By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here went to University?

Did you go to University?

Yes 139 79.43%

No 17 9.71%

I want to in the future 19 10.86%

Total:175

I attended community college, and I graduate in about two weeks from now. I applied for a University, and got accepted for the Fall so i'm pretty excited about that.

Around the Network

Will go next year!

My country holds a national exam for students. If I'm among the top scores, they'll pay me college in the US! The scores can't come soon enough.

Hopefully I get the scholarship so I can go to MIT or Stanford.

Graduated from university last May. Good luck.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soleron said:
walsufnir said:
Soleron said:
walsufnir said:
dsgrue3 said:
What are you planning to do with history? I'd argue that's one of the worst things to study UNLESS you want to teach.

perhaps he likes it? doint it for fun? is generally interested in it? that should be the main purpose of studying.

Not when it's £27,000 tuition plus near-London living expenses plus three years of your life not spent doing something towards your career.

Why should someone study anything he doesn't like? Especially if it is that expansive. What if after graduation you realize that you won't like the jobs you will get with your education? Perhaps it's not really "fun" but studying something you are not interested in makes no sense to me.

Well, naturally the jobs available right now are those that people don't "like" doing. You've got to accept that your job is not your choice and you get free time outside of work hours to do those likes. 

I did Physics, which I "liked", but there's no jobs and I wish I'd done something I was good at but hated like Engineering.

Totally agree. When I was younger  in high school and college I first wanted to be a football player, but then I asked myself, am I the best in my team? if yes, am I the best in my school? if yes am I the best in my league? and slowly after asing each round of questions you realise that there is a point you stop at being that good top compete at a professional level.

Most my highschool days I did units liek art, music, woodwork and metal work as it got me out of class haha. BUt in the end I realised even though I was good at art, not many artists get paid well. Same for music, I played the trumpet was great at it, but at the same time, how many famous trumpet players are there which make money?

Eventually you can say I grew up and switched my focus to sciences and mathamatics. 

I ended up going into engineering because the fact was there is a high demand for them.  It was hard, it was long hours but the rewards are there

I know a lot of people who do the wrong degree (not even gonna mention the usless ones) like account and to some extent law, and still struggle to find jobs as the demand is low and there are many graduates in these fields.

What I also found out is most office jobs, do not require a degree, most the managers at my work, started out as field staff and worked their way up with no university training whatsoever. Basically to get one of these jobs you start at the bottom and social network your way up the ladder. 

I'm currently on the University, if everything goes well I should graduate mid next year!

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

Graduated. It was a waste of money. Or rather, most of the classes were worthless. You're really just paying for access and networking, so focus most of your time on that.

Degree in International Relations. Not in a career relevant job (or one i enjoy, but the lack of enjoyment is largely due to the bizarre hours they want me to work, while the gig itself is pretty okay), but the degree certainly helps.

Although i want to try for a phD, another nice thing about having a job, i can afford all those tests and ludicrous application fees :/

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Akvod said:
Graduated. It was a waste of money. Or rather, most of the classes were worthless. You're really just paying for access and networking, so focus most of your time on that.

I find that the people who think that way aren't taking an open mind.

Did i think that being required to take three philosophy and three theology classes before i graduated would be anything short of a train wreck? No, but i'm glad as hell that i took those classes.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

i graduated 1 week ago, i loved the experience even though i developed an anxiety disorder

Why do you call it University?