By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Alex Ferguson Retires. :-)

As a Chelsea fan, this is worrying, they better not take my Jose from me!

Around the Network

Mourinho or Klopp.

Will be an interesting Season for Man U, thats for sure.

Carl2291 said:
Mourinho or Klopp.

Either of those two would be great at Man U.

Carl2291 said:
Mourinho or Klopp.

Klopp is more about building a team from young, modest talents - I'm not sure how well he would do at handling a bunch of divas

you should fix your title its misleading

he is a Sir haha.

I agree it will be interesting times at ManU, time will tell just how much of his genius made ManU successful.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Cobretti2 said:

you should fix your title its misleading

he is a Sir haha.

I agree it will be interesting times at ManU, time will tell just how much of his genius made ManU successful.

Not to me he isnt.  Such a foul mouthed man republican doesn't warrant the title.

haha.

I hope Moyes doesn't take over next year.

I was thinking Ryan Giggs shoudl do it, after all he has been brianwashed my Ferguson for the last 23years, so shoudl know his routines.

Dr.Grass said:

weaveworld said:

those trophies are expected when you run one of the wealthiest clubs in the world right?
So actually, he just did his job.

OH COME ON. There's SO much competition in England from clubs just as rich as Man U. Not to mention the european sliverware. He's been the greatest manager ever.

And I don't like Man U at all. Just being realistic.

Talking about European silverware...

In the same timeframe Ac Milan won 5 times the Champions League, Real Madrid 3 times and Barca 4 times.

Bayern Munich picked up 14 national titles, Madrid 11 and AC Milan 8.

He 's been a good manager for one of the wealthiest clubs in the world.

kowenicki said:
Dr.Grass said:

weaveworld said:

those trophies are expected when you run one of the wealthiest clubs in the world right?
So actually, he just did his job.

OH COME ON. There's SO much competition in England from clubs just as rich as Man U. Not to mention the european sliverware. He's been the greatest manager ever.

And I don't like Man U at all. Just being realistic.

You think?

I think Bob Paisley was the best ever.

What he won in just 9 years was incredible: 6 titles, 4 league cups, 3 European cups (champions lge), 1 UEFA cup, 1 Super cup and 6 charity shields.

Fergie was never very good in Europe.  Two Champions leagues in 27 years is pretty poor given the domestic dominance.  He has underachieved in Europe, I think even he would admit that.

A few things to put Ferguson's record in Europe in perspective. First of all, you mention the oft-repeated incorrect stat of 2 wins in 27 years. English teams were banned in Europe for the first 4 seasons of Ferguson's time at United so it's actually 2 wins in 23 years.

Second, I don't know if you remember but in the nineties following the ban English football was totally off the pace in Europe. United were the only English team to even get as far as the quarter finals for the entire decade and even then only towards the end of the decade. In this context I would say that Ferguson's actually massively over-achieved in Europe for the first 15 years with United. The 2000s are more debatable I suppose, but is 1 win and 3 finals in 13 years really so bad?  And the 2 finals they did lose were against (in)arguably the greatest team ever.

Third, the old European cup was a lot easier to win than the champion's league (although more difficult to qualify for). Have a look at the teams Paisley's Liverpool beat along the way to winning their 3: a final against Brugge for example, and a semi against Zurich.

I wonder who we'll be getting to replace him. I can't imagine Utd without him.

So it's looking increasingly like Moyes. Paddy power have him at 1/7 with Mourinho at 4/1. I suppose he's a good choice, he's done a fantastic job at Everton but it's a big leap up in terms of expectations, both of success and quality of football. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with a bit of money but I can't help being disappointed. Would have liked someone more exciting like Mourinho, Klopp or De Boer. Ah well.

Edit: It changed to 1/12 for Moyes in the time I took to write that, with Mourinho at 6/1.