By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is sony going to learn their lesson with the PS4 and not over price it?

what is worst than a 599$ ps3?

a 599$ YLOD ps3

Around the Network

It would be crazy for them 2 launch it at PS3 launch prices.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

No new tech being introduced so price should be reasonable.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

$499 seems like the most likely price. It certainly won't fly off the shelves and will probably struggle initially at that price, but after a year or 18 months, the advantages that the PS4 has over the PS3 should be enough to make it worth the upgrade for the mass market.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

$400 for the basic sku seems like a reasonable price point to sell it. Then $500 for the advanced sku is how I'm hoping Sony will sell it for. Any less then $400 seems highly unlikely unless it's a subscription model pricing.

Around the Network

I don't how people can complain about paying £300 to £400 for a brand new console and yet buy a £600 mobile phone or tablet, it makes no sense. Consoles are more capable pieces of technology than phones at least for now

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Shinobi-san said:
Everyone is pulling out numbers from their ass in this thread.

Who says selling the PS4 at 399 will cause a loss??? Jeepers.

The tech inside PS4 is powerfull but really cheap. Since theres nothing coming in addition to the unit itself that we know of (apart from camera and control) i dont see a major cost issue at all.

i used the wii u example. 299 at a loss would mean about 250 cost sold at 230 to retailers, who in turn retail for 299. ps4 seens considerably more expensive than wii u in many parts so i expect a number close to 400 in cost. even if they sold it to retailers for 300-320 (about 80-100 loss) the system would still retail for about 400. and considering sony can't/won't take that big of a loss, $450+ is more plausible.

the2real4mafol said:
I don't how people can complain about paying £300 to £400 for a brand new console and yet buy a £600 mobile phone or tablet, it makes no sense. Consoles are more capable pieces of technology than phones at least for now

This is exactly what I was thinking especially when phones at that price come out yearly and a console is every 6/7 years I don't see why paying £300-400 for a console is bad at all

the2real4mafol said:

people buy $20000 cars and $100000 houses too. different products have different prices, paying 600 for a mobile phone doesn't change the average price for a videogame.

Chris1596 said:
the2real4mafol said:

This is exactly what I was thinking especially when phones at that price come out yearly and a console is every 6/7 years I don't see why paying £300-400 for a console is bad at all

Because people think they NEED smartphones in their daily life, whereas gaming consoles are viewed as optional. That's basically it. We are obviously talking about the general public, NOT amout gamers, mind you.