By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here went to University?

Did you go to University?

Yes 139 79.43%

No 17 9.71%

I want to in the future 19 10.86%

Total:175
the2real4mafol said:

What university is this? you never said where you go. and what's to say History degrees are like that everywhere?

Cambridge. And because it's Cambridge it HAS to be easier elsewhere, that's the entire point. She was admitted with A*A*AA if I recall.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
the2real4mafol said:
walsufnir said:
the2real4mafol said:
S.Peelman said:
Yes.

Just mere weeks away from graduating my Master track in Architecture (for the Master of Science degree). Finally, after 8 long years, too bad I'll be graduating in a time no-one wants to build buildings .

I attend the Delft University of Technology here in the Netherlands, which is pretty much the equivalent of the MIT in Europe.

Good luck in your studies!

I suggest moving to somewhere in Asia, your skills will be needed.

But how come your degree took so long? Maybe it's different in the Netherlands, but a degree and a masters should only take 4 years.

Oh, there are soo many things that can prolong your studying... I could name a few ;) Where I studied at standard period of study was 9 semesters. The average amount of semesters until students graduated was at about 15 semesters :D

5 years? I don't really understand semesters, (is it 2 or 3 a year?)

it is  2. this was to get a diploma.

That is quite a long time then, 4 and a half to 7 and a half years. As you as you enjoyed it don't matter how long it is

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I'm going to university right now. University of Montreal.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

the2real4mafol said:
walsufnir said:
the2real4mafol said:
walsufnir said:
the2real4mafol said:
S.Peelman said:
Yes.

Just mere weeks away from graduating my Master track in Architecture (for the Master of Science degree). Finally, after 8 long years, too bad I'll be graduating in a time no-one wants to build buildings .

I attend the Delft University of Technology here in the Netherlands, which is pretty much the equivalent of the MIT in Europe.

But how come your degree took so long? Maybe it's different in the Netherlands, but a degree and a masters should only take 4 years.

Oh, there are soo many things that can prolong your studying... I could name a few ;) Where I studied at standard period of study was 9 semesters. The average amount of semesters until students graduated was at about 15 semesters :D

5 years? I don't really understand semesters, (is it 2 or 3 a year?)

it is  2. this was to get a diploma.

That is quite a long time then, 4 and a half to 7 and a half years. As you as you enjoyed it don't matter how long it is

as I said it is or  was a little bit different in Germany. but the diploma degree was internationally well received. also computer science is not the easiest field of study.

I've got about 6 months to decide what to do and where to go. A lot of pressure.

I guess I plan on going to University.

Around the Network

i went to one year at Mizzou, studied mechanical engineering, and then switched to economics. then I joined the Marine corps. I'll probably go back to school in a couple years, because I want to become an officer. And the Military will pay for my education.

Soleron said:
the2real4mafol said:

What university is this? you never said where you go. and what's to say History degrees are like that everywhere?

Cambridge. And because it's Cambridge it HAS to be easier elsewhere, that's the entire point. She was admitted with A*A*AA if I recall.

Good for her, but it still don't mean all history degrees are the same or taught the same (there is no way lectures aren't compulsory, that makes no sense) . Cambridge just seems to be a university brand name (like the other top universities) more than anything, don't mean they are necessarily good for the working world. Just look at the failure of this government, most of the cabinet seemed to come from Cambridge (or Oxford for that matter) and they are ignorant baffoons. Cambridge and Oxford just seem to be there as elitist clubs for the future super rich rather than as world leading universities. This is just how i see it  

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

the2real4mafol said:
Soleron said:
the2real4mafol said:

Good for her, but it still don't mean all history degrees are the same or taught the same (there is no way lectures aren't compulsory, that makes no sense) . Cambridge just seems to be a university brand name (like the other top universities) more than anything, don't mean they are necessarily good for the working world. Just look at the failure of this government, most of the cabinet seemed to come from Cambridge (or Oxford for that matter) and they are ignorant baffoons. Cambridge and Oxford just seem to be there as elitist clubs for the future super rich rather than as world leading universities. This is just how i see it  

Believe me I am super disillusioned with Cambridge and how badly it's organised and how little it's done for me, but I'd never say that.

I seriously think you'll regret it and have a hard time finding a job. I hope I'm wrong and you end up in a job you love. I regret the choice of degree and university I made weren't practical enough.

spurgeonryan said:
I went to community college because my parents were poor and I slacked off in school. then went to online college later on.

Don't the local government help you in anyway?. In the UK, tuition fees may be £9000 a year but we don't have to pay it up front and we also get student loans and grants to help us with our study. 

the2real4mafol said:
S.Peelman said:
Yes.

A lot of students from my University move to Asia, that's true. There's also a lot of Asian students attending it to take the knowledge home. Personally I'm too attached to my own country though .

It took a long time, I know, too long. I'm glad it'll be over soon.

Usually in Europe (at most studies and faculties including mine, it can be different however), the Bachelor's Degree at a regular University would be attained in 3 years, after that you will graduate with a Master's Degree in an additional 2 years if you choose to. That's 5 years total for a normal study.

However, my high school education was not on a level high enough to be admitted to University right away, which meant I had to attend what's called a 'Hoge School'. There's basically three levels; a lower level, middle and upper level. I had the middle. To add to the confusion, 'Hoge School' indeed literally translates to 'High School', but it's not a high school. There's a weird inconsistency which makes it difficult talking about this when translating the terms for the different levels of schools, in English at least. It's actually somewhat the equivalent of a 'college' or undergraduate school. That took 2 years where I studied Structural Engineering. Having completed the introductory courses (I didn't have to graduate that school per se), or ''propaedeutics' as it's called, I was admitted at the Delft University. I completed my Bachelor's in the 3 years time that it minimally takes. I started my Master's right after, however half-way trough the first year a couple of long running family problems culminated into an all out tragedy. I fell behind. I decided to take it slow for a year, finish the things I didn't the year prior and to get my head straight. This means that my Master's, if I actually do graduate in a couple of weeks, has also lasted 3 years.

So, a complicated story, but I hope I'm clear at least; 2 years of college, 3 years Bachelor's, 3 years Master equals 8 years .