Mario, Zelda and Metroid 93 39.41%

Mario, Zelda and Pokemon 88 37.29%

Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros. 24 10.17%

Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong 10 4.24%

Mario, Zelda and Kirby 2 0.85%

Something else 11 4.66%

I'm gonna go hide in a corner now 8 3.39%

Total:236

I think the reason people dismiss Pokemon becuse A. it's considered a "kids" game and most of you weren't kids when it came out and B. Pokemon is bigger than just a video game. It's also a TV show, trading card game, manga, and Toy franchise. In the grand scheme of things Pokemon is bigger than Mario, Zelda and Metroid combined whether you like it or not.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Around the Network

Mario 1985, Zelda 1986 and Metorid 1986 all on NES

They were the FIRST big 3 and are still being made. Things like PokeMon and Kirby came much later. Donkey Kong was more of an arcade hit and wasn't a huge deal on consoles until it was rebooted in 1994.

I guess it's more like the big 4: Super Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash Bros

The big three is about quality. Mario, Zelda and Metroid are probably the critically most acclaimed franchises around. Metroid is huge among fanatic gamers.

axumblade said:
Metrium said:
axumblade said:
Metrium said:
Because they are the 3 most popular ''original'' games from Nintendo. By ''original'' I mean they started almost when everything started, with the NES. They are the 3 longest running franchise, that are all 3 totaly different style of gameplay and universe. Meanwhile DK's universe can be related to Mario's, but Zelda/Metroid/Mario has nothing in comon except with few small clever easter eggs a la Link's Awakening.

Technically, Kirby has sold about 2 times as many as the Metroid franchise, the games come out more frequently, and the series originates on the same system that the other 3 titles mentioned came from...

@ISAWYOSHI, the problem with counting Pokemon is that the big 3 are signified by their mascotlike characters. We have Pikachu, but really there are too many Pokemon for us to just sit down and say "Well, Pikachu IS Pokemon's Mascot."

True, but Kirby's Adventure came out at the very end of the NES's lifespan, I think the SNES was already out at the time. Unless I'm wrong, Kirby is not as old as Metroid (it's close tho). Also Kirby games never had the budget of Metroid games, partly explaining why kirby games are more frequent. But w/o a doubt, if we had to make a top4, Kirby would be the fourth in my list, the problem with Pokémon is that Nintendo don't have 100% control over the IP and it did'nt originate from the NES like the other4.

I want to say it was a 6 year difference in release. But also if you want to get technical Kirby,got 20 year anniversary special edition and Metroid didn't get anything for it (but then again, Nintendo are weird about the anniversaries anyway...)

Come to think of it the last three Nintendo games that got to celebrate their 20 or 25 anniversary were Mario, Zelda & Kirby but no Metroid which is older than Kirby and no Star Fox or F-Zero which are just as old as Kirby.

Both Kirby & Metroid games usually sell like 1 million and end up being good if not great games but when it comes to fanbase Metroid just can't keep up. And after Other M which got tons of Metroid fans outraged i guess Nintendo was afraid to throw a party after that ignoring other great games like Trilogy and Super Metroid, which ultimately shows how much faith Nintendo has in Metroid.

Around the Network

I think you should modify your poll, since Zelda isn't a sales beast anymore. You should have done Mario and Pokemon for the main 2 and then the third big franchise.
Anyways , I went for Mario, Zelda, Pokemon.. it's leading now by the way, Metroid is in tight race with it.

They will celebrate Super Metroids 20th anniversary, Super Metroid is on the Famicom promotion for a reason.....aaaaaand the 0,3 offer ends on the last day of E3 (+Metroid Blast in Nintendoland)
We will get our Metroid fix !

After reading this thread, all I have to say is that nintendo has some really awesome franchises:) Most franchises do not last longer than 1-2 generations before they either go 3rd party, dip in quality, or stop selling as well. I find it amazing that so many franchises from nintendo are able to stand the test of time.

Something...Something...Games...Something

hsrob said:
Nintendo's three most iconic franchises. That's all.

@Jumping: I think you might need to educate yourself a little more about Metroid.

Metroid might be iconic to nintendo fans and fans of M$ and Sony that are particullary interested in games, but outside of that there ain't many that knows about Metroid, or (as I said earlier) that Samus is a woman. And you really think Metroid is more iconic than Pokemon?

Voted Kirby, mainly in terms of popularity, stand alone nature and game volume.

It would be Pokemon, except Nintendo doesn't own that outright due to GameFreak and the Pokemon Company. So the next franchise with the versatility and games across all Nintendo platforms is Kirby.

I love Metriod myself, but it is obvious that Nintendo doesn't believe it to be part of a big 3 of franchises they make money off of. Nor is it one they produce games for at a steady clip.