By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Real question: Will PS4 outsell the 3DS on a regular basis or in the long run?

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The 3DS should be compared to the PSP or the Vita, not consoles. Consoles should be compared to one another. The Gameboy has always outsold the typical Nintendo console, so really this isnt about who is better, but it just makes no sense to me because I dont see how it affects the other in a way worth expressing.

The point is that they both are being sold as consoles and are both being sold in the gaming franchise. They can and will be compared. Just like when the DS and PS2 were compared. 

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
scottie said:
spurgeonryan said:
scottie said:

Yes, the hype from the Matrix 1 (PS2) certainly helped sales of the Matrix 2 (PS3), but it didn't help sales of the Matrix 3 (PS4).

You mean after the 'people get get two jobs' and no big games until MGS4 thing? Sure, Sony know a lot about managing consoles, no more than MS or Nintendo.

3rd parties were on board with the PS3.

The world doesn't give a shit about power, why else would the Wii and PS2 have done so well?

The PS2 was powerful.

True. The Wii and the PS2 gave people games that they wanted. PS2 did sell 50 million plus- more copies than the Wii as well.

Like you said, "The PS3 had third parties". So that tells us the PS4 probably will as well. Based off how happy third parties are with PS3 game sales. The PS3 was a late bloomer, and now will have the advantage of coming out before the 720. But we will see.

to be honest, I am for the 3DS, but want to look at it at ever angle. I would not count the PS4 out.

The PS2 was more powerful than the dreamcast, less powerful than the GC and Xbox. How does that make it powerful?

I am not counting the PS4 out. I make my decisions after we have information. You are making the decision now, when we know nothing about the PS4 or 720, and very little about how the WiiU will end up selling.

Honestly, what do we know about the PS4/720 that we didn't know in 2006?

Bold prediction. PS4 will beat 3DS week 1 of its existence.

Seriously 3DS will probably outsell it. It's a Nintendo handheld and it owns the market. PS4 will have stronger competition and more of it. Also PS4 will cost a lot more (over double) so I would hope it doesn't sell as much. PS2 still managed to beat out less expensive handhelds so I guess there's a chance but unfortunately MS is still around so it won't be as universal in the home console market as with PS2.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

why do you compare it to something it can't compete against?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Nah, not seeing it.

That said, I DO see the gap that we saw between the PS3 and DS being shrunk down to PS4 and 3DS.

The 3DS long term falling short of the DS by 10 - 20 million lifetime wouldn't surprise me, while I feel confident the PS4 will gain significant ground in the US while maintaining dominance in Europe. Japan could either go a few million less or a few million more depending on a few factors. I also see "other" doing better as well than the PS3 longterm, but that gets quite a bit more complicated...

The real question is how big the gap will be.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The 3DS should be compared to the PSP or the Vita, not consoles. Consoles should be compared to one another. The Gameboy has always outsold the typical Nintendo console, so really this isnt about who is better, but it just makes no sense to me because I dont see how it affects the other in a way worth expressing.

The point is that they both are being sold as consoles and are both being sold in the gaming franchise. They can and will be compared. Just like when the DS and PS2 were compared. 

In history no one will care whether the PS2 put up a fight against the DS. They will only care how they did against their direct competition in the Gamecube and Xbox. This is exactly why the PSP was created, much like the Game Gear...to go up again Nintendos dominant handheld and replicate the profit.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

In history no one will care whether the PS2 put up a fight against the DS. They will only care how they did against their direct competition in the Gamecube and Xbox. This is exactly why the PSP was created, much like the Game Gear...to go up again Nintendos dominant handheld and replicate the profit.

It seems as though people will, however. 

I see that I won't change your mind, though. Let's just drop it.

The 3DS is a casual system. A lot of parents buy one for each of their kids while the PS consoles are mostly a one-console per household type of system.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
NintendoPie said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yes, but this isn't history, this is VGChartz, where the entire point of the site is to masturbate to numbers.

... PS2 155 million > DS 153.87 million

Lawlight said:
The 3DS is a casual system. A lot of parents buy one for each of their kids while the PS consoles are mostly a one-console per household type of system.

Casual system? No

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)