later with a $600 price tag - FAR worse than anything else the PS3 endured.

SO true sony hurt themselves more than anyone else.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:
You liked the Gamecube right, so then why does it matter how much it sells? As long as it does decently enough for Nintendo to make a new system, then lifes good. Also, I see nothing wrong with Nintendo expanding the market with new types of games/ways to play them while still providing the same gameplay experiences we know n love. Besides, for all we know the Wii would have happened regardless of the Xbox.

This isn't really the case though. The Wii really wasn't the successor to the GameCube/N64/SNES at all, it was Nintendo moving in a direction of aiming themselves to non-gamers because they couldn't sustain their console business on only 23 million users that the GameCube sold unfortuantely.

In a lot of ways, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when MS entered the game business. I think Nintendo also holds the feeling that they cannot compete with MS' huge money warchest and have to be different now, whereas they never used to operate that way before.

And again, no knock on MS, they have done a great job in the game business, I do like that they have taken Sony down a couple of pegs for sure (because it was needed). I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the traditional Nintendo, which is what I think indirectly has actually occured.

No, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when Sony entered the gaming business.

The person to blame here is Ken Kutaragi, the father of the Playstation, he wanted to make a gaming console.

Sony stole final fantasy away from nintendo and that is when nintendo lost there edge, nintendo always had the rpgs.

N64 was awesome to me but that was the generation Nintendo fell. Super Nintendo was the last time nintendo was the leader of the videogame market.

Nintendo was the leader from 1985 - 1995, Sega was successful as well but nintendo was the clear leader. I like genesis better, go sega.

Sony in my eyes also had 10 years, from 1995 - 2005, 2005 was the year Xbox 360 was released.

And I believe Microsoft will have 10 years as well the gaming, even Microsoft can't defeat the gaming gods.

Microsoft in my eyes, will lead from 2005 - 2015 no longer than that. Someone else is coming.

Call me crazy but this is how I see things.

Too bad for Microsoft Sony is most likely going to put them in third place in  a week. They better give the 360 some games before Sony shuts it out. They will actually be in third place for the first time.

LOL, yes, the MS execs are quivering under their desks waiting for the end of days in a week. Despite all the market gain, profits, and momentum for next gen, it all hinges on sales bars on VGChartz.

CGI-Quality said:
Capulous said:
CGI-Quality said:

And I will say this again, Sony did more damage to themselves than Microsoft did, or could have otherwise. Now as for the OP's issue, I completely disagree.

I disagree. MS did a lot of damage to Sony. If they never entered the console market, there is little doubt that Sony would still be dominating it.

MS did a lot to push the gaming business. Not everything was great, but a lot of good came from them entering the console wars. Where would we be if they didn't? Can't really say anything for a fact, as it will all be conjecture.

I didn't say MS didn't do a lot of damage to Sony, they just did more to themselves. There's also little doubt they'd be dominating if they hadn't launched a year later with a $600 price tag - FAR worse than anything else the PS3 endured.

They launch a year later because MS decided to push for the next generation earlier. MS also offered a console which provided access to most third party games for a lower price. MS did a lot of things right for them to gain equal footing in the console market. Sony's $500/$600 price tags mattered, but the strategies MS employed were more damaging.

I don't since I game on both companies platforms. Nintendo for their 1st party and MS for multi-platform.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Pretty much. They ate the N64 for breakfast, then while Nintendo was still down and being stubborn they ate them for lunch as well with the GC. Then what happened? The 360 released before the PS3, which should have been just as great as the PS2, plus it won the Blu-ray war. The Wii popped its little head out, saw them distracted and took the flag.

To be honest, Spurge. Nintendo basicly handed their purple lunchbox to Sony and let them eat it. As much as I'm fond of the design, competitor wise, Nintendo shot themselves in the knee...

