By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 is going to be killer.

mutantclown said:
If you're counting on Kinect features to get you excited...oh my....I pity you.

Comments like this that derail the thread. 

Around the Network
Wright said:
Darth Tigris said:

I'm looking for new experiences. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really hope these next gen consoles cause devs to be more creative than they have been this gen ...

I think the seventh generation of gaming has been both the worst and the best, creatively speaking. There have been some gems here and there unmatched in gaming history.

Really? I'd say the NES generation was FAR more innovative. I mean, that's when games like Mario and Zelda were INVENTED. You can't compete with "first".

Dr.JimmyRustles said:
Perfect dark would be nothing but a shell of its former self, sadly like all of Rarewares Ips.

What does this even mean?

Few of the Rare IPs have actually been touched. Perfect Dark Zero was an okay shooter in 2005 and Banjo Nuts & Bolts was actually a lot of fun.

You are under the illusion Rare IPs have been used to make a ton of crappy games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Michael-5 said:
Jega said:

Now Imagine all those graphics in the following games:

Halo 5  - Another Halo?

Gears of war 4  - Not interested after all the Locust die in 3

Perfect Dark 2 - Not Announced, but after the lackluster Perfect Dark Zero, does anyone care?

Forza 5 - Hopefully not in 2013, I still have to beat FM4 and Horizon, I'm saturated.

Respawn Game  - Childrens Company

Ryse - Wasn't this suppose to be a 360 game? I'm not getting excited twice, lets see a release date first

and other unanounced games.

Now Imagine all those games having Kinect integration of some sort, where you use your voice or certain gestures for in-game commands.  - I know, scary

Imagine being able to talk to NPC's and watching them listen to you or even react in a way you never thought they would. - I'd rather not talk to AI, and doesn't Kinect only recognize a few hundred words?

Imagine playing with the new xbox controller and being able to seamlessly chat or video chat with friends through skype and even switching between friends  - Why would I video chat while playing a game? Can I call my friends cell phone, no, so this is pointless.

Anyone that thinks Microsoft will drop the ball, haven't been paying attention.

I have been, and it's all sequels and Kinect. I'm sick of sequels, I don't want to play a "new" game from the same series every couple years, or even every year (in the case of Halo). I want to play something different every year, and at minumum, come back to the same game in 3 years. This way there can actually be some differences between iterations (I think Forza 4 was a step backward, that's how quick it was developed).

As for Kinect, I really don't care. Only a handful of Wii games really utilized the Wii-mote to enhance gameplay (Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 come to mind), and the rest were conventional games. With PS4 a mirror system to the 720, most games will not be designed from the ground up to enhance gameplay using Kinect, and no driving without a wheel, with autobrake/gas is not "enhancing" Forza.

---

That's my 2 cents as a 360 owner. Loved the system for 4-5 years, then got tired of the massive amount of sequels, XBLG, sudden abandonment of JRPG exclusives, and the random shift to Kinect games which requires an add on, which costs nearly as much as the system.

Dude, cover up spoilers. Please.

Mr Puggsly said:
Dr.JimmyRustles said:
Perfect dark would be nothing but a shell of its former self, sadly like all of Rarewares Ips.

Few of the Rare IPs have actually been touched. Perfect Dark Zero was an okay shooter in 2005 and Banjo Nuts & Bolts was actually a lot of fun.

You are under the illusion Rare IPs have been used to make a ton of crappy games.

I agree. Perfect Dark Zero was a pretty good game. And Nuts & Bolts was an excellent game, even if it moved away from the traditional Banjo-Kazooie formula.

But there's no denying that the creative talent at Rare has diminished over the last ten years. I really want to see some of the Rare IPs reappear, but I don't know if I trust the current Rare to do them justice.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Dr.JimmyRustles said:

I agree. Perfect Dark Zero was a pretty good game. And Nuts & Bolts was an excellent game, even if it moved away from the traditional Banjo-Kazooie formula.

But there's no denying that the creative talent at Rare has diminished over the last ten years. I really want to see some of the Rare IPs reappear, but I don't know if I trust the current Rare to do them justice.

Here's the thing, Rare had to change because there is now little demand for what made them successful. Especially not on Xbox.

Rare's speciaty was platformers that appealed to casual audiences. But that genre doesn't sell well  on the 360 or even PS3. Rare did have some popular shooters on the N64, but do we really want another Rare shooter? That's a flooded market.

Rare had to do something really unique to appeal to the Xbox audience. That was Kinect Sports. Love it or hate it, one of their best selling games ever.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Here's the thing, Rare had to change because there is now little demand for what made them successful. Especially not on Xbox.

Rare's speciaty was platformers that appealed to casual audiences. But that genre doesn't sell well  on the 360 or even PS3. Rare did have some popular shooters on the N64, but do we really want another Rare shooter? That's a flooded market.

Rare had to do something really unique to appeal to the Xbox audience. That was Kinect Sports. Love it or hate it, one of their best selling games ever.

I respectfully disagree about the line about platformers that appealed to casual audiences. Rare's platformers -- some of the best ever made -- appealed to people who like great games.

I also disagree about the reason for Rare's decline. It's not because of a changing marketplace. It's because the talent left and Microsoft mismanaged the studio.

It will lessor then the PS4, but it will still be a worthy successor to the 360. My prediction.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I respectfully disagree about the line about platformers that appealed to casual audiences. Rare's platformers -- some of the best ever made -- appealed to people who like great games.

I also disagree about the reason for Rare's decline. It's not because of a changing marketplace. It's because the talent left and Microsoft mismanaged the studio.

1. Those were some of the best games ever made in the 90s perhaps. Platformers like we saw in the 90s don't do well on the Xbox or PS3. Go look at the top selling games on those platforms if you don't believe me.

2. You're denying the simple fact the Xbox audience isn't the same as the Nintendo audience. You can't prove if that talent stayed with Rare they would have created games that sell well on Xbox. Kameo was an example of how much Xbox users care about platformers.

So unless you can somehow prove Xbox users care about the type of games Rare created in the 90s, your arguements really hold no water. Rare changed because are trying to appeal to different audience. And their most recent work was a massive success.

Recently Completed

nnodley said:
binary solo said:
nnodley said:
1. We don't actually know what Kinect 2 is capable of.

2. You have the right to think nexbox will be awesome, but it hasn't been announced and know nothing about it.

3. Also, wouldn't being able to dynamically talk to NPC's be very very demanding on the console specs and that won't be present, if at all probably, for a long while, so I don't know why you brought it up.

4. There may be some people who thought MS has dropped the ball on the nexbox, but you can't say that they haven't either because it's not even been announced.

I would rather see this kind of thread when there is actually stuff that is confirmed.

Milo?

Wasn't that using the Kinect 1 though?  Kinect 2.0 will obviously be capabe of more than the first one, but we still don't know anything about it.

Milo didn't happen on Kinect 1.0 because either Kinect 1.0 or Xbox360, or both, wasn't really powerful enough to achieve what was being touted for Milo. Whether that's because the final Kinect specs were a bit gimped compared to the original concept in order to put a reasonably priced device on the market or that even the tech in the original concept product wasn't up to it I don't know. Perhaps Nextbox and Kinect 2.0 will be able to manage it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix