By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Lost The Console War In North America.

TruckOSaurus said:
Lawlight said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:

Why would I have meant Nintendo?

Because Nintendo won the consoles war the seventh gen.

How could they have won when they dropped out of the race and the race is still ongoing?

Last week, I ran against Usain Bolt and he crossed the finish line way ahead of me. He stopped and sat on a bench but I kept running until I reached the finish line. Does this mean I won?

Poor, poor analogy. The race has a fixed target - 100m, 200m, etc. A console race doesn't. Anything else to say?

Not really because it would come down to the age old debate about when a console generation ends which we all know differs from person to person.

Not really. How can a person decide when a console generation ends? And what does it matter when a generation ends? The metric is simple - the console that sells the most is the winner of that gen.

Around the Network
veritaz said:

The company itself would not consider it yes, but the consumers are not the company so they rely on other subjective things to find a winner. Things such as selling the most consoles, selling the most in a shorter time or selling the most with a higher price point. Making the most money in no way makes a certain console win for the consumer.

Mmmhmmm... well Sony is not a winner of the 7th gen in profit or units sold.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Jega said:

The Xbox 360 has a 7 Million lead over the PS3 in North America. Why did Playstation lose in North America? Can Sony recover with PS4?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars

Worldwide sales figures

Overall, the Wii outsold its competitors worldwide.

1. Wii – 99.84 million as of 31 March 2013 (2013-03-31)[8]
  2. PlayStation 370 million as of 4 November 2012 (2012-11-04)[54] (IDC January 2013 estimate: "about 77 million")[55][56]
  3. Xbox 360 – 69 million as of 31 December 2012 (2012-12-31)[57]

Japan

1. Wii – 12,710,000 as of 31 March 2013 (2013-03-31)[8]
  2. PlayStation 3 – 6,341,950 as of 1 April 2011 (2011-04-01)[58]
  3. Xbox 360 – 1,448,665 as of 1 April 2011 (2011-04-01)[58]

Europe

1. Wii – 24.9 million as of December 2010[59]
  2. PlayStation 3 – 19.7 million as of December 2010[59]
  3. Xbox 360 – 13.7 million as of December 2010[59]

United States

1. Wii – 30 million as of 10 August 2010 (2010-08-10)[60]
  2. Xbox 360 – 18.7 million as of 31 December 2009 (2009-12-31)[61]
  3. PlayStation 3 - nearly 12 million as of 14 April 2010 (2010-04-14)[62]

Your thread title should be, "Microsoft and SONY lost the console war in North America."

Or are you just referring to HD consoles?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:

Don't forget that this year is different. There's something at the last quarter of this one.

You're right - the PS3 might ship 11M instead of  13M. Unless, of course, the PS3 gets a price drop, which is very likely. So, I'd say sales will be stable.

Don't forget the console incoming...

More than easily offset by a price drop. I'm sure you realise that the PS3 is still expensive for a system this far in its lifecycle and that price drop will substantially boost sales. I mean, what do you think? That PS3s will stop selling the day the PS4 releases?

No, but PS4's first year will hurt Ps3's sales deeply.

As I said, more than easily offset by a price drop. Can I ask - how many millions do you think the PS3 will sell after the PS4 comes out?

Lawlight said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Not really because it would come down to the age old debate about when a console generation ends which we all know differs from person to person.

Not really. How can a person decide when a console generation ends? And what does it matter when a generation ends? The metric is simple - the console that sells the most is the winner of that gen.

So you're saying Nintendo is currently the winner of this gen. Good, we agree.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:

Don't forget that this year is different. There's something at the last quarter of this one.

You're right - the PS3 might ship 11M instead of  13M. Unless, of course, the PS3 gets a price drop, which is very likely. So, I'd say sales will be stable.

More than easily offset by a price drop. I'm sure you realise that the PS3 is still expensive for a system this far in its lifecycle and that price drop will substantially boost sales. I mean, what do you think? That PS3s will stop selling the day the PS4 releases?

As I said, more than easily offset by a price drop. Can I ask - how many millions do you think the PS3 will sell after the PS4 comes out?

Not more than 20 million units, that's what I think.

TruckOSaurus said:
Lawlight said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'll say it again - how can there be a winner when the race isn't over?

Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:

Why not? The PS2 sold something like 50M after the PS3 launched.

Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:

Why not? The PS2 sold something like 50M after the PS3 launched.

Yes, and when PS2 was around, Sony was the King around the place. The Ps3 however has not reached the power its predecessor had - in terms of sales and marketing -. I see it lagging behind the Wii, no matter what situation is present. Think also that the Wii keep selling units.

Lawlight said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Lawlight said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'll say it again - how can there be a winner when the race isn't over?

That's why I said it's currently the winner until someone passes it.

Signature goes here!