By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA tells Kotaku that it has zero titles in development for the Wii U

Tagged games:

badgenome said:

I have been convinced for a while now that Dodece is a bot. I almost expect all his posts to start with, "Like Martha said, I was shocked to find out that you can make $4837 a week hating Nintendo at home."

That's too YouTube-ish for this site.

OT: God, what a mess this thread became. I'm glad I didn't blatantly pick one side or the other in my initial post...

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Scoobes said:

Isn't this more about the WiiU though? Sales of their WiiU games have been less than spectacular, WiiU sales are incredibly slow and EA in are in a bad way (recently released 10% of their workforce, financially not great). Business-wise they can't afford to invest in WiiU development until sales pick up.

Then where's the 3DS support? Can't argue it is not selling well.

EA haven't said anything about the Vita yet have they? Until they announce they're not supporting 3DS or the next Fifa/NFS/Sims iteration doesn't appear we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

The other point is that EA seem to be migrating towards mobile and tablets when it comes to the handheld market. EA has reduced output on all dedicated handhelds and instead focussed on the more profitable mobile/tablet sectors where they can micro-transaction the hell out of your hard earned cash.

Sharu said:
superchunk said:
Scoobes said:

Isn't this more about the WiiU though? Sales of their WiiU games have been less than spectacular, WiiU sales are incredibly slow and EA in are in a bad way (recently released 10% of their workforce, financially not great). Business-wise they can't afford to invest in WiiU development until sales pick up.

Then where's the 3DS support? Can't argue it is not selling well.

Also EA could just make ports of their annual sport franchises from x360/Ps3 to WiiU. Ubisoft told us that these ports can cost around 1-1.5 mln USD. Then even the sales of 100 000 games on WiiU would bring some profit to EA. Since they not going this way, it seems the reasons are not money but smth else...

Well, none of their games have actually broken 100,000 so at the moment each title is still in the red if your figures are correct. That in itself is astonishing considering the porting costs are relatively cheap so it would make perfect business sense to jump out now for a company trying to get back to profitability.

Not saying there couldn't be something else, but the business case is a strong one.

pezus said:
Zero999 said:
pezus said:

Which is not good for them, because they can have a much better ratio of effort vs. sales on the other consoles in addition to the higher sales. There really is no incentive...at all, for EA to be working on WiiU games when they can barely reach 100k. Having said that, I feel like they should've tried for one more year to see if things would improve (which I doubt - even with some effort).

EA deliberately sabotaged those games in order to have an excuse to stop the support. it isn't "no good for them", it's exactly what they wanted.

Oh, really? And what would be the reason for that? 

As has already been established, they would not want Nintendo to go out of business. They just want to make games where the money is (for them).

This: no 3rd party will take on its shoulders the growth of new platforms, unless they are reasonably sure it will give them profit or any other advantage, but they won't snub any of them once their user bases get big and attractive enough. Until then, each console producer will have to take most of the weight on its shoulders and be content with whatever 3rd party comes early, without complaining about the others choosing to wait longer before joining. And possibly they'll have to moneyhat whatever they want early and/or exclusive at all costs.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I read on Nintendoeverything.com that the CEO (I think) said that the games they already released for the WiiU was the unprecedented partnership from them. I have to admit that was their best excuse yet! X'D

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:

... but they won't snub any of them once their user bases get big and attractive enough.

Eh.