By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 is going to be killer.

binary solo said:
nnodley said:
1. We don't actually know what Kinect 2 is capable of.

2. You have the right to think nexbox will be awesome, but it hasn't been announced and know nothing about it.

3. Also, wouldn't being able to dynamically talk to NPC's be very very demanding on the console specs and that won't be present, if at all probably, for a long while, so I don't know why you brought it up.

4. There may be some people who thought MS has dropped the ball on the nexbox, but you can't say that they haven't either because it's not even been announced.

I would rather see this kind of thread when there is actually stuff that is confirmed.

Milo?

Ew bad example.  I'm pretty sure Milo turned out to be a completely scripted fake demo.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
nnodley said:
binary solo said:
nnodley said:
1. We don't actually know what Kinect 2 is capable of.

2. You have the right to think nexbox will be awesome, but it hasn't been announced and know nothing about it.

3. Also, wouldn't being able to dynamically talk to NPC's be very very demanding on the console specs and that won't be present, if at all probably, for a long while, so I don't know why you brought it up.

4. There may be some people who thought MS has dropped the ball on the nexbox, but you can't say that they haven't either because it's not even been announced.

I would rather see this kind of thread when there is actually stuff that is confirmed.

Milo?

Wasn't that using the Kinect 1 though?  Kinect 2.0 will obviously be capabe of more than the first one, but we still don't know anything about it.

Milo didn't happen on Kinect 1.0 because either Kinect 1.0 or Xbox360, or both, wasn't really powerful enough to achieve what was being touted for Milo. Whether that's because the final Kinect specs were a bit gimped compared to the original concept in order to put a reasonably priced device on the market or that even the tech in the original concept product wasn't up to it I don't know. Perhaps Nextbox and Kinect 2.0 will be able to manage it.

Excuses, excuses.  Doesn't change the fact that they pretty much lied about what kinect was capable of.

Mr Puggsly said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I respectfully disagree about the line about platformers that appealed to casual audiences. Rare's platformers -- some of the best ever made -- appealed to people who like great games.

I also disagree about the reason for Rare's decline. It's not because of a changing marketplace. It's because the talent left and Microsoft mismanaged the studio.

1. Those were some of the best games ever made in the 90s perhaps. Platformers like we saw in the 90s don't do well on the Xbox or PS3. Go look at the top selling games on those platforms if you don't believe me.

2. You're denying the simple fact the Xbox audience isn't the same as the Nintendo audience. You can't prove if that talent stayed with Rare they would have created games that sell well on Xbox. Kameo was an example of how much Xbox users care about platformers.

So unless you can somehow prove Xbox users care about the type of games Rare created in the 90s, your arguements really hold no water. Rare changed because are trying to appeal to different audience. And their most recent work was a massive success.

Well, first of all, Kameo isn't a platform game. And it's not a very good game.

Second of all, that's specious logic. Platform games like the ones Rare made in the 90s (by the way, it made racing, fighting, shooting, and other action games, too) don't exist on the Xbox 360 or PS3 (apart from HD ports), so we don't know how well they would do if properly advertised and supported.

Third of all, you seem to be referencing arguments I never made, i.e., Xbox users care about the types of games Rare created in the 90s. All I said was that I don't trust Rare to make great games anymore, and that Rare's decline has more to do with its top employees leaving and with Microsoft mismanaging the studio.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Third of all, you seem to be referencing arguments I never made, i.e., Xbox users care about the types of games Rare created in the 90s. All I said was that I don't trust Rare to make great games anymore, and that Rare's decline has more to do with its top employees leaving and with Microsoft mismanaging the studio.

This Piñata here disagrees with you:

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Second of all, that's specious logic. Platform games like the ones Rare made in the 90s (by the way, it made racing, fighting, shooting, and other action games, too) don't exist on the Xbox 360 or PS3 (apart from HD ports), so we don't know how well they would do if properly advertised and supported.

Not all of Rare's games were particularly good, yet many of them had more success than Kameo because of the Nintendo audience. I feel Kameo could have been much more successful if sold to the Nintendo audience.

Even if MS properly advertised and supported Rare games to your liking, you presume MS could create an audience we haven't really seen on the Xbox.

It was a lot easier for Rare to make great games in the 90s when there was less competition and they knew how to make games the NIntendo audience loved.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I'm very optimistic for Ryse, could be something great I've never experienced before.

Mr Puggsly said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Not all of Rare's games were particularly good, yet many of them had more success than Kameo because of the Nintendo audience. I feel Kameo could have been much more successful if sold to the Nintendo audience.

Even if MS properly advertised and supported Rare games to your liking, you presume MS could create an audience we haven't really seen on the Xbox.

It was a lot easier for Rare to make great games in the 90s when there was less competition and they knew how to make games the NIntendo audience loved.

I don't think it's fair to compare GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing, Killer Instinct, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Blast Corps, etc. to Kameo. All of those games from the 1990s are amazing; some are masterworks. Kameo is an above-average action-adventure game.

I do agree Kameo would have been more successful on Gamecube, for example, instead of Xbox 360. But not because the audiences are so radically different, but because Nintendo would have supported the project and steered Rare in the right direction.

Finally, I don't think competition or audience had anything to do with Rare's success in the 1990s. Rare had a group of supremely talented designers, programmers, artists, and composers. It used that talent and the IPs it borrowed from Nintendo to create some of the best software this medium has ever seen.

Has the name "XBOX 720" been confirmed yet or is that still just what people call it online? I don't like it but it's far better than "Nextbox". Not that "Playstation 4" is so creative. Heck, WiiU is even worse. I guess I hate the names of all the consoles lol. I think the new XBOX is going to be awesome but I usually only get 1 console per gen and I'd more than likely stick to Sony. I'm imagining XBOX's hardware to surpass Sony's when they make the announcement.

HipHopGodd said:
Has the name "XBOX 720" been confirmed yet or is that still just what people call it online? I don't like it but it's far better than "Nextbox". Not that "Playstation 4" is so creative. Heck, WiiU is even worse. I guess I hate the names of all the consoles lol. I think the new XBOX is going to be awesome but I usually only get 1 console per gen and I'd more than likely stick to Sony. I'm imagining XBOX's hardware to surpass Sony's when they make the announcement.

Dreamcast is a pretty cool name for a console.

Wright said:
HipHopGodd said:

Dreamcast is a pretty cool name for a console.

Yeah, so I "Genesis". Seems Sega has had some cool names for consoles. But I'll leave it at that because I don't want to derail the thread.