By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Lost The Console War In North America.

Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:

The Xbox360 is less than 23M behind (so PS3 is probably even less). For, the PS3, is 23M such a big gap? With new platforms coming, PS3 will still continue to sell.

And irrespective of what you say, the winner is the one which sells the most consoles. Simple logic tells us that that will be the PS3.

I don't see the logic that simple, considering they strugge to sell like 500k units per month, and that PS4 is almost here.

15.6m PS3 + PS2 weres sold in 2012. That's an average of more than 1M per month over the year. Can I ask where you got your numbers from?

Checking VGChartz and other sites, and using maths to match everything correctly. Of course you are not taking in consideration several variables, such as holidays boosts, Christmas boosts and other marketing campaings they can create during the whole year. I stand still with my numbers.

I still don't understand how you came to the 500k units per month number. Is that over a year or just this year?

Oh, oh,! Right, I'm referring purely on this year.

Well, you seem to be aware that almost half of the sales in a year occur in the last quarter of the calendar year. So, monthly arrange for the first few months doesn't really matter.

Don't forget that this year is different. There's something at the last quarter of this one.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Lawlight said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Lawlight said:

The Xbox360 is less than 23M behind (so PS3 is probably even less). For, the PS3, is 23M such a big gap? With new platforms coming, PS3 will still continue to sell.

And irrespective of what you say, the winner is the one which sells the most consoles. Simple logic tells us that that will be the PS3.

PS3 will continue to sell, but sales were already down significantly in 2012 by millions. Now with consoles coming... well you see what's happening.

Since companies rely on profits, I don't think a massive financial disaster can be a winner. But hey, that's just logic I'm using.

Sales were significantly down in 2012? Where did you get your numbers from? I can tell you right now that your numbers are incorrect.

Global Hardware by Platform 2011

Platform Yearly (change) Total
PS3 14,119,093 (+2%) 60,507,735
X360 13,808,365 (+4%) 63,769,444
3DS 13,250,062 (++4%) 13,250,062
Wii 11,567,105 (-33%) 93,663,523
DS 8,821,987 (-57%) 150,123,778
PSP 7,326,647 (-21%) 72,859,480
PSV 481,573 (-21%) 481,573
Total 69,374,832(-7%)  

Global Hardware by Platform 2012

Platform Yearly (change) Total
3DS 14,319,124 (+8%) 27,569,186
PS3 11,277,199 (-20%) 71,784,934
X360 9,806,002 (-29%) 73,575,446
Wii 5,015,614 (-57%) 98,679,137
PSV 3,454,534 (+617%) 3,936,107
DS 3,415,071 (-61%) 153,538,849
PSP 2,919,408 (-60%) 75,778,888
WiiU 2,256,509 (-60%) 2,256,509
Total 52,463,461(-24%)  

Either VGChartz is way wrong or sales are down. I'm thinking that number you posted of combined PS2 and PS3 sales was shipped numbers.

When we have official numbers, we should use official numbers. VGChartz is good for rough estimates, not for exact numbers. And yes, that 15.6M are shipped numbers for PS3 + PS2 in 2012. PS2 sold at most a couple of million in 2012 which leaves PS3 with about 13M in 2012.

Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:

I don't see the logic that simple, considering they strugge to sell like 500k units per month, and that PS4 is almost here.

15.6m PS3 + PS2 weres sold in 2012. That's an average of more than 1M per month over the year. Can I ask where you got your numbers from?

Checking VGChartz and other sites, and using maths to match everything correctly. Of course you are not taking in consideration several variables, such as holidays boosts, Christmas boosts and other marketing campaings they can create during the whole year. I stand still with my numbers.

I still don't understand how you came to the 500k units per month number. Is that over a year or just this year?

Oh, oh,! Right, I'm referring purely on this year.

Well, you seem to be aware that almost half of the sales in a year occur in the last quarter of the calendar year. So, monthly arrange for the first few months doesn't really matter.

Don't forget that this year is different. There's something at the last quarter of this one.

You're right - the PS3 might ship 11M instead of  13M. Unless, of course, the PS3 gets a price drop, which is very likely. So, I'd say sales will be stable.

foodfather said:

I don't think america is very brand loyal in general, they go for whatever is best and thats the 360. 

Therefore PS4 has a chance in NA providing Sony don't fuck up the launch like they did with PS3. Unlike Japan and Europe where brand name means everything. I'm surprised 360 made it this far in Europe considering how big the Sony brand is over there.

National loyalty/"patriotism" might be a better explanation than "brand loyalty" here. Many people will prefer a product that seems more associated with their own country. If two products are actually very similar like the PS3 and the 360, americans will show a certain natural tendency to prefer the Microsoft product, because it seems more american (even though the number of american workers who actually benefit from buying a 360 instead of a PS3 will probably be very small). Likewise, asians will probably show a tendency to prefer Sony and Nintendo.

Just a few postings after yours, somewhere already gave a perfect example of that way of thinking:

sidious164 said:
Good. I would hate for an american company to lose here on there home turf. Glad to see we have some patriotism in this country. I supported MS from the first xbox. The majority of my money is going into the pockets of the american worker, not in the pockets of the Japanese all the time, which the majority of the people on this website support more.

In that respect, if anything it makes sense to look at Europe, because they don't have any video game console manufacturers, so they're free from regional/national thinking when buying video game consoles. If anything, they should rather buy Microsoft, because Europe traditionally feels culturally much closer to the USA than to Asia. But in almost all of the dozens of european countries, the PS3 is more popular, for several reasons.

Lawlight said:
Wright said:

You're right - the PS3 might ship 11M instead of  13M. Unless, of course, the PS3 gets a price drop, which is very likely. So, I'd say sales will be stable.

Don't forget the console incoming...

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
A thread title of "Sony won the console war" is also valid.

You mean Nintendo.

Uh... no. Nintendo already forfeited this gen. Only Sony and MS are carrying on.

Forfeited or not, you meant Nintendo back there. If we're talking about sales here =P

Why would I have meant Nintendo?

Because Nintendo won the consoles war the seventh gen.

Dude, just because Wii sold more consoles, games, and made more money doesn't mean they won the gen.

The winner is determined by which platform people on forums enjoy.

That is like giving everyone a first place ribbon even though they finished last.

Lawlight said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:

Why would I have meant Nintendo?

Because Nintendo won the consoles war the seventh gen.

How could they have won when they dropped out of the race and the race is still ongoing?

Last week, I ran against Usain Bolt and he crossed the finish line way ahead of me. He stopped and sat on a bench but I kept running until I reached the finish line. Does this mean I won?

Poor, poor analogy. The race has a fixed target - 100m, 200m, etc. A console race doesn't. Anything else to say?

Not really because it would come down to the age old debate about when a console generation ends which we all know differs from person to person.

Signature goes here!

Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:

More than easily offset by a price drop. I'm sure you realise that the PS3 is still expensive for a system this far in its lifecycle and that price drop will substantially boost sales. I mean, what do you think? That PS3s will stop selling the day the PS4 releases?

To xbox and infinity. Well cheap sells in North America and i am sure somewhat in other parts of the world. The price has been quite attractive for 360 this generation (ignoring subscription costs and accessories).

Lawlight said:
Wright said:
Lawlight said:
Wright said:

More than easily offset by a price drop. I'm sure you realise that the PS3 is still expensive for a system this far in its lifecycle and that price drop will substantially boost sales. I mean, what do you think? That PS3s will stop selling the day the PS4 releases?

No, but PS4's first year will hurt Ps3's sales deeply.