By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your thoughts on Nintendo?

They make a lot of great games. Even if a lot of them don't appeal to me or I feel that some of their franchises aren't evolving enough, I still appreciate what they do. A downside would be their lack of co-operation with 3rd parties though, the best games this generation have come from 3rd parties in my opinon, and their 1st party library doesn't anywhere near make up for that.

I also like that their consoles are affordable and have a "retro" feel to them, but this has also been working against them recently as they seem to be way behind the curve when it comes to technology.

Overall, Nintendo do enough to convince me to buy their consoles second hand later in the generation, but they'll never be my main choice.

EDIT: Damn, this thread went downhill fast.

Around the Network

Nintendo has gone far away from what I think a hardware company should be. I would be very happy if they were only a software company. They took forever making a HD console. The Wii U comes right when the nextbox and PS4 are coming,  both of them are continuing my preference towards making every gen have substantially better visuals.

The handheld market has a lot of games that could be easily played on mobile. And, since most of their games are simple enough to do this (JRPGs mostly) excluding quality shooters, I am thinking they need to make software for mobile. I am all over the mobile potential.  I never was into buying what I perceive as over priced handheld games. Making the games cheaper on moblie platforms would be a benifit to all consumers, as they could be bought by more people rather than limiting the audience by having to own a very limited nintendo handheld that is mostly there for games only.

Kresnik said:

I like enough of their franchises to buy their consoles at some point during the generation but not enough to make me buy them at or close to launch.

I'm glad that they're bringing things like Pikmin back, but I wish they would focus on more of a spread of their franchises (Star Fox & F-Zero included). I don't enjoy two of their bigger franchises at all (Zelda & 2D Mario); but I do greatly enough two of their other ones (Mario Kart & 3D Mario).

I dislike that Operation Rainfall had to happen at all; but I do like that it seems to have opened a new door in terms of localising & publishing titles in the west and I hope that they continue it beyond Bravely Default.

The only thing I actively hold against them is that they're dreadful at digital content in terms of both delivering it in a timely fashion & pricing it. After being able to pay once and play on 3 different consoles with PS1 classics; it feels like a kick in the nuts that I would have to pay extra to transfer N64 games across to a Wii-U.

Generally, they're very much on my good side, because it's the actual games which come first and their games are very good. I very much hope that they stay a major part of this industry.

I can't believe you didn't mention your love for Animal Crossing!

OT: I really dislike Nintendo. I feel that they are as bad or worse than the devil.

I feel like they are a great company with several faults. Nintendo, although I could care less about this, have taken their sweet time finally catching up to last-generation features. This doesn't affect me, but surely affects other's views on Nintendo. Nintendo also decided on releasing the Wii U, which wasn't all that great of a decision seeing how it has worked out, so far. They also seem to care way too much about other companies decisions. (See above) They need to stop that and start being a tad more independent. (If that's the word for it.)

Even with those faults (and most likely more) they are still my favorite out of the Big Three. They always release quality titles (other than Wii Music) and they always seem to have some type of connection with their community, albeit that last generation wasn't all that great (in that aspect.) Nintendo makes great games, has great customer service (most of the times), and makes great HW. They are the best. (Despite my first paragraph.)

I grew up they didn't and I find them easily the most boring predictable out of the big three, I know they are going to release Mario games and Zelda games and that's the bulk of their first party resources. They are worst than Activation with yearly releases and they remake games constantly with no end in sight. They appeal almost exclusively to children and casuals and don't give shit about me as a gamer. They have almost no imagination with first party games that are just like the last one and release weak hardware that's always fishing for a new gimmick to appease casuals. I haven't bought a game from them since the DS launched and I will continue down the same route. I do appreciate them making lots of money with the WII but I think the cost of gamers respect is something they will never earn back. IMHO

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Nintendo is doing exactly the same things they always did..they didnt change any paths.. actions speak louder then words. and that is not a bad thing i mean every big nintendo game released is a masterpiece. they are giving us constantly something new be it software of existing franchises or hardware. nintendo is still king and I dont see why someone would say otherwise.

only negative is no new IPs because they rely to much on mario..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network

By far the best and most diverse game developers make Nintendo, and theyre the best bussiness people also.

I love the priorities they have, which is gaming at a afordable price and ideas over technicalities.

Theyre been acting a bit on the easy/safe zone as of late, which im sure is going to change soon.

This thread. The hill it went down.

I actually feel somewhat sorry for you, Carl. Because it's a pretty good thread concept which has sadly been ruined by a select few. Regardless:

As with Sony, I have a love-hate relationship with Nintendo. I love their games, their consoles are quirky and they're reliable. But I hate the fact that they struggle with major new IPs, the fact that VC takes so long to update and that the shareholders are pretty much driving the company into the ground by demanding things which Nintendo just isn't known for.

It should be noted that Nintendo are at their best when they're in panic mode, which is where they are now. Hence why the 3DS is getting a barrage of games, something we can expect to see with the Wii U in the next year or two. They've been complacent for too long now.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

I actually feel somewhat sorry for you, Carl. Because it's a pretty good thread concept which has sadly been ruined by a select few. Regardless:

As with Sony, I have a love-hate relationship with Nintendo. I love their games, their consoles are quirky and they're reliable. But I hate the fact that they struggle with major new IPs, the fact that VC takes so long to update and that the shareholders are pretty much driving the company into the ground by demanding things which Nintendo just isn't known for.

It should be noted that Nintendo are at their best when they're in panic mode, which is where they are now. Hence why the 3DS is getting a barrage of games, something we can expect to see with the Wii U in the next year or two. They've been complacent for too long now.

Its not like they can carry on the little spat

Carl2291 said:
Conegamer said:

Its not like they can carry on the little spat

Yeah, I guess there's that so hopefully the thread will get back on track from here!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

To help bringing this thread back where it belongs:

Super Metroid for 30c? I like them because they bribe me