I must say, when I saw the $600 price tag, coupled with Kaz saying "get a second job"(wich made me changed my mind about getting one at th time). It gave Microsoft open the flood gates about "getting the Wii and an 360 for the price of a PS3". That was just brilliant on Microsofts part, use Sony's blunderness to their advantage. (Again with the joke) Sony shot themselves in the right foot, leaving them open for Microsoft to shoot them an arrow on their left knee. X'D

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
CGI-Quality said:
Capulous said:
CGI-Quality said:

They launch a year later because MS decided to push for the next generation earlier. MS also offered a console which provided access to most third party games for a lower price. MS did a lot of things right for them to gain equal footing in the console market. Sony's $500/$600 price tags mattered, but the strategies MS employed were more damaging.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. A $400 launch PS3 would have probably left the 360 behind much, much sooner. Their own mistakes to the brand were costly enough to let MS capitalize the way they did in the first place. Without that year headstart, no matter the reason, they wouldn't have been able to court 3rd parties the way they did, and Sony may have kept many of the PS3's exclusive titles.

We will have to disagree. Sony could not afford a $400 PS3 at launch. Judging from the sales of most of their launch titles, there is no way they would have made anywhere near enough to cover the losses. They didn't even start making a profit on the system until well into the generation. That would be like someone saying a $200 launch Xbox 360 would have gave them an insurmountable lead. It is pure conjecture and has no basis. As, I said before, the year headstart was part of MS's strategy, Sony could not do anything about that.

CGI-Quality said:
Capulous said:

We will have to disagree. Sony could not afford a $400 PS3 at launch. Judging from the sales of most of their launch titles, there is no way they would have made anywhere near enough to cover the losses. They didn't even start making a profit on the system until well into the generation. That would be like someone saying a $200 launch Xbox 360 would have gave them an insurmountable lead. It is pure conjecture and has no basis. As, I said before, the year headstart was part of MS's strategy, Sony could not do anything about that.

I didn't say they could afford a $400 PS3, but then, the reason they couldn't wasn't because of Microsoft. In fact, besides your last sentence, you reinforced my point.

Incorrect. I didn't reinforce any of your opinions; I just showed how hollow that if only argument you are using is. The 360 released earlier, at a lower price point. It is an equivalent system that has, lets say, 90% of the same games. This, along with many of the big name 3rd party games running better on the system. It also had a much better online infrastructure. It offered a whole new experience (online) to what the PS2 had. None of this was in Sony's control.

As you said before, we will just disagree. No point in pursuing this any longer as neither of us are going to convince the other.

CGI-Quality said:
Capulous said:
CGI-Quality said:
Capulous said:

I didn't say they could afford a $400 PS3, but then, the reason they couldn't wasn't because of Microsoft. In fact, besides your last sentence, you reinforced my point.

Incorrect. I didn't reinforce any of your opinions; I just showed how hollow that if only argument you are using is. The 360 released earlier, at a lower price point. It is an equivalent system that has, lets say, 90% of the same games. This, along with many of the big name 3rd party games running better on the system. It also had a much better online infrastructure. It offered a whole new experience (online) to what the PS2 had. None of this was in Sony's control.

As you said before, we will just disagree. No point in pursuing this any longer as neither of us are going to convince the other.

You said the PS3 couldn't release @ $400. Of course, because Sony was behind the creation of it. Thus, it is THEIR fault. The year headstart may not have, necessarily, been a fault, no, but it helped MS establish themselves, and with that $600 price tag, sealed many of their early deals. Thus, you aided my point and didn't even realize it.

Without Sony's own hand in their issues with the PS3, it would have cleared the 360 much sooner. Yes, MS damaged them, never denied that, it just isn't to the degree that Sony hurt themselves.

You keep arguing price as if that is the only reason for everything that has happened. It is not. I have done nothing to aid that point, I just pointed out how hollow of an argument that is. Since you want to bring up the cost of the systems, lets bring up another possibility.

If MS was not around, PS3 would have been fine releasing at that price. They may not even have had to release the PS3 as it was. Why did Sony need to push tech onto the PS3? They feared MS and wanted an advantage on their console.  Therefore MS forced their hand and it resulted in the problems the PS3 had when it was released. So, MS is the main reason that Sony had all these problems.

We can discuss this all day with different reasons and possibilities, but as I said it really won't make a difference.

CGI-Quality said:

It's clear that price was the only point I made, but since I know I'm not getting anywhere, you're right, no need to waste my time further. 

You claimed that Sony problems came mainly from themselves. You clearly attempted to argue that the year headstart and the cost as the main points. Sony had no control on when and how MS launched. MS entering the console market, very likely, had an effect on the cost of the PS3. I argued both these points and yet you keep trying to bring up costs without adding anything of substance to the discussion. I'll just leave it at that. Have a good day.