By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

I'm OK with this

Around the Network

Go Uncharted go!

Wondering if Star Fox Zero will show up even at all...

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Kresnik said:

You can spin the IP argument either way.  X came off a beloved JRPG (with brand recognition I would add, even in an unconventional way) that definitely raised its profile through quality.  Star Ocean came off a widely disliked entry that effectively killed the series in its tracks for quite some time.

The only take-away from the situation is that JRPG's on home consoles that don't target to a very specific niche audience are struggling a lot this gen.  Heck I'd extend that to consoles in general.  I expect Saga Vita to show major decline as well.  Things just aren't what they used to be in the dedicated market.

I suppose that's true, but Xenoblade Chronicles was never up to Star Ocean's caliber in Japan. And XCX certainly couldn't have been expected to reach that level on the Wii U, where it was really the first of its kind. It is true that quality can affect sales potential, but we have seen time and time again amazing JRPGs can sell bad to decent while mediocre JRPGs can sell like hotcakes, it can really just depend on the name that's printed on the box. Neither game did spectacularly, and I think both did about what was expected of them in a general sense.

I agree though. Home console JRPGs are really struggling overall and it's pretty disconcerting. I'm not sure what can save it at this point.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

COMG!
25 days 13  16
24 days 14  16
23 days 14  16
22 days 15  16
21 days 17  
20 days 19  
19 days 21  
18 days 24  
17 days 24  
16 days 32  
15 days 34  
14 days 38  
13 days 49  
12 days 62  
11 days 66  
10 days 83  
9 days 96  
8 days 114  
7 days 139  
6 days 168  
5 days 178  
4 days 188  
3 days 194  
2 days 205  
Final day 214  
Launch 307  

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
Kresnik said:

You can spin the IP argument either way.  X came off a beloved JRPG (with brand recognition I would add, even in an unconventional way) that definitely raised its profile through quality.  Star Ocean came off a widely disliked entry that effectively killed the series in its tracks for quite some time.

The only take-away from the situation is that JRPG's on home consoles that don't target to a very specific niche audience are struggling a lot this gen.  Heck I'd extend that to consoles in general.  I expect Saga Vita to show major decline as well.  Things just aren't what they used to be in the dedicated market.

I suppose that's true, but Xenoblade Chronicles was never up to Star Ocean's caliber in Japan. And XCX certainly couldn't have been expected to reach that level on the Wii U, where it was really the first of its kind. It is true that quality can affect sales potential, but we have seen time and time again amazing JRPGs can sell bad to decent while mediocre JRPGs can sell like hotcakes, it can really just depend on the name that's printed on the box. Neither game did spectacularly, and I think both did about what was expected of them in a general sense.

I agree though. Home console JRPGs are really struggling overall and it's pretty disconcerting. I'm not sure what can save it at this point.

Xeno franchise and Star Ocean franchise has never been that far off. Last gen only went awry when MS got SO exclusivity for a bit. In fact both franchises are close to the same age, and both followed the JRPG golden age and both are now selling very low numbers.

Its funny that the highest selling Xeno game sold more then the highest selling SO game in Japan.

Skullwaker said:
Kresnik said:

Isn't there more Star Ocean games than Xenoblade? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Another freaking day without points for one single PS Vita game... o.O
This makes me really angry!!! If this happens again tomorrow, I will leave VGChartz... :/ xD

Slow but steady so far. Nothing unexpected.

Farsala said:

Xeno franchise and Star Ocean franchise has never been that far off. Last gen only went awry when MS got SO exclusivity for a bit. In fact both franchises are close to the same age, and both followed the JRPG golden age and both are now selling very low numbers.

Its funny that the highest selling Xeno game sold more then the highest selling SO game in Japan.

I'm just referring to Xenoblade individually, not Xeno as a whole. The games are pretty different and are only considered spiritual successors in terms of name and specific details. It's really not the same thing as a longstanding franchise with the same name and sequels following each one (like Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, etc.)

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread