By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA tells Kotaku that it has zero titles in development for the Wii U

Tagged games:

Mazty said:
UncleScrooge said:
Mazty said:
UncleScrooge said:

So basically you have no proof that EA would irrationally throw away profit to spite Nintendo. 

*Learn what the hypocratic oath is...*

I'm not insulting you, I'm telling you the truth. It's clear that you don't understand how big businesses run or think and are making wholly unfounded statements. Also, learn what Occam's Razor is. It's obvious that EA aren't making games for the Wii U because it's not profitable - look at Madden. 

Again, I'm saying we need journalism to find out what really happened between the two. In fact I went on record on this forum saying Nintendo probably screwed this up and not EA. This is not about sales. You don't go from "unprecedented partnership" to "The Wii U is last gen" over the course of some months. Well, if it 'is' about sales EA's analysis truly sucked the first time. Talk about the most simple explanation. 

At the bolded stuff: Isn't this getting a tiny bit overboard now? You've never met me before. 

Edit: At the second bolded part... did you just...? Seriously are you pulling my leg?

42 people playing Madden.
Low Wii U sales.

Why isn't the above enough for you? Business is all about sales....Do you have any proof this incident is not about sales? No. EA probably spoke too soon about their partnership but honestly what they are doing seems entirely logical. Why invest in a console that is not selling and well be horrifically underpowered in 7 months compared to the competition? Think about the time it'd take to train people, concept ideas etc etc. It's just not worth it. 

I've never met you sure, but it's quite obvious by the way you are clamiming business decisions are emotive and not financial. Also if you knew what Occam's Razor was, than surely you wouldn't be demanding investigation?

1) You know... at one point someone *will* dig this out and we'll get the real explanation. Just look at EA's behaviour. This is not just about sales. 

2) It's incredibly funny that you keep pointing out my lack of knowledge. It reminds me of two friends of mine who studied political science. They were having a discussion in a café when someone interrupted them. The conversation went like this:

Guy: "What are you talking about? You are totally wrong!"

Friends: "Well, we were just talking about some stuff you know..."

Guy: "Yeah but you a WRONG! Don't you have any clue about politics?"

Friends: "Uhm... well a bit?"

Guy: "Come on you don't know shit. What are you even studying at university?"

Friends: "Politics..."

Around the Network
Dodece said:

The Nintendo fans on these forums are blatantly hypocritical. Both companies made promises that they failed to keep. Electronic Arts insinuated a support that it didn't deliver. Nintendo insinuated a support that it didn't deliver. How many times has Nintendo told the third party support lie now. You know it actually takes more then lip service to make that into a reality. They would actually have to design their hardware to fill the needs of developers. Do a competent job of marketing their product. Create a solid service with solid features that gamers genuinely want.

What about the Nintendo conspiracy. You know the one where they sabotage their console to drive away third party development. So they can have the console all to themselves. So they can pretend to be a console brand. When what they really are is a software studio. I mean really should we assume they are actually this fucking stupid, or that they have nefarious motives. The same mistake four times in a row is a bit hard to swallow.

The point being that Nintendo fans don't really have a problem with this behavior. After all they back Nintendo up when it is them pulling this shit. Their problem is that the lack of Electronic Arts support is going to have some dire consequences for their console god. They know losing this support is a major blow. Gaming staples aren't optional. They are damn well mandatory. Sporting games are the definition of a staple. The vast majority of games will take notice of their absence, and not purchase the console.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

what rule did this post break?

Mr Khan said:
Talal said:
Dodece said:

The Nintendo fans on these forums are blatantly hypocritical. Both companies made promises that they failed to keep. Electronic Arts insinuated a support that it didn't deliver. Nintendo insinuated a support that it didn't deliver. How many times has Nintendo told the third party support lie now. You know it actually takes more then lip service to make that into a reality. They would actually have to design their hardware to fill the needs of developers. Do a competent job of marketing their product. Create a solid service with solid features that gamers genuinely want.

What about the Nintendo conspiracy. You know the one where they sabotage their console to drive away third party development. So they can have the console all to themselves. So they can pretend to be a console brand. When what they really are is a software studio. I mean really should we assume they are actually this fucking stupid, or that they have nefarious motives. The same mistake four times in a row is a bit hard to swallow.

The point being that Nintendo fans don't really have a problem with this behavior. After all they back Nintendo up when it is them pulling this shit. Their problem is that the lack of Electronic Arts support is going to have some dire consequences for their console god. They know losing this support is a major blow. Gaming staples aren't optional. They are damn well mandatory. Sporting games are the definition of a staple. The vast majority of games will take notice of their absence, and not purchase the console.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Is this really worse than claiming that anyone on EA's side hates Nintendo and wants them to fail?

I don't understand the ban really.

I should clarify that the ban is not that actual post, but that Dodece's been running this same line for like two weeks straight. Fair to say we're all quite sick of it.

Didn't know that was against the rules.

Jay520 said:
Mr Khan said:
Talal said:
Dodece said:

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Is this really worse than claiming that anyone on EA's side hates Nintendo and wants them to fail?

I should clarify that the ban is not that actual post, but that Dodece's been running this same line for like two weeks straight. Fair to say we're all quite sick of it.

I didn't either. However, this type of comment is just fine though.

chocoloco said:
Mr Khan said:

Not everyone, just this. I would admit that those who suggest 3rd parties avoid Nintendo (a position i disagree with) may have some merit to their arguments, but this, this thing with EA, this is different. This is maliciousness, this is bullying, this is blatantly obvious, and no-one has any good reason to be on EA's side in this.

It's like SOPA. There are some things that are just so egregious that one side has absolutely no leg to stand on whatsoever.

You treat Nintendo like an omniscient, omnipitant, infallible god Kahn. Quotes on EA's perspective.

“Nintendo was operating with near monopoly power,” Gordon says. “They had like a 95 percent share of the console business, and they had earned it because they took a huge risk.  If a publisher wanted to get in bed with the NES, they had to fly to Japan, state its case for a development system, and if Nintendo deemed it worthy, there was only one deal on the table.  Nintendo would sell the company a dev kit for what Gordon calls “a ridiculous price,” and after a game was finished the publisher had to send it to Nintendo, which would ultimately decide whether our not it would be manufactured.”

Bing Gordon Former Cheif creative Officer of EA

“Wait, we spend all this time and we build a game but we don’t know if we can bring it to market?,”

‘That’s right, and if we decide to bring it to market, we manufacture it and we’ll tell you how many we’ll build. You pay us half the cost, and then we manufacture it when we feel like it. When it’s done in Japan, you pay the second half of the cost, and we release it and you figure out how you want to ship it.”

“EA would be allowed to manufacture its own Genesis cartridges, could make as many games as it wanted, and received a more favorable royalty rate. The next day at CES there was a wall of 16-bit Electronic Arts titles running on the Sega Genesis.”

“We’re pretty strongly in the camp that low manufacturing cost in media is important to the overall growth of interactive entertainment,” Gordon said. “I doubt we’ll ever ship as many products for the Nintendo 64 in any year as we do on the PC or the Sony PlayStation.”

One of the explanations we have is that there’s a lot of double ownership. So people having a Wii and a 360 and/or PS3. They’re really playing different types of games on those two machines, and historically up to now we assume those people will have played the more mature content on the more high-tech machine. Dead Space: Extraction is going to be a very nice test of that hypothesis, because we’re really building a game where the Wii version is very different to the Dead Space game on 360 and PS3, and we’ll actually see whether we can reach more people with a) a great game and b) interesting content. If that’s not going to work, then obviously the whole proposal from our point of view at least of more mature games on the Wii just does not work.” – Dr Jens Uwe Intat, European VP at Electronic Arts

There is plenty more if your willing to look at a side other than the infallible Nintendo here.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/03/25/the-sexual-history-between-nintendo-and-electronic-arts/

This a million times. I'm sick of fans pretending that Nintendo are angels. They are not, they make mistakes like everyone does. Even in the Wii days they had awful regulations.

Around the Network
Arcturus said:
Jay520 said:
Mr Khan said:
Talal said:
Dodece said:

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Spamming is against the rules. Pasting the exactly same comment into every single thread about Nintendo for two weeks most certainly can be considered spamming -> Ban

badgenome said:
green_sky said:

Also badgenome. What are you doing at Kotaku?

Masturbating to pictures of the Sorceress. I went there to educate myself about how I objectify women by playing video games and noticed that somehow this non-gender-related article slipped through the editorial cracks.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

KHlover said:

Spamming is against the rules. Pasting the exactly same comment into every single thread about Nintendo for two weeks most certainly can be considered spamming -> Ban

Is he actually posting the same exact content?  I googled a snippet of the post and the only result was this thread.  If it was just for posting the same general idea over and over, then perhaps Mr Khan might need to evaluate his own posts.

KHlover said:
Arcturus said:
Jay520 said:
Mr Khan said:
Talal said:
Dodece said:

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

He wasn't banned for spamming, he was banned for trolling.

Jay520 said:
Mr Khan said:
Talal said:
Dodece said:

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5348575

He didn't have anything good to say about Nintendo. Bannable offense