By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is sony going to learn their lesson with the PS4 and not over price it?

pezus said:
Devil_Survivor said:
pezus said:

Yes, PS4 will launch at $199.

People know that when they buy Sony consoles they are paying for more than having the right to play the games that are on it. Don't expect PS4 to launch at WiiU's price because the console will simply be more expensive to make

What's your reasoning behind that prediction because I haven't seen anyone say it would lanuch at that price point? BTW who is the girl in your video in your sig :)?

Heh, it's not a prediction. Just a small sarcasm

That is Alizée. Congrats, you are the 50th person to ask me! Here's your prize:

Ugh, French is the worst sounding romance language.  Italian is so much better even Spanish is better as long as its not annoying Mexican Mariachi music.  And I'm saying that despite having French ancestry and a French surname.

Around the Network

No...Just look at my avatar.

Zero999 said:
chapset said:
the ps3 wasn't overpriced, they were losing like 200$ on each console at launch

it was a 499/599 dollar videogame so it was overpriced. what it costed to sony is irrelevant.

overpriced=/= expensive

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

pezus said:
MoHasanie said:
pezus said:
MoHasanie said:
The fact that they're not going to take loses on it means it will be expensive so most certainly $400+ .

Not "major" losses. I think a $100 loss per console is possible, which will be partly offset by software.

$100 loss is a lot! Sony is struggling to make a profit and taking more loses won't solve the problem. A $50 loss would be more reasonable. 

They still have PS3 selling at a nice profit and PS2 and GT6 probably selling gangbusters during the holidays. They need to underprice the console if they want it to be the console of choice next gen

The PS3 is making profits but the Vita is bringing down the profits of the game division, so the games division this year posted a big fall in profits. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

They didn't learn their lesson with the Vita, so I doubt that they will with the PS4. It will probably cost $500, and struggle after the holidays, similar to the Wii U.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network

You can`t compare handheld with home console Sony will learn from theirs error and ps4 will sold well.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Everyone is pulling out numbers from their ass in this thread.

Who says selling the PS4 at 399 will cause a loss??? Jeepers.

The tech inside PS4 is powerfull but really cheap. Since theres nothing coming in addition to the unit itself that we know of (apart from camera and control) i dont see a major cost issue at all.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

$599 for a PS3 at launch in America was cheap in comparison to most countries in the world launching at higher prices. The PS3 at launch retailed at or above $1000 in New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Argentina. Whatever the price Sony decides the PS4 is going to be is the price the most hardcore and cashed up gamers will pay. Early adopters of a new product pay a premium to be first in to experience a new product. With a Sony or Apple product paying a premium to purchase a new product can be a life changing experience.

Vita wasn't overpriced at launch. For the hardware it was a pretty solid deal. The 3DS was overpriced at launch. I doubt the PS4 will be over 399$.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Let's get the facts straight. The PS3 was expensive, but certainly not overpriced. Stadium beers at $10 is overpriced, since they're probably making 900% profit on each beer. A product can't be overpriced when you're getting in return more value than what you paid for. $600 is a lot of money, but what you were getting back with the PS3 at the time costs more than the $600 you paid for.