Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros. 24 10.17%

Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong 10 4.24%

Mario, Zelda and Kirby 2 0.85%

Something else 11 4.66%

I'm gonna go hide in a corner now 8 3.39%

Total:236

Animal Crossing is making it's way up

Around the Network

Metroid is probably around the same tier as Starfox. Below games like Kirby, Smash, and Animal Crossing, but above games like F-Zero and Pikmin.

Unlike Starfox though, it isn't really a true Nintendo-style game. It is essentially a Nintendo-made game created to appeal to fans of Xbox style games. It is not a true core-Nintendo game like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, or Donkey Kong.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Metroid is probably around the same tier as Starfox. Below games like Kirby, Smash, and Animal Crossing, but above games like F-Zero and Pikmin.

Unlike Starfox though, it isn't really a true Nintendo-style game. It is essentially a Nintendo-made game created to appeal to fans of Xbox style games. It is not a true core-Nintendo game like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, or Donkey Kong.

Woah there.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

AndrewWK said:
I actually asked this myself. I mean Pokémon should be one of the big three not Metroid.

I like your Ninja Turtles

It's not about sales, at least not to me. It's about quality.

Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid are the three best Nintendo franchises. Heck, I would argue they're the three best franchises period.

The original NES versions of those three series were amazing, ground-breaking, hugely influential games. The games that followed -- Super Metroid, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy, etc. -- are some of the best games ever made.

Kirby and Donkey Kong also have long histories with Nintendo, but those games never reached the level of greatness achieved by the "big three."

Around the Network

Nintendo's three most iconic franchises. That's all.

@Jumping: I think you might need to educate yourself a little more about Metroid.

Its all about legacy. Big three I imagine was created in the Super Nintendo era based on NES and SNES games.

Thats why it is those 3. However, these days I would agree Metroid is nowhere near as iconic.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
Its all about legacy. Big three I imagine was created in the Super Nintendo era based on NES and SNES games.

Thats why it is those 3. However, these days I would agree Metroid is nowhere near as iconic.

Yeah, Super Smash Bros. has definately taken its place on the home consoles. On handhelds Pokemon is indefinitely more popular.

Metroid fell off it's pedestal, true (if it was ever on one in the first place), but it's still part of the 'Big Three' mainly because of tradition. Those three were the first. Sure Donkey Kong is even older, and Mario is 'just' a spinoff to it, but DK was almost non-existant in the NES age.

(Super) Mario (Bros.), Zelda and Metroid were first released in a short time-span at the start of the NES's life. The first wave if you will. The three were Nintendo's different 'paths' of gameplay. Mario the skillful linear platform game, Zelda the puzzle-solving adventure game, Metroid the fast-paced action game. They are vastly different in their foundation, which made them unique and their character's iconic.

S.Peelman said:
Metroid fell off it's pedestal, true (if it was ever on one in the first place), but it's still part of the 'Big Three' mainly because of tradition. Those three were the first. Sure Donkey Kong is even older, and Mario is 'just' a spinoff to it, but DK was almost non-existant in the NES age.

(Super) Mario (Bros.), Zelda and Metroid were first released in a short time-span at the start of the NES's life. The first wave if you will. The three were Nintendo's different 'paths' of gameplay. Mario the skillful linear platform game, Zelda the puzzle-solving adventure game, Metroid the fast-paced action game. They are vastly different in their foundation, which made them unique and their character's iconic.

I think people have a lot of misunderstandings here.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)