By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Missing Out on 15 Frostbite 3 Games

Once WiiU's sales pick up.....Oh wait.

Around the Network
veritaz said:
That sucks, not like i didn't see it coming though. Nintendo makes consoles for themselves and not for games in general which is really weird so it's obvious 3rd party support is still gonna be almost non existent. It's gonna take some actual new games and a price cut for the Wii u to look appealing to most people.

Amen. This has always been one of Nintendos greatest issues.

Dodece said:
Third party support is crucial to a platforms survival. One of the defining characteristics of failed consoles is that they didn't garner sufficient third party support. What makes the absence of Electronic Arts all the more vexing as far as the Wii U is concerned is the fact that they function as a intermediary for smaller independent studios. Who cannot afford to self publish their games. Electronic Arts doesn't just publish its own games. It publishes the games that are made by other developers.

While I am personally not a fan of Electronic Arts. That doesn't necessarily mean I harbor ill will towards the small developers that may not have any other choice to get to me. Other then by going through Electronic Arts. You are going to miss out on a lot more then games that come expressly out of Electronic Arts because of this. Worse it can, and does send a message to the industry at large.

Electronic Arts is a accomplished scavenger, and when they turn their noses up at a prospective meal. Others really do take notice of that. They aren't know for being picky eaters. If they refuse to eat it send the message that the platform is question is terribly toxic. It Electronic Arts doesn't think it can make a living off of something. What conclusion should other publishers/developers draw when they aren't anywhere near as efficient as the company that is the undisputed master of carbon copying games.

this has got to be some twilight zone im in. this is the second time ive found myself agreeing with what you said in a span of a day.

Mass Effect uses Unreal Engine, no?

Nintendo has basically lost the casual market to tablets and smartphones, and for the core market, the big franchises that actually move systems (if the Wii U even gets them) will be superior on the PS4/Xbox. I think Nintendo is going to reallyyyy struggle with it's identity this generation. The niche market that they're left with is simply too small to sustain high sales levels.

It's all about the game.

Around the Network
lilwingman said:
Nintendo has basically lost the casual market to tablets and smartphones, and for the core market, the big franchises that actually move systems (if the Wii U even gets them) will be superior on the PS4/Xbox. I think Nintendo is going to reallyyyy struggle with it's identity this generation. The niche market that they're left with is simply too small to sustain high sales levels.

Oh trust me, if you saw the Gamecube Nintendo can still gain high scales through their loyal fanbase. Even with twenty million plus installed base they can still gather quite a bit of cash for their first party.

Who cares? PS3 was only getting support due to the PS3's similarity to 360 last gen, i betcha that's the same reason they're getting it next gen.

And Nintendo historically has always made profit from their consoles. The real interesting question is what surprises Nintendo will bring from the new indys popping up everywhere (thanks EA!).

S.T.A.G.E. said:
lilwingman said:

Oh trust me, if you saw the Gamecube Nintendo can still gain high scales through their loyal fanbase. Even with twenty million plus installed base they can still gather quite a bit of cash for their first party.

ditto, and Nintendo lost something which i think has been sorely missed during the launch of Wii U, MS hired Nintendo's key marketing/pr guy for the original Wii.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

lilwingman said:

Pretty much spot on. Their console side is in for a rough 4-5 years.

@S.T.A.G.E.

That is of coarse presuming that the install base from that console has remained largely intact, and that is hardly any kind of certainty. Given how Nintendo treated the faithful last generation. I suspect that Nintendo disenfranchised many of them with their over the top casual antics. They were core gamers after all, and Nintendo neglected them pretty severely. Not only in not providing enough of the games they wanted, but in making their favorite games that much more casual. Often destroying the challenge that made them addictive in the first place.

These forums are a prime example. Not only are they rife with disillusioned defectors, but a large portion of the most vocal proponents of the platform simply melted away during the coarse of that generation. Nintendo basically just starved so many of them out, and into abject apathy. There just isn't a lot of loud and proud Nintendo fans left these days. I know people don't want to hear this, and they are going to mock me for saying this, but Nintendo will be doing pretty damn well considering if they can manage to sell fifteen million consoles lifetime, and I am thinking it will be more like twelve million.

pezus said:
DarkSouls said:
I just don't get why this is a big deal! I for one, will never own just one console and I think that it's safe to say that most people that own a Nintendo platform, also own some other platform as well. Wii U doesn't need a bunch of shovel-ware, they need quality games, and let me tell you that out of those 15 games, maybe 1 will be great, the rest shovel-ware imo!

You're kidding yourself. You really think several Bioware, Dice, Visceral games will be shovelware? Bioware and Dice especially are some of the top developers in the industry

Duplicate sorry