By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 surpassing Xbox 360 countdown: Let the end finally begin.

Farsala said:
walsufnir said:
Hallelujah, praise the lord. Finally. Has anyone counted how many overtaking-threads there have been in the last years? I hope this is the last one :)

Yeah quite a few, sadly you might see a bunch of overtaking Wii threads in the future.

Oh damn, didn't think of that! *sigh*

Around the Network

It will be really anticlimactic if the PS3 passes the 360 during an adjustment.

It's closing in...100k to go... 60k... 40k... 20k... wait, adjustments. Now PS3 is 200k ahead of 360. It passed it 2 months ago. ......Oh.

it happened a while back already. Also, there are more LIVING PS3s (active installed-base) in the world, probably above 20 million.

whether it passes it or not, its impressive that its so close despite being a year late and more expensive and i think they both did a good job by reducing Wii's market share by 10%, unheard of.

The Wii won, plain and simple.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

The PS3 overtaking the XBox 360 is one of the greatest days of my life. I will have to open up one of my expensive champagnes on ice or crack open one of my 25 year old malt whiskeys to celebrate. Let's drink to the PS3s victory over the XBox 360. Does anyone else feel the PS3s victory over the X360 is one of the greatest days of their life?

CGI-Quality said:
Areym said:
The Wii won, plain and simple.

Who argued against that?

Nobody, but it's turning out to be pretty irrelevant because the Wii essentially lost its market relevance back in 2010.

I'm awaiting the inevitable "countdown until the PS3 passes the Wii" threads.

Even though I'm having a hard time seeing either the PS3 or the Xbox 360 selling more than 20m additional hardware units this late in the generation, that's not to say that it couldn't happen depending on how long either stays on the market and which ends production when. My guess, not prediction, is that the Wii will likely end production first. 

And while it's not impossible (maybe highly improbable) for the Wii U to turn its fortunes around, particularly with the impending release of the PS4 and XBI, its reception by both consumers and developers have so far shown that Nintendo didn't really win a damn thing by moving far more 7th gen hardware than either MS or SCE. 

the_dengle said:
It will be really anticlimactic if the PS3 passes the 360 during an adjustment.

It's closing in...100k to go... 60k... 40k... 20k... wait, adjustments. Now PS3 is 200k ahead of 360. It passed it 2 months ago. ......Oh.

i am not seeing that.

CGI-Quality said:

Good assessment, I'd say. Nintendo could still do something, but if the PS4 [or Next Xbox] grab enough of the core base, which is likely, I don't imagine pulling out of this hole will be a simple thing.

In short, the scenario goes something like Nintendo ends production of the Wii after 2013 holiday season sales trickle down to nothing with no significant new titles on the horizon. I think it's fair to say Nintendo has essentially stopped diverting resources to Wii software development already. 

The scenario continues where the PS3 stays on the market past 2016 ("ten year life cycle" ten years of hardware and software support) at $199, maybe $149, and generates sales in all those smaller international markets where the PS2 continued to generate sales long after the PS3 had taken its place. If nothing else, the PS3 is still a fairly inexpensive set top box for accessing video content and services, even if they are never used to play retail copy games. 

It's conceivable, but hardly the most probable scenario in which the PS3 manages to sell over 20m units, edging out the Wii when the final tallies are added up and the 7th gen officially rolls to a halt. 

Personally, I'm not counting on it and frankly, by 2016 I'm not even going to remember having given it a second thought